The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #6,361 of 19,652

You have to look at it from FiiO's POV - they are only in the DAP market for 2 years or so, so they are only just learning to code their own firmware since they came into the market. Whatever history Apple, Google and Microsoft have is not going to help them much since they are wring their own firmware from the ground up with a small team of in house software engineer and a fairly limited budget. To say there is not much difference between every DAP is more or less naive to the situation. If coding is so easy, we won't have MacOS and Windows keep needing bugfix when both have been in the market for ages.

totally agreed with what u said, every company has their limitation, sometimes times are required to become better, (eg, even iphone 5s has problem of fingerprint sensor got cracked), no offense but everything has its limitation, it's good enough to reflect it to the company, no need to keep on mention about it

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #6,362 of 19,652

You have to look at it from FiiO's POV - they are only in the DAP market for 2 years or so, so they are only just learning to code their own firmware since they came into the market. Whatever history Apple, Google and Microsoft have is not going to help them much since they are wring their own firmware from the ground up with a small team of in house software engineer and a fairly limited budget. To say there is not much difference between every DAP is more or less naive to the situation. If coding is so easy, we won't have MacOS and Windows keep needing bugfix when both have been in the market for ages.

Oh, I completely understand all of that. I could never do coding in a million years!

And also I hope I haven't offended James with any of my comments - as I said a couple of pages ago, I think it's brilliant that Fiio have kept the community in touch every step of the way. If every manufacturer did that, then maybe we'd be a few years more advanced in the DAP world than we are now.

It just seems like such a silly little thing for the player to fall down on.

But, fortunately, it would seem these concerns ARE unfounded, or at least misunderstood, as confirmed by cooperpwc in the Calyx M thread.

X5 back in play!

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6,363 of 19,652
For several months now almost everyone on this thread was very pleased with the process and future product. Now that the product itself is presented and distributed it seems to me that just a few members are bashing FiiO/X5 at one 'missing feature'. FiiO has proven to listen to us in the past months and still does so I think it isn't fair at all and doesn't do justice to this thread.

What should be the limit anyway? I have a very large collection of High-Res/Flac albums but I wouldn't dare to ask Fiio to facilitate approximately 3TB on memory. 2 memory slots should be sufficient to store a lot of albums and it is very easy to copy/paste files. There maybe some other players that can store thousands of files, so if you are looking for that feature pleasse go elsewhere but I'm sure those players will not offer what you really need: Sound Quality!

James, has posted earlier...."expensive DAPS" - relating to other DAPS costing more....if I spend £289 ( WHICH IS NOT A SMALL EXPENSE !!! ) I expect there to be NO ISSUE'S !!!
I purchased a Sony Hi Res Walkman, F886, this does not have "bug", gapless, or storage issues, that need to be sorted AFTER PURCHASE. I'm not anti Fiio. ( I own a E12, which I'm happy with. ) but they shouldn't release a product to market until any problems are ironed out !

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6,364 of 19,652

But, fortunately, it would seem these concerns ARE unfounded, or at least misunderstood, as confirmed by cooperpwc in the Calyx M thread.

X5 back in play!

You cannot shuffle while in folder view, at least not shuffle all, only shuffle the current folder.

The only way to do a device shuffle of all your songs is to go to the "Play By Category" and select "All Songs" and you guessed it. X5 only picks 5800 of your songs at random so you will be missing allot of songs.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #6,367 of 19,652

James, has posted earlier...."expensive DAPS" - relating to other DAPS costing more....if I spend £289 ( WHICH IS NOT A SMALL EXPENSE !!! ) I expect there to be NO ISSUE'S !!!
I purchased a Sony Hi Res Walkman, F886, this does not have "bug", gapless, or storage issues, that need to be sorted AFTER PURCHASE. I'm not anti Fiio. ( I own a E12, which I'm happy with. ) but they shouldn't release a product to market until any problems are ironed out !

no offense, just my 2 cents, like i said even iphone 5s' pride fingerprint sensor got cracked, my point is sometimes they won't know a problem exist until the consumer reflect to them, just give them times and i think it shall be solved in the near future

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6,368 of 19,652
Quite disappointed with inability to connect X5 to PC.  Still won't even get as far as being displayed in Windows 7 device manager as a USB device.  Not impressed with Fiio - non existant - technical support.  After three days no response to email to Fiio technical support. Guess I'm stuck popping out the memory cards and inserting into PC USB slots for music library management. Love everything else about the X5.

Thank you all for you assistance.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #6,369 of 19,652
  You cannot get 5800 FLAC tracks on two 64GB cards. You might be able to on two 128GB cards but even then it depends what you're putting on there. They will probably up the limit later when bigger cards can be used.

If you're using an external HD with all 25,000 of your FLAC files on it you can just use folder browse, and you'll do this anyway rather than wait for 25,000 files to be indexed by the database.

You're only ever going to try to index more than 5800 files if you are using lossy files, in which case there is no reason to have this hardware.

There is no problem here.

I think this is a somewhat ironic and embarrassing problem, where if someone complains about the 5800 file limit, then that automatically means that person is using low bit or lossy compressed files, which means all the effort Fiio has put into its super high res and extremely linear D/A conversion process is wasted.

It's almost like somebody shouting "I refuse to buy this Ferrari because it doesn't have space to fit my five kids!".

The important thing is that the cost and technology put into the X5 is to achieve extremely high precision and quality in the analogue output. X5 is not actually a beefy powerhouse headphone amp for handling any given loads. People might as well use some other high powered portable amps if all the files they use aren't up to the standard of what X5's D/A can deliver.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #6,370 of 19,652
Shuffle All/Shuffle Songs isn't even a feature of concern for me until replaygain (album gain; if value absent then track gain) support is implemented. Up to a 20dB volume difference between tracks, would not be a pleasant experience. Shuffling tracks becomes useful with replaygain. Hopefully album or folder shuffle exists.

edit: to shuffle between albums that is, not within albums. When one album finishes, pick another at random and play it.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #6,371 of 19,652
  no offense, just my 2 cents, like i said even iphone 5s' pride fingerprint sensor got cracked, my point is sometimes they won't know a problem exist until the consumer reflect to them, just give them times and i think it shall be solved in the near future

No offense.....i totally disagree. Fiio can't find out faults / sort out faults, until AFTER product launch, based on customer feedback ?  There's NO EXCUSE, to release this product to market with issues !!
If you were buying any other expensive products like "white" goods, audio / visual products, from a big named brand, would you expect the manufacturers to release them with possible issue's ?? NO. YOU WOULDN'T !! 

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #6,372 of 19,652

I think this is a somewhat ironic and embarrassing problem, where if someone complains about the 5800 file limit, then that automatically means that person is using low bit or lossy compressed files, which means all the effort Fiio has put into its super high res and extremely linear D/A conversion process is wasted.

It's almost like somebody shouting "I refuse to buy this Ferrari because it doesn't have space to fit my five kids!".

The important thing is that the cost and technology put into the X5 is to achieve extremely high precision and quality in the analogue output. X5 is not actually a beefy powerhouse headphone amp for handling any given loads. People might as well use some other high powered portable amps if all the files they use aren't up to the standard of what X5's D/A can deliver.

I'll say it again - I have around 18-19000 songs in a VARIETY of formats. I have many FLAC and WAV files and moving forward most if not all of the stuff I get will be lossless. BUT I also still have a lot in ogg and mp3 (minimum 160 in ogg, 224 in mp3). I do not want to re-rip what I have in ogg and mp3 because I have neither the time nor the inclination to do so with that many albums (ignoring the fact that most of my collection is boxed up in the loft anyway!).

So, I'm looking at the X5 and similar for the SQ with the large amount of lossless files I have, but also hoping that the X5 (or whatever player I get) will also be able to handle the even larger number of lossy files I have - I do not want to carry around multiple source units for those different file formats, nor a case full of memory cards.

So your car analogy does not really apply in my case.

Besides, the Fiio comes with the ability to play lossy file formats and, by all accounts, with better SQ than non-hi def audio players (assuming a decent bit rate to begin with, of course).

So the problem I have is neither embarrassing, nor ironic.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #6,373 of 19,652
Honestly, a better sound chain/better playback quality on lossy files is more likely to make them sound worse than better in my experience. It exposes more clearly their shortcomings. It's not necessarily a good thing to hear (data-) compressed files more clearly.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #6,374 of 19,652
A lot of strange comments here. I think the X5 will work well for most people, which is all any manufacturer can ask for. EVERY consumer electronics device will have some dealbreakers for some people. Whether that's size, removable storage, colour, features, whatever. Just look at how many people hate Apple products because of the limitations on their products. But as a consumer you get to choose. It's a beautiful thing.

I'm definitely going to go over the 5800 limit, as I'll be using MP3s as well as FLACs. Not that I want to start 'that argument', but most people who have tested themselves agree that there's no audible difference between a well encoded 320 MP3 and a FLAC, or even a super duper hi-res FLAC (of the same master and recording). So of course plenty of people will choose to use MP3s. But I'm very used to navigating by folder, so hitting that limit doesn't bother me at all.

I can completely understand that the database limit and other elements of the software are dealbreakers for some people. That doesn't mean FiiO have done something wrong. They've made their choices, and now we get to choose if we agree with them and can vote with our wallets.

My X5 shipped today from HDPHNS. Looking forward to getting it tomorrow! :D

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #6,375 of 19,652
A lot of strange comments here. I think the X5 will work well for most people, which is all any manufacturer can ask for. EVERY consumer electronics device will have some dealbreakers for some people. Whether that's size, removable storage, colour, features, whatever. Just look at how many people hate Apple products because of the limitations on their products. But as a consumer you get to choose. It's a beautiful thing.

I'm definitely going to go over the 5800 limit, as I'll be using MP3s as well as FLACs. Not that I want to start 'that argument', but most people who have tested themselves agree that there's no audible difference between a well encoded 320 MP3 and a FLAC, or even a super duper hi-res FLAC (of the same master and recording). So of course plenty of people will choose to use MP3s. But I'm very used to navigating by folder, so hitting that limit doesn't bother me at all.

I can completely understand that the database limit and other elements of the software are dealbreakers for some people. That doesn't mean FiiO have done something wrong. They've made their choices, and now we get to choose if we agree with them and can vote with our wallets.

My X5 shipped today from HDPHNS. Looking forward to getting it tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if I am right about this, but I think the X5 is more for people who listen to less number of insanely high res files rather than someone who spams ridiculously high number of "normal" res files (even 48/44.1kHz FLACs count here!)

And yes, why won't ReplayGain will be ever supported in the X3/X5 if I am reading recent posts correctly? Is it a hardware issue, or just something to do with the software architecture of the firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back