The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #7,398 of 19,652
Odd...I upgraded to 1.23 almost 2 weeks ago, no problems like that at all...is it something in the settings?

You can get v1.20 from the FiiO website if you want to regress. But I've had no such problems with v1.23, and v1.20 doesn't yet have gapless playback working properly.

Interesting...
I will play with the setting and see what I discover. Maybe it's a bug that has to do with the idle and sleep timer. Hmm... (I do have gapless turned off as I don't really need it. Perhaps I should turn this on?)

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #7,399 of 19,652
On a side note:
I've had the X5 for more than 100 hours now and James @ Fiio, amazing job man. Seriously, this thing sounds just jaw-dropping amazing. The Fiio E7 was my first DAC/AMP like 3 years ago and I had the E17, E10, and X3. Amazing to hear how far Fiio has come. My hat off to Fiio for the X5. I've always been proud to own Fiio, but now more than ever.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #7,401 of 19,652
Two questions:

1. Does anyone know when the next "batch" of X5s is coming down the pike here is the US? I don't want to pay the $65 premium currently being charged at the only place I can find it online.

2. Has anyone experienced the X5 with the Shure SRH1540? I'm getting this as my first quality set of headphones and should have them in hand tomorrow. Very exciting... let the addiction begin.

Thanks

I have the X5 (had it three weeks now) and my main headphones for use in the house are in fact, the Shure SRH1540s. I find the X5 and the SRH1540s to be a sublime pairing, although as many others will tell you, the X5s sound signature is slightly to the warm side of neutral. For many genres (classical, jazz) the pairing is stellar as-is, but for some genres (rock, R&B, anything that benefits from extended bass) you may want to couple the X5 with an appropriate amp. In my case, I have the FiiO E11 and it does a beautiful job of upping the bass in this instance. Bear in mind, of course, that how you choose to (or choose not to ) amp the X5 boils down to personal tastes.  I think you are likely to be quite pleased with this source/headphone combo. Enjoy!

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #7,402 of 19,652
  On a side note:
I've had the X5 for more than 100 hours now and James @ Fiio, amazing job man. Seriously, this thing sounds just jaw-dropping amazing. The Fiio E7 was my first DAC/AMP like 3 years ago and I had the E17, E10, and X3. Amazing to hear how far Fiio has come. My hat off to Fiio for the X5. I've always been proud to own Fiio, but now more than ever.
biggrin.gif

Agreed. This is one heck of a music player, especially given its unbelievably modest price tag. Kudos to the FiiO team.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #7,403 of 19,652
Has anyone else been waiting so long on MP4Nation or *insert retailer here* that they don't even want one anymore? Maybe I'm just spoiled by Amazon Prime. If they didn't straight up lie about their stock, when they would have it, and which pre-order group I was in that would have helped as well.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #7,405 of 19,652
  How about compared to iMod? 

I have a diyMod & asked the same question many pages back - got no answer so bought an X5 anyway… Probably shouldn't have bothered - the X5 digs out more detail yes, but it's much less 'musical' and has a very flat 2D soundstage in comparison to the full-bodied, multi-layered diyMod. Adding an amp (JDS Labs C5 in my case) helps a bit - but that sort of defeats the object of having the X5 (for me at least).

The X5 really shines on stripped back, airy productions, but feed it anything densely layered & things start to fall apart pretty quickly - the X5 has a very metallic treble (like early cd's) & this becomes a harsh, hashy mess on complex tracks. Bass is better controlled, but neither as deep nor rich as from the diyMod.

Basically, if you have an iMod, I wouldn't bother with the X5. Don't get me wrong, the X5 isn't bad, but it'll just feel more like a side-step than an upgrade - like moving from high quality analogue to digital for the first time - more detail, but at the expense of a less organic, less realistic experience.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #7,407 of 19,652
  I upgraded to the Beta 1.23, and found that the X5 just turns off randomnly after it's done playing a track. This is normal? Again, I'm not complaining I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

*btw where can I get firmware 1.20 if I want to regress back to it? This turning off thing is kind of getting annoying.

I got same problem like U. U cant do anything on it but it didn't turn off. U need to plug the headphone out and it will come back.... 
James can U fix it in new firmware ? 

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #7,408 of 19,652
  I got same problem like U. U cant do anything on it but it didn't turn off. U need to plug the headphone out and it will come back.... 
James can U fix it in new firmware ? 

Yeah I noticed this too. Unplugging the headphone will bring it out of a weird coma. I need to regress to 1.20. I think I'll just wait for the offical release. I'm done messing around with beta firmware. It's not for me.

*I just turned on gapless to see if the problem goes away. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the new gapless. I will report back if this fixes the issue.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #7,410 of 19,652
Yeah I've had some crashes where the screen just goes black and you can't do anything until you hold the power button for 10 seconds to force shutdown. Happened twice on my way home from work. My gapless is on.. 1.23 beta. Once was in the middle of a song, then it crashed and I turned it off then back on, then went to "now playing" and hit play, then started hitting next to find a song I wanted to listen to and it crashed again during that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back