The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #6,991 of 19,652
[I'm removing this as MP4Nation has started shipping orders again today. I am currently disputing my paypal with them as they are witholding part of my refund as an "adjustment fee". Glad they are shipping. Hopefully my experience is an exception.]

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6,993 of 19,652
Sorry to hear about your experience with mp4 Nation.  I placed my order on 3/21/14 (2nd pre-order) and it was shipped today.  It should arrive tomorrow.  

Heh, I'm glad they finally started shipping them. I must have gotten on their bad side. I'll be getting one from Headroom when they have more. It's not the waiting that gets me so much as having $350 tied up in limbo wity a company that is lying.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6,994 of 19,652
While my experience with MP4 Nation has been limited, I've had no problems.  I placed an order for the X5 on 3/20 and it has shipped today with a expected delivery date for tomorrow.  Last summer I ordered (actually pre-ordered) the X3 without incident.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #6,995 of 19,652
  What I mean by open source, it's free to use OS, no licensing fee.  Also there is firebox and ubuntu.
biggrin.gif
  You can just add a feature with switchable gain or amp stage so it doesn't drain the bettery when not using it with hard to drive headphones.  

Windows is free for devices with screens smaller than 9 inches.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #6,996 of 19,652
  I vote for both suggestions!
I have good eyesight and still can barely read the battery level.  Are there 2 or 3 bars left? Hard to tell, and it's even more complicated when I'm on my bicycle or running. What about older people?

There are bars for the battery level?  Geez, now I'm going to have to get out ye olde magnifying glass and check out what's on the screen...

I guess that means I'm going to have to put my 'vote' in for user-selectable Font size so that people with bad eyesight can make whatever is shown on the screen readable.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #6,997 of 19,652
This also might be a bit too specific, but I'm sure some of you sticklers would agree: when listing Albums in the Artist category view, it would be AWESOME to have them listed in chronological order instead of alphabetical!

I'm a big fan of listening to full artist collections, and really like to go through early albums to later albums, etc. Alphabetical order might work for some people but I find it a bit annoying,

Again this is just nit picky stuff - but I figured if enough people agreed with me maybe we could get an option for that?

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #6,998 of 19,652
I had a question. Does the E12 add the Fiio house sound coloration? What I mean by coloration is: mid-bass hump + shelved down treble to make things dark, like all of their products including the X3.

I hear the X5 is the most neutral Fiio product yet, I just don't want to color it up with the E12 if it's not very neutral. If it is very neutral then great. I'm interested in the E12.

Never heard the X5 but the E12 is very neutral for a portable amp in it's price range.
But it should only be used if the X5 can't drive your 'phones properly.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,999 of 19,652
Pardon me if this has been discussed but I can't find any comments on sound quality of Fiio X5 vs E18. Has anyone done a A:B comparison between these two Fiio products? I have an E18 connected to my android Samsung S3. I was at a local shop today and auditioned the X5. My first impression was the sound stage was much more expansive. E18 soundstage sounded more narrow. I was using the NAD HP50 headphones which I have. It's a neutral sounding set of cans. I've always been happy with the E18 sound until today. Feeling some buyers remorse now on E18. Can anyone else who have compared comment if it's the same impression.

While I loved the sound of the E18, the X5 is a big step up in audio quality, plus it's a DAP while the E18 is only a DAC. I always liked the sound of the E18, so I was excited when I read that FIIO was going with dual 'Burr Brown' DAC chips in the X5. They also did a significant upgrade in both the buffers and opamps in the X5. I'd say the X5 has a larger soundstage, better detail, and improved sound quality over the E18. But I really liked the E18 and it's a real bargain at $150 (plus at least 1 store is selling the old model of the E18 for $130, which is a nice deal if you don't need the change they made in the USB charge setup). Also, I don't know if the X5 can be used as an android DAC like the E18 can. If the DAC function is important to you, you should probably make sure that the X5 can work that way.

There's always going to be a better sounding product than the one you just purchased. But I think that's a good thing.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #7,000 of 19,652
Sorry to hear about your experience with mp4 Nation.  I placed my order on 3/21/14 (2nd pre-order) and it was shipped today.  It should arrive tomorrow.  
hi Mickalmk6, I also ordered the same day, 3/21/2014 4:06 PM CST and still waiting. The status remains unchanged on Preorder. :confused_face_2: Do you know at what time you ordered?

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #7,001 of 19,652
  This also might be a bit too specific, but I'm sure some of you sticklers would agree: when listing Albums in the Artist category view, it would be AWESOME to have them listed in chronological order instead of alphabetical!

I'm a big fan of listening to full artist collections, and really like to go through early albums to later albums, etc. Alphabetical order might work for some people but I find it a bit annoying,

Again this is just nit picky stuff - but I figured if enough people agreed with me maybe we could get an option for that?

Actually another option that I would KILL to have is being able to omit Artists in the Artists category view if the artist is only on a compilation. Does that make sense?
For example, I have a compilation CD with multiple bands (CBGB's and the Birth of US Punk) - but would prefer them to not show up as an artist in the artist view (or maybe showing the compilation album as an artist?)

I guess I'm not sure of a better solution. Maybe the option to omit certain artists from the Artist list?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for this? Not really a huge deal, but it would make me happy :)

Also maybe having the Artist list use the ARTISTSORT ID3 tags? So instead of all the bands starting with "The" being listed together, and without naming the band "Whoevers, The" they would list in the proper order.

Thanks!
Just trying to think of all the little things I would love to have

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #7,004 of 19,652

Your Order #100080388 (placed on March 21, 2014 3:30:42 AM CST)

hi Mickalmk6, I also ordered the same day, 3/21/2014 4:06 PM CST and still waiting. The status remains unchanged on Preorder. :confused_face_2: Do you know at what time you ordered?
you beat me by only 36minutes, I don't hope that I have wait for the next shipment.:cool:
Enjoy your new toy.:L3000:

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #7,005 of 19,652
How will you know if MP4Nation is shipping the x5? Is there a way to check on the website or do i just have to wait for an email? I ordered on March 22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back