The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 19, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #13,652 of 19,652
LOL. Big step from SE215, Etys, etc. but a great recommendation (I just got a pair)

If you don't want such a huge price leap, maybe try the Audiofly AF140 or AF180

Agreed, the K10 is a huge step. My justification was it would cost less in the long run (as opposed to multiple upgrades in search of the best sound).

Bonus 1: EARGASM!
Bonus 2: EAR BLING!

Now let's see if the K10 sounds better with the X5 + a nice amp .....

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #13,654 of 19,652
@ brooko @olddude Thanks for the advice guys a few weeks before, sorry for not replying ASAP, i will get fidue a83 to pair with X5. massdrop is open for the first batch price 259.99, i am trying to request for the second batch here

@all if you guys interested in fidue a83, kindly search @ massdrop and through search box type fidue A83 and request it for a second batch request :)

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #13,655 of 19,652
  Olddude,

I have figured out how to get the Mac hidden files to be removed, so that is all good. I haven't tried BlueHarvest, but may try it the next time.

I have tried transferring the files in the X5 and also from a card reader, but once the problems began, nothing seems to work after that, including both Mac and Windows machines,  Basically, the card is destroyed. Nothing that I have tried can repair it.

I suspect the X5 still has problems with 128GB cards.

I don't have any other micro cards here to try.

---Michael

I use a SanDisk 128 GB in my X5 and it's fine.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #13,657 of 19,652
  I have 2 x SanDisk 128 Gb in mine - both work perfect for 6-8 months already!

All you folks using these cards, did you reformat it before using it?  It should have come from SD formatted as exFAT, which I don't believe is supported by the X5, so I'm curious what you did.

I did reformat it in the X5.  That is my concern because that is where I think the problems began.

---Michael

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #13,658 of 19,652
  All you folks using these cards, did you reformat it before using it?  It should have come from SD formatted as exFAT, which I don't believe is supported by the X5, so I'm curious what you did.

I did reformat it in the X5.  That is my concern because that is where I think the problems began.

---Michael

yes, to FAT32 in a card reader, not in X5. exFAT is not supported.
I use a free HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool  to format any card in Windows 8.

Can you just reformat it again in a card reader using the tool I've mentioned above?

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #13,659 of 19,652
  yes, to FAT32 in a card reader, not in X5. exFAT is not supported.
I use a free HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool  to format any card in Windows 8.

Can you just reformat it again in a card reader using the tool I've mentioned above?

Don't quote me but, I read in the manual that the X5 can read X-FAT, but you must use a FAT32 to update the firmware.  Not positive but might be worth checking out.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #13,660 of 19,652
with a new firmware?  I'm still on 2.07b.
I just remember that I tried to insert a card in exFAT from Dx90 into the X5 - it could not read it, never tried it again...

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #13,663 of 19,652
I have a loaner FiiO X5 (thanks, Paul!) coming in today, really excited to see how it sounds with the K812, and to see if I'm going to go with a dac/amp for an android phone or the DAP route instead. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #13,664 of 19,652
How did you set your J3? What are you using to test it ?
I am trying with BBE 8 , Bass setting 8 with the Um3DD and the carbo singolo

J3 itself, tried with all eq settings, mostly all settings off, and every profile possible. it is kind of late for me to read what are the main settings in j3 for hd380pro, but i had personalized settings only for them, and even then, x5 was better with no eq at all...  my headphones are sennheiser ie8, hd380pro, and ultrasone dj one pro. Music was wintersun, sonata arctica, evanescence, infant annihilator, und SOAD. The differences were much more proeminent with ultrasone and senn hd380 pro. tested it with hd650 too. Well, only x5 was able to drive hd650, with j3 it was just not worth it at all...

x5 won in every possible category...

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #13,665 of 19,652
  I have a loaner FiiO X5 (thanks, Paul!) coming in today, really excited to see how it sounds with the K812, and to see if I'm going to go with a dac/amp for an android phone or the DAP route instead. 

When I was at TAVES a few weeks ago I went into the Woo audio room and there was a person listening to a pair of Audeze headphones. On a rack at the back of the chair he was sitting in was a pair of K812's. I picked them up to have a look, with the thought of trying them with my X5, when the man in the chair turned around and said,"Those are mine." I apologized, and he said, " No problem you can look at them." After that I didn't have the gall to ask if I could try them out with my X5. I'm sure they would have sounded great even though that is most likely not the application a set of headphones like that were designed for. They appear very well built.

BTW, the gentleman in the chair was listening to the Audeze's through a pair of $15,000 Woo Audio mono block headphone amplifiers. Hey, they had them on special for the show at just $11,000. I didn't get a chance to hear them either as there was quite the lineup, although one person I asked said they were by far the best sounding headphone amp he has ever heard. They had better be for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back