The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #10,232 of 19,652
More power and voltage swing.  I will be getting DX100 and see how it fares.

23_3_6b7c15e840b3ebf.jpg

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #10,233 of 19,652
Really? I always get the feeling that my X5 is bassy, and the vocals are very forward and the sound is very intimate. my Havi B3 which a lot of people say is bass light seems bassy to me coming straight from the X5.

I was wondering at what causes the black background of the X5. Is it the DAC or the Amp section? Dark background and intimate sound is really not my type of signature cause it makes me feel like I'm listening to some closed headphones. I prefer a relaxing and open sound, and I tested a fiio E9 with the X5 and it sounded more open and relaxed.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #10,234 of 19,652
  Really? I always get the feeling that my X5 is bassy, and the vocals are very forward and the sound is very intimate. my Havi B3 which a lot of people say is bass light seems bassy to me coming straight from the X5.

I was wondering at what causes the black background of the X5. Is it the DAC or the Amp section? Dark background and intimate sound is really not my type of signature cause it makes me feel like I'm listening to some closed headphones. I prefer a relaxing and open sound, and I tested a fiio E9 with the X5 and it sounded more open and relaxed.

If you want to hear bassy, listen to DX90.   X5 is indeed relaxed, and it gives a neutral impression.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #10,236 of 19,652
So it is not only gives more power to the device but also clean sound? already it sounds very clean to me without the e12 .. :)
I'll buck the trend, and say that the E12 darkens the sound compared to the HO...

So, if you have bright, hard to drive headphones (Beyer DT770 let's say) the E12 would be a godsend, but - if you have duller, easier to drive earphones (say the UE TF10) then you may actually prefer the HO of the X5...

...That isn't the case with all amps though, as the amp I've just upgraded to is a lot cleaner sounding than the E12, amazingly expressive :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #10,237 of 19,652
I'll buck the trend, and say that the E12 darkens the sound compared to the HO...

So, if you have bright, hard to drive headphones (Beyer DT770 let's say) the E12 would be a godsend, but - if you have duller, easier to drive earphones (say the UE TF10) then you may actually prefer the HO of the X5...

...That isn't the case with all amps though, as the amp I've just upgraded to is a lot cleaner sounding than the E12, amazingly expressive
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Duncan,  when you say clean sounding, does it also mean it picks up more intricate details?  I've been noticing some DAC/DAPs with smoothed out signature and I"m not looking for that.  

Which Amps do you recommend interms of detail retrival and clarity? 

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #10,239 of 19,652
Silverears...

The E12 is like the Sennheiser HD600, great sounding - but 'veiled', the Vorzuge Duo that I'm now using is like the Sennheiser HD800 - ultra revealing, like you say - detail retrieval, soundstage, clarity, depth of sound - much much better than the FiiO...

That isn't to say the FiiO is bad, not at all, especially for it's cost, amazing little product, but - upping the ante and going up a few levels in terms of cost, really does reveal just how good a sound an amp can produce :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #10,240 of 19,652
Thank U
I own the B&W P7 so I guess I dont need the e12
Cannot say I've heard the P7, however - if they have the same essential sonic signature as the P5, then - yes, the HO will probably be better in terms of treble lift...

I should add the caveat that as long as you remain in the 16/44 (or 48) realm, that the EQ (which I never use) should - AFAIK work through the line-out, (it doesn't with hi-res files) so - you'd get the best of both worlds...

If it additionally helps, to these ears (using Senn IE800) the E12 (non-DIY) seems to add a bit of a mid-bass hump to the sound (even without bass-boost applied), which - some will love, and - others won't.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #10,241 of 19,652
Hmm... just installed firmware 2.0.
After listening to some DSD and flac files the X5 sometimes flips and keeps skipping tracks or making weird noises. :frowning2:

Whenever he doesn't do these crazy things, it sounds wonderfull:)

Thanks for this if it's a general problem I might wait until 2.5 ! The new X3 ui actually looks more like a modern consumer interface rather than the Dogs Breakfast of the X5.
Has anybody heard whether the X5 is going to get anything similar?

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #10,242 of 19,652
Are you guys using the e12 regular edition or e12 DIY? I find the e12(regular) to sound a little bright and thin without the bass boost, if not a bit forward. Of course this is compared to the HA-1 so not really fair. Been thinking of a higher end portable for the X5->amp->XC. They're easy enough to drive loud but I find they absolutely need an amp to get the best out of them. I'm thinking of picking up the CL Duet.

And the upgrade cycle continues......

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #10,243 of 19,652
Thanks for this if it's a general problem I might wait until 2.5 ! The new X3 ui actually looks more like a modern consumer interface rather than the Dogs Breakfast of the X5.
Has anybody heard whether the X5 is going to get anything similar?

I hope X5 doesn't get the X3 UI!! To me the X3 UI isn't very coherent with the button layout. The X5 UI on the other hand works quite well for a scroll wheel in my opinion and I like that it's unique. I have no problem with the scroll direction. I just scroll towards what I want to select, others would disagree. If they went for a similar 'modern' UI they should do it on a device with a touch interface or include a mini joystick like some Canon SLR's. HA! That would be different.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #10,244 of 19,652
I hope X5 doesn't get the X3 UI!! To me the X3 UI isn't very coherent with the button layout. The X5 UI on the other hand works quite well for a scroll wheel in my opinion and I like that it's unique. I have no problem with the scroll direction. I just scroll towards what I want to select, others would disagree. If they went for a similar 'modern' UI they should do it on a device with a touch interface or include a mini joystick like some Canon SLR's. HA! That would be different.

I actually agree with this , I prefer the X5 UI compared to the X3 , old or new , however the best UI in the audiophile dap scene I have ever used is the AK series though , J3 from cowon is also fine , the DX50 works ok

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #10,245 of 19,652
Are you guys using the e12 regular edition or e12 DIY? I find the e12(regular) to sound a little bright and thin without the bass boost, if not a bit forward. Of course this is compared to the HA-1 so not really fair. Been thinking of a higher end portable for the X5->amp->XC. They're easy enough to drive loud but I find they absolutely need an amp to get the best out of them. I'm thinking of picking up the CL Duet.

And the upgrade cycle continues......
Regular for me...

...One of those annoying things that now I've heard the thick mid-bass once, I'll hear it every time... Thankfully, even if I don't take the Vorzuge with me, I can take the TTVJ Slim I picked up for a tubesque listen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back