The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #6,226 of 19,652

please understand that our customer is located in all over the world, usually Chinese user don't care about any genre playback function , in fact, they are unhappy about we change the artist playback mode to Artist--> Album.

and the fact is most Chinese people download the music from internet but not purchase from iTune or Amazon online music shop, so the sound tracks usually does not includes any Tags and they used to play the music through folder playback.

Thanks for the reply James. I guess I will just arrange my songs in folders so that I don't have to rely on tags.
X5 is otherwise a fantastic player. Both the X3 and the X5 are the best DAPs I've used in each price range.

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #6,227 of 19,652

That is really strange and disappointing. I would have thought that is a feature added in early beta stage in a DAP - and this is the 2nd (?) DAP from FiiO.

Do they at least allow random play from user-defined folder structure or within a genre? This would be a decent workaround. Or are those like me who listen on shuffle mode pretty much SOL?

At the moment you could browse music by genre and it lists every track within a particular genre by filename. Not very useful except maybe when listening on shuffle.

Also yeah, the lack of playlists is kind of odd. At the moment the only way to listen are either repeating an album/folder, or manually choosing another when it's done. It would be nice if it at least had a "jump to next folder/album".

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #6,228 of 19,652
  Tried the X5 DAC driver installation - get error message 

Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it.

X5 is showing that it is charging from the USB connection to the PC.

Tried another mini USB cable with same result: charging, but no Upnp USB connectivity - no 'hello, I see you have a new device connected' dialog that I get from all other USB connections (WD drives, iPod, iPhone, DVD recorders, keyboard, mouse, headset etc.)

Guess I will try re-installing the version 1.20 firmware unless there are other suggestions.

Anyone know if Fiio provides technical support?

Thank you.

Have you change the USB mode to DAC? The default mode is storage.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #6,230 of 19,652
  Maybe I should be starting a new thread on this?  Have any X5 owners been able to connect the device using the micro USB cable to a Windows 7 PC for transferring files?  

I am trying to do the following - per X5 user manual:

"Storage: when the X5 is connected to a computer via USB, allows access to TF
cards inserted into the player like a card reader, for transferring songs. The
cards will appear as computer drives. You can drag and drop, copy or delete
songs and create directories to store songs."

I never get the message - per Quick Start Guide - "USB connected.  Please eject drives before disconnecting".  Has this worked for anyone?

If you did get it to work, what did you need to do to have the PC recognize that a new storage device has been connected?  Mine works for charging only (X5 is in 'storage' mode).  Same result using another micro USB cable, so it's not the cable.

Or is everyone pulling the card from the X5 to connect to a PC card slot, as I do.  According to the manual it should be possible to do data connectivity directly with the cable.

Appreciate any thoughts on this, thank you.

Just treat the X5 like other USB storage, disconnect the device from your OS before unplug the cable to avoid possible data lost.

I haven't throughly test the speed of USB port on X5 but I slightly have the feeling it's not as fast as common card reader.

However, again, I'm a lazy person that I probably wont take the microSD card out. 
etysmile.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #6,232 of 19,652
Thank you issachar1943. Yes, I am trying to use the X5 the same way I use my other USB storage devices; with other USB devices, windows plug and play gives the 'happy beep' and new device dialog. With X5 no reaction at all - just shows that it is charging. Tried both modes storage and DAC. Kind of disappointing - don't want to wear out the SD card housing popping the cards in and out all the time. Anyway - thanks again.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #6,233 of 19,652
Just wondering what settings I should use when formatting my micro SD card for use in the X5.   I had all kinds of problems over the weekend trying to do it, with both a generic 128 gb micro sd card from ebay.  (which I got a refund for and am returning today).   as well as a 64gb sandisc I got from amazon (mistakenly ordered non retail packaging am also returning today).   I have 2 retail packaged 64 gb micro cards coming today from amazon and hope to not have the same problems.

I tried formatting both of the above cards with sd formatter and neither seemed to take properly.  I tried copying music over to them and they would either bomb out or act like they took but nothing or only a few songs showed up in the folders. 

Like I said I have 2 news cards coming and hopefully won't experience the same problems.  Thanks for any help that can be provided.    

Mike

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #6,234 of 19,652
  Just wondering what settings I should use when formatting my micro SD card for use in the X5.   I had all kinds of problems over the weekend trying to do it, with both a generic 128 gb micro sd card from ebay.  (which I got a refund for and am returning today).   as well as a 64gb sandisc I got from amazon (mistakenly ordered non retail packaging am also returning today).   I have 2 retail packaged 64 gb micro cards coming today from amazon and hope to not have the same problems.

I tried formatting both of the above cards with sd formatter and neither seemed to take properly.  I tried copying music over to them and they would either bomb out or act like they took but nothing or only a few songs showed up in the folders. 

Like I said I have 2 news cards coming and hopefully won't experience the same problems.  Thanks for any help that can be provided.    

Mike

I believe they need to be formated as FAT, not exFAT or NTFS which is probably the default. Did you format to FAT?

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #6,235 of 19,652
I received a Sandisk Ultra 64GB from Amazon UK  on Friday (simple envelope packaging - anything wrong in that?) and it was in ex-FAT. The SD Formatter linked on here gave no choice of format and re-formatted in ex-Fat!  Used Quick and Standard format.

I then used Windows format to change to NTSF, transferred Music and hope all well once X5 arrives. X5 was due in Amazon on 5th April, still Awaiting Despatch. AV Shop/Amazon now shows stock 21st April. Hope it despatches shortly otherwise I will cancel. Ordered a DX90 today which hopefully sent out within 2 days.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #6,237 of 19,652
  but do take note that x5 manual suggested we format the card into FAT32 for firmware upgrade

Got another 32GB Toshiba card coming today for that. Going to wait on that card to use FAT32 format within X5 as SDFormatter doesn't appear to give choice. Is it necessary to NOT have any music alongside the update file? I know it suggests it in downloaded X5 manual, but would like to fill this up as well.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #6,238 of 19,652
It did mentioned best not to have music files inside but I think it's going to be ok, but still, it's good to have another sd card for firmware upgrade purpose

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #6,239 of 19,652
When I attempted to format with sd formater what is linked here it didnt give me the option to use fat32 or just fat.  It left everything as exfat.   I did try using windows to format but it went just as poorly.   I'm hoping it was just because the cards were bad.    I'll be trying again tonight with the new cards and see what happens.   

I do have a 16gb card that I am going to use for firmware updates.   I believe the X5 comes with 1.20 which I will probably leave on until the problems with 1.21 get worked out.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #6,240 of 19,652

Got another 32GB Toshiba card coming today for that. Going to wait on that card to use FAT32 format within X5 as SDFormatter doesn't appear to give choice. Is it necessary to NOT have any music alongside the update file? I know it suggests it in downloaded X5 manual, but would like to fill this up as well.

I also have 2 cards formatted in NTSF and already loaded music on it. I saw somewhere that NTSF will be supported as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back