The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 27, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #7,726 of 19,652
It certainly does folder structure, I don't portable amp so cant answer your others. Be very surprised if it isn't better though as the source is top notch. Plugged into hifi and its superb.

Thank you! That's one in the plus column anyway, I can't be bothered navigating by genre or anything - I generally know what I want to listen to.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #7,727 of 19,652
Thank you! That's one in the plus column anyway, I can't be bothered navigating by genre or anything - I generally know what I want to listen to.

Yep, lot of talk about 6000 song limits on tags. I also know what album I want, so like navigating to it!  Didn't have a choice in the good old LP days so I guess it sticks with you. Youngsters eh, don't listen to an album through. No wonder groups don't make Dark Side Of The Moon's anymore
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #7,728 of 19,652
It certainly does folder structure, I don't portable amp so cant answer your others. Be very surprised if it isn't better though as the source is top notch. Plugged into hifi and its superb.

Hi I'm running the X5 + E12 and my HD 598's sound great. Not as good as my HP100 but that a more bass overall sound. I hope this helps you. :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #7,732 of 19,652
Yep, lot of talk about 6000 song limits on tags. I also know what album I want, so like navigating to it!  Didn't have a choice in the good old LP days so I guess it sticks with you. Youngsters eh, don't listen to an album through. No wonder groups don't make Dark Side Of The Moon's anymore:D

I hear you, lol. To be fair there's an awful lot of albums these days that have no thread running through them. They're more just collections of nice songs.

And... Different drugs these days :):):)

Hi I'm running the X5 + E12 and my HD 598's sound great. Not as good as my HP100 but that a more bass overall sound. I hope this helps you. :)

Thanks, this is a help. All the X5 really has to do is drive my M-100's on it's own but allow me to connect my E18 (or buy E12) in amp mode and drive my Sennheiser HD 650's.

I still can't find any comparison between the DAC in the X5 & the E18.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #7,733 of 19,652
Installed 1.27 beta just now, i think i noticed a little neat SQ and volume improvement or is it just me. Just test it yourself , i like it so far. no obstructing bug or whatever still the same as 1.2.3 , (no changelog provided so i dunno)

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #7,734 of 19,652
1.2X Beta Firmware changelog (translated from Chinees by Google, re-post from Russian forum on player.ru):

1.27 beta
1 random play and single cycle, seamless playback failure.
(2) modify the end DSD has an impact sound files.
3 Modify " DSD file playback sound card , the operation is slow to respond " problem.
4 Modify the "Play to the end of the track stuck , you need to plug headphones in order to restore " problem.

1.26beta

1 , modify the "X5 power button and press any button together , the screen flashed " problem.
2 , modify the " system language to Traditional Chinese , Japanese, German , browse files into OTG letter no option but swap tips yes. Browse files , the pop-up shortcut menu , choose when to OTG, OTG top of the screen there is no identification . " problem.
3 , modify " a charger , and power-saving backlight off ( or sleep shutdown ) are open longer than the power-saving backlight off ( or sleep shutdown ) a short time. Saving shutdown ( or sleep shutdown ) time after shutdown when not will be off animation , backlit screen is lit , but no display screen , then press the power button , the screen will look black and white before first display large icons . " issue.
4 , modify the "USB mode DAC, the backlight is not lit , lock screen setting mode 2.1 , connect your computer to put the song after the X5 , the screen saver , press the volume up and down keys or song , the machine automatically put the song key , put the track is X5 in the track, click on the computer at this time if the track playing, the X5 has no output , disconnect the USB X5 fake play, to shut down and then boot to recover . 2, X5 connected to the computer after the release of the song , play the tracks on the computer , after the screen saver , press the volume keys or press the up and down keys song , then a murmur of voices X5 output after disconnecting USB X5 playing track modulation , to shut down and then boot to recover. lock screen one , even when the computer screensavers , long press the volume key will be the same phenomenon . " issue.
5 , modify the "USB storage mode , the lock screen is set to mode 2, X5 connected computers after the release of the song , press the power button until the screen saver or the backlight time to reach the screen saver , press the volume keys or press the down key song , and then disconnect the USB, X5 automatically put the song . " issue.
6.ape-extra high to not support .
7 Modify the " order of play, after the last song release , press on a button to return to the beginning of the track progress bar , but hold the song " problem.
8 Modify the " power cycle , the screen saver lights display, the brightness of the brightness of the screen is not currently set ." Issue.
9 Modify "Setting the backlight brightness is less than the factory default brightness , shut down power , the backlight brightness of the brightest , and enter the system settings to adjust the backlight brightness when the brightness of the backlight unchanged ." Issue.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #7,735 of 19,652
1.2X Beta Firmware changelog (translated from Chinees by Google, re-post from Russian forum on player.ru):

1.27 beta
1 random play and single cycle, seamless playback failure.
(2) modify the end DSD has an impact sound files.
3 Modify " DSD file playback sound card , the operation is slow to respond " problem.
4 Modify the "Play to the end of the track stuck , you need to plug headphones in order to restore " problem.

1.26beta

1 , modify the "X5 power button and press any button together , the screen flashed " problem.
2 , modify the " system language to Traditional Chinese , Japanese, German , browse files into OTG letter no option but swap tips yes. Browse files , the pop-up shortcut menu , choose when to OTG, OTG top of the screen there is no identification . " problem.
3 , modify " a charger , and power-saving backlight off ( or sleep shutdown ) are open longer than the power-saving backlight off ( or sleep shutdown ) a short time. Saving shutdown ( or sleep shutdown ) time after shutdown when not will be off animation , backlit screen is lit , but no display screen , then press the power button , the screen will look black and white before first display large icons . " issue.
4 , modify the "USB mode DAC, the backlight is not lit , lock screen setting mode 2.1 , connect your computer to put the song after the X5 , the screen saver , press the volume up and down keys or song , the machine automatically put the song key , put the track is X5 in the track, click on the computer at this time if the track playing, the X5 has no output , disconnect the USB X5 fake play, to shut down and then boot to recover . 2, X5 connected to the computer after the release of the song , play the tracks on the computer , after the screen saver , press the volume keys or press the up and down keys song , then a murmur of voices X5 output after disconnecting USB X5 playing track modulation , to shut down and then boot to recover. lock screen one , even when the computer screensavers , long press the volume key will be the same phenomenon . " issue.
5 , modify the "USB storage mode , the lock screen is set to mode 2, X5 connected computers after the release of the song , press the power button until the screen saver or the backlight time to reach the screen saver , press the volume keys or press the down key song , and then disconnect the USB, X5 automatically put the song . " issue.
6.ape-extra high to not support .
7 Modify the " order of play, after the last song release , press on a button to return to the beginning of the track progress bar , but hold the song " problem.
8 Modify the " power cycle , the screen saver lights display, the brightness of the brightness of the screen is not currently set ." Issue.
9 Modify "Setting the backlight brightness is less than the factory default brightness , shut down power , the backlight brightness of the brightest , and enter the system settings to adjust the backlight brightness when the brightness of the backlight unchanged ." Issue.

I guess I will install it, 1.23 turned out not stable afterall... 
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #7,737 of 19,652
Dude, Fiio will seriously have big problem if it doesn't sound better than Note 3...

Well of course but in my particular rig the phone is a transport only. I use the DAC in the E18.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #7,740 of 19,652
Originally Posted by HarryHardcase /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@rfox: You said:
Is the X5 the equal of (or better than) the E17 as a DAC?  If so I could sell my E17 to fund the price of the X5.  A review on Headmania mentions if briefly, but I thought I'd get another opinion too. 

Sorry for the delayed reponse - on Holiday right now - not checking the forums as much!  To answer your question, I have NOT yet had the opportunity to try the X5 as a USB DAC - so I can't compare it to the E17 yet - but I plan to do such when I get back home.  I am confident the X5 should be as good if not better than the E17 as a DAC - they may have different sound signatures though.

Cheers,
R.Fox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back