The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #2,236 of 19,652

Thanks mate, wonderful info. I miss chatting with you but you can't imagine how busy I am nowadays. Don't worry I didn't forget you, it is just I need more free time to write detailed reply
wink.gif

I wish OTG was USB Audio Out btw. Do you think you can ask him if it is possible to have it in the future with firmware updates?

Yeah :D Sure , take your time , I take at least 30minutes to give a detailed reply lol :D USB audio out meaning that , connecting to an external source to play the music with X5 ? Sorry am not really sure :frowning2: 

Something like this ? http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57363164-285/make-the-most-out-of-your-computers-usb-audio-port/

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,237 of 19,652
dont read too much into that poll. The sample size is WAY to small.  It's power is no where near strong enought to show what the people really want.  500gb - 1tb store is just ridiculous.  How much music do you guys expect to carry around?  Seriously?  Two sd card slots...sure; thats reasonable.  OTG host is the 2nd lowest wanted feature.  only above analog line in.  

Well, apparently 82 Headfiers did not think 1TB storage is ridiculous. I would value 82 voices significantly more than a few (though very active) voices, if I was James / Fiio. Many people with >500GB of music want to carry all of their collection on-the-go, which sounds reasonable (not "ridiculous") to me. Super slim (slimmer than a pencil) 500GB hard drive is available now. 

My point is, since two full-sized SD slots is not an option for X5 currently, OTG host function is a smart work-around solution. 

The poll was not designed to be a scientific research. It is there to show a trend. Whether or not the trend is significant needs work from a statistician using Chi-square test or similar test. The poll options should also be altered if we want to be scientifically rigorous. I would not be so quick to say that sample size is too small, power is not enough, or trend is not significant. It depends on your target market population and hypothesis. My gut feeling is that 82 vs a handful would be a significant trend in chi square test, but my training in science and law tells me not to make such a statement without solid data/evidence. I would believe it if a statistician demonstrates such.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2,238 of 19,652
Well, apparently 82 Headfiers did not think 1TB storage is ridiculous. I would value 82 voices significantly more than a few (though very active) voices, if I was James / Fiio. Many people with >500GB of music want to carry all of their collection on-the-go, which sounds reasonable (not "ridiculous") to me. Super slim (slimmer than a pencil) 500GB hard drive is available now.

Someone (not necessarily Fiio) will eventually offer a DAP with a single memory slot, for one of these (or equivalent):

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/ssd/sata/u110/

essentially shunting the investment decision for memory capacity-vs-price onto the consumer (much like the zero-onboard-memory X5 does with MicroSD slots)

Capacities of SSDs keep rising, and prices falling.

MicroSD is OK, but (IMO) it's too slow where ever-increasingly-large capacities are involved.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,240 of 19,652
  But speaking of MicroSD, I just happened to check Amazon for the first time in months, and noticed they are selling 128gb Samsung MicroSD cards for £50:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Essential-Memory-without-Adapter/dp/B00H0J8PTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387217054&sr=8-1&keywords=microsd+128gb

I'm gob-smacked. Maybe the rest of you already knew that 128gb MicroSDs could be had this cheap, but this really surprised me. Last time I checked, 64gb was £40, so 128gb for £50 is a stunning bargain.

Of course, I don't know how compatible 128gb will be with devices intended for cards no larger than 64gb...

It seems obviously fake to me. Look at the blurred out front packaging, then on the back it only goes up to 32gb. Also on the back is 2011 date. 128gb micro sd cards don't even exist in quantity today, much less in 2011. 

Just a heads up so no one gets ripped off.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #2,241 of 19,652

It seems obviously fake to me. Look at the blurred out front packaging, then on the back it only goes up to 32gb. Also on the back is 2011 date. 128gb micro sd cards don't even exist in quantity today, much less in 2011. 

Just a heads up so no one gets ripped off.

Perhaps. Or they could just be re-using existing photos out of laziness.

But I do trust Amazon, so if it turns out to be bad, then Amazon will refund.

I just checked Amazon US and they have Sandisk 128gb for about a hundred bucks

http://www.talkandroid.com/157918-samsung-begins-mass-producing-128gb-flash-memory-chips-using-10nm-process/

(April 11 2013)

"Samsung has started mass producing 128GB flash memory chips that feature the highest density in the industry, and are made with a 10nm process. Such high-capacity flash memory chips already exist in the marketplace, and the South Korean company is looking to not only bring smaller flash memory chips to mobile devices, but also replace traditional hard drives. These new flash memory chips are rated for 400Mbps throughput and according to Samsung, will be utilized in its high-capacity microSD cards..."

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,242 of 19,652
Dec 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,243 of 19,652
Dec 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,244 of 19,652
  I think most of us voted for the ES9018 DAC chip instead of the larger storage.  If Fiio really listen to us, then please change the PCM1792 to the ES9018K2M. I don't wanna wait another 1 year to have the ES9018K2M DAP. Give me a ES9018K2M X5, even the price is 50USD or 100USD higher.

U trolling right? You notice that X5 is ready and available to buy? What kind of statement is that "if Fiio really listen to us then change the dac chip"

Grow up kiddo.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,245 of 19,652

My point is, since two full-sized SD slots is not an option for X5 currently, OTG host function is a smart work-around solution. 

The poll was not designed to be a scientific research. It is there to show a trend. Whether or not the trend is significant needs work from a statistician using Chi-square test or similar test. The poll options should also be altered if we want to be scientifically rigorous. I would not be so quick to say that sample size is too small, power is not enough, or trend is not significant. It depends on your target market population and hypothesis. My gut feeling is that 82 vs a handful would be a significant trend in chi square test, but my training in science and law tells me not to make such a statement without solid data/evidence. I would believe it if a statistician demonstrates such.

like i said; I wouldn't read too much into that poll.  Sample size is way too small to get any sort of real reading from it.  You don't need a statistician; sample size is way too small.  A sample size of 1000 is still way too small.  Are you serious saying that the sample size isn't too small? get real; any one from any science background can tell you that.  It's power is no where near strong enough.  Tests can say anything but if it's not even deemed valid from the get go then its results are all moot.  

You want a HDD?  Batterly life would be crap on the thing.  SSD?  500gb ssd is way north of 400 bucks alone.  People need to be reasonable and logical in what should be expected.  I'd love a 1tb dap with a 1 week long battery life, dual sabre dacs, full size usb port, 2 sd card slots, 1920 x 1080 screen w/ wireless qi charging while im at it...and they pay me to take it off their hands.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,246 of 19,652
  Yeah :D Sure , take your time , I take at least 30minutes to give a detailed reply lol :D USB audio out meaning that , connecting to an external source to play the music with X5 ? Sorry am not really sure :frowning2: 

Something like this ? http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57363164-285/make-the-most-out-of-your-computers-usb-audio-port/

USB audio out is, X5 sends audio data from its usb port, that you connect it to dac/amp with USB input (like Centrance M8, Cypher Labs Theorem) and with that you bypass X5's dac and amp, use the M8's or Theorem's dac/amp.

Coaxial out is also doing the same but then you need a device with Coax input to pair with it. The one I am interested is Centrance M8, which unfortunately doesn't have coax input.

I talked with Mr Goodman from Centrance, he said for the moment they can't change the production plan but he is also a nice guy who listens to his customers (just like James from FiiO) he said in the future he might think about it, while it is not a promise of course, it is better than nothing.

The thing is, it is not a deal breaker for me. I trust FiiO's implementation of PCM dac, so if I need something extra, I can get a TOTL portable amp and pair with it through line out/line in. Wagnus Epsilon S is in my mind but that's definitely transportable, not portable.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,247 of 19,652
  But speaking of MicroSD, I just happened to check Amazon for the first time in months, and noticed they are selling 128gb Samsung MicroSD cards for £50:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Essential-Memory-without-Adapter/dp/B00H0J8PTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387217054&sr=8-1&keywords=microsd+128gb

I'm gob-smacked. Maybe the rest of you already knew that 128gb MicroSDs could be had this cheap, but this really surprised me. Last time I checked, 64gb was £40, so 128gb for £50 is a stunning bargain.

Of course, I don't know how compatible 128gb will be with devices intended for cards no larger than 64gb...

Definitely fake. Look at the reviews of the other card they sell:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/64GB-Micro-Class-Memory-Adaptor/dp/B00B3TF7CS

I'm surprised that Amazon allow it - but clearly they do.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,248 of 19,652
Will someone please wake me up when the Fiio x5 is released in the US.
beerchug.gif

Also, anyone know the exact US release date? March 2014?

Also, Is there going to be some kind of First, Second & Third batch group buy? (Count me in!)
blink.gif

or does anyone know when Amazon will have them?

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2,250 of 19,652
  reported it to amazon

Definitely fake. Look at the reviews of the other card they sell:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/64GB-Micro-Class-Memory-Adaptor/dp/B00B3TF7CS

I'm surprised that Amazon allow it - but clearly they do.

reported it to amazon

The Amazon response was rather odd, see chat transcript section below:

07:55 PM(GMT) DC-K: Good evening
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Essential-Memory-without-Adapter/dp/B00H0J8PTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387217054&sr=8-1&keywords=microsd+128gb I'm pretty sure there's no such item
I think 64gb is the largest micro sd card available
07:56 PM(GMT) Janakiraman(CSA): I understand your concern. 
07:57 PM(GMT) Janakiraman(CSA): I can see this item was sold by the seller The Orange Emporium.
07:58 PM(GMT) DC-K: and "Fulfilled by Amazon"
07:59 PM(GMT) Janakiraman(CSA): Yes. 
08:00 PM(GMT) Janakiraman(CSA): In this case, I request you place the order for the item. If you are not satisfied with the item I request you to contact us. We will issue full refund and investigate on this product.

I politely declined...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back