The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,941 of 19,652
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #5,942 of 19,652
This is very disappointing to hear. I was hoping this fatal flaw was going to be resolved in the x5. I'm not going to order one until I've heard more from users who've had a chance to use the device for a while. I have no interest in struggling with yet another crashy FiiO DAP.

Well I have to admit that it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as the X3 so far. I haven't had it long enough to get an overall picture of stability. I do think the X5 is way more responsive though.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #5,943 of 19,652
Not sure why you would bother with gapless playback when a) it doesn't work properly anyway and b) you aren't listening to an album that continuously flows between songs i.e. intended for gapless :p

a) it does lessen the gap between songs, just not entirely. I feel it still needs work.
B) I use gapless because with a lot of the albums I listen to the songs do indeed continuously flow together and are intended for gapless. Otherwise I would turn it off.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #5,944 of 19,652
  B&H now showing the X-5 available for pre-order.  

Just got on the list!

Now I need to figure out which SD card to pick up. Any recommendations on what Fiio recommends? Specifically which SanDisc model (64GB is fine for now)?

B&H has had the X5 advertised for preorder since at least March 1. As of April 2, when I chatted with a B&H rep, they have absolutely NO date for receipt of the product. I would strongly suggest if you are in a hurry to get the X5, go with a company that is actually going to receive a shipment. Otherwise you may well be in for a long wait. Anyway, when I found out from B&H that they weren't in line to receive any of the early shipments of the X5 (which apparently I'm not the only person to assume this), I cancelled my order and placed an order with a company that actually has the product on order. Headphone.com and MP4nation have both been mentioned as having incoming stock in the next day or so. Anyway, that's why I've posted about this problem with B&H since I'm obviously not the only one who 'misunderstood' their meaning of preorder.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #5,945 of 19,652

B&H has had the X5 advertised for preorder since at least March 1. As of April 2, when I chatted with a B&H rep, they have absolutely NO date for receipt of the product. I would strongly suggest if you are in a hurry to get the X5, go with a company that is actually going to receive a shipment. Otherwise you may well be in for a long wait. Anyway, when I found out from B&H that they weren't in line to receive any of the early shipments of the X5 (which apparently I'm not the only person to assume this), I cancelled my order and placed an order with a company that actually has the product on order. Headphone.com and MP4nation have both been mentioned as having incoming stock in the next day or so. Anyway, that's why I've posted about this problem with B&H since I'm obviously not the only one who 'misunderstood' their meaning of preorder.

You really need to stop posting incorrect information about B&H.  B&H is going to receive a shipment, along with all other authorized dealers.  Unlike many other dealers, B&H is honest when it says it doesn't know when it will be received.  B&H has not had it advertised for preorder continuously since March 1st.  It was listed as back-order, no pre-order available, sometime after the initial listing and only within the last day or two has B&H begun accepting pre-orders again.

You made a mistake based on your erroneous assumption.  It was your fault, not B&H's.  Get over it.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #5,946 of 19,652
So gapless doesn't work properly and it takes 3 seconds to start the music when you change the folder... what is fiio going to do?

The sound is very good, so is the built quality...but the only things about the x5 that are decent.

I own a x5.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #5,947 of 19,652
So gapless doesn't work properly and it takes 3 seconds to start the music when you change the folder... what is fiio going to do?

The sound is very good, so is the built quality...but the only things about the x5 that are decent.

I own a x5.

Can you (or any other folks who have got their X5) comment on any lag when skipping tracks within a folder? Also, do you find the volume lag to be severe or manageable? Thanks!

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #5,948 of 19,652
yes the volume lags with both, wheel and buttons, additionally the volume on the display freezes for a moment when you change it quickly, with the buttons it just goes on even when you stop pushing, about 4 steps, for example: you press the buttons from volume 20 to 40 as fast as you can, then it keeps going for 4-6 steps.

fiio has got a lot of work to do on the firmware, dual core in the x5? whatever dood!

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5,949 of 19,652
So I am trying to upload music onto the X5 but it is saying my card is not compatible, but I bought a 64 GB MicroSD XC card from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH6JS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, it is saying something about FAT32 vs. exFAT file systems, I have no idea what this all means, can someone that understands this stuff better please help me let me know what I need to do.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,950 of 19,652
So I am trying to upload music onto the X5 but it is saying my card is not compatible, but I bought a 64 GB MicroSD XC card from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH6JS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, it is saying something about FAT32 vs. exFAT file systems, I have no idea what this all means, can someone that understands this stuff better please help me let me know what I need to do.

I believe the cards need to be formatted in fat32. You should be able to do this by right clicking on the card drive in your pc and going to format. Select fat32. Fyi this will erase the card contents.

edit: I do see that the amazon page says "Reformat into file system other than exFAT may cause instability". I think it needs to be fat32 for the x5 to read, so perhaps not the best choice card - maybe someone else with that card can inform if they formatted to fat32 with good results. If nothing else, give it a shot and see if it works.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #5,951 of 19,652
Ok, thanks I will give that a try, though the link I pasted from Amazon states: "Reformat into file system other than exFAT may cause instability" so I am assuming I should just return this one and try a different one?

Also, the 128 GB one's that were just released, will they be exFAT too? I'm kind of scared that I will only be able to use 32GB cards now, because that's all I see that state clearly FAT32

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #5,952 of 19,652
Also, as far as reformatting goes, when I right click I only see 2 options: exFAT (Default) & NTFS??? I wish these things were easier to figure out, guess I just thought and MicroSD card would work.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #5,955 of 19,652
According to Fiio, the X5 will work with cards formatted to either fat32 or NTFS.  However, if you need to do a firmware upgrade, you can only do it from a card formatted as fat32.

exFat is NOT the same as fat32 and, according to Fiio, will not work with the X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back