The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #18,526 of 19,652
I use EQ to drop the volume on Line Out, since my Alo Rx's gain is too high. Dropping all the EQ sliders to the bottom reduces volume a lot.

Fantastic idea - thanks.  Should also work when I'm testing amps that have the gain set too high & still want to use the Fiio to perform DAP function in reviews.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #18,528 of 19,652
<wierd gif> *snipped*

What was wrong with AI's idea?  I thought it was a very creative way of lowering the volume on the line-out.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #18,529 of 19,652
Oct 15, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #18,530 of 19,652
I use EQ to drop the volume on Line Out, since my Alo Rx's gain is too high. Dropping all the EQ sliders to the bottom reduces volume a lot.

Fantastic idea - thanks.  Should also work when I'm testing amps that have the gain set too high & still want to use the Fiio to perform DAP function in reviews.

So, from what I remember when measurements were taken with all sliders down, the FR creeps up to 0dB on either end. So you get more sub-bass and bat-treble with EQ sliders down. Pretty sure the opposite happens with sliders all the way up - roll off.

This is all just from memory, so take it with a grain of salt and remeasure as needed...

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #18,532 of 19,652
Digital errors/bit reduction, although if the x5 is a 32bit float it technically shouldn't effect sound quality..

Oh and I was laughing at the animated gif, not your post

Thanks :)  I'll measure it later. Might as well since I have the ability now.

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #18,533 of 19,652
Aaaaand - back to the drawing board.

Can hook the X5 up as DAC and easily measure it.  But when I apply the EQ - it doesn't register when used as a DAC. So I tried using a recorded piece of pink noise, and that doesn't seem to play nicely with ARTA (which wants it's own generated signal).

Still playing around - but this might take me a little longer until I nut it out ....

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #18,535 of 19,652
Yep - that's what I'm trying to do. Also just found out that my soundcard has a very small roll-off from 100 Hz down (0.5 dB total between 20-100 Hz), and a gradual rise (again less than 0.5 dB) around 15 kHz.  So I'm trying to null that before I go any further.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #18,537 of 19,652
Fixed the roll off - but yet to find a white or pink noise file that ARTA will recognise and give me a nice output signal on.  Frustrating.  If the X5 had an actual input - then it would be easy.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #18,538 of 19,652
I'm using the X5 as dac with my laptop and an E12, thinking of getting a schiit dac, magni2.

Is the magni2 better than the X5 as a dac?

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #18,539 of 19,652
  I had a couple of 'miscues' with the player recently.

1. the player froze and I couldn't turn it off. I had to do a quick internet search and figure out how to reboot.

2. I couldn't figure out why the sound quality was so muffled during a recent listen. It turns out that the EQ was turned on to the 'custom' setting. I probably just activated the EQ while scrolling through. Anyway, I de-activated the EQ and now the player sounds just as sweet as ever. :)

Seriously, the X5 just sounds so wrong with EQ activated. 

Can't tell you how many times I did that, and thought my rig sounded funny for a while.  Usually, it was because I thought I was starting my song-searching from the wrong place in the menu chain.
I just figured out from using my new DAP, that I could've saved a lot of time by hitting the top left button first.
Headslap!

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #18,540 of 19,652
Fixed that for you.

The X5 original was released late 2013, so it is now almost 2 years old.  Back then, it was revolutionary in the features and SQ you got for the price.  I still regard it is very good value for money - even today.  And then when you look at what you can pick it up for - especially second hand now that newer models are out - let me just say that I disagree with you.

Name another 3-4 players with similar sonics and features, at X5 price or better.  And please take everything into account - including amplification, storage capacity, supported formats, battery life, form factor, inputs and outputs, EQ, ability to be used line-out, digital out, isolate DAC only etc.

It just struck me, that I'm not sure the original short statement without any explanation, deserved such a sensible reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back