The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6,256 of 17,483
While I would love to claim credit, I'm just reporting on what they're already doing. They're on the ball.
smily_headphones1.gif

But you still passed it along. So - partly - credit goes to you as well.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #6,257 of 17,483
  I have a question about track sorting (sorry if it's been covered; I searched various ways to no avail).
Since the X3 works off song titles rather than tags, I renamed all of my music, so within the album folder each is "1-01 - First Title", "1-02 - Second Title", etc.
(...)
I figured out that it does NOT do this is the leading "1-" is removed, but there are other reasons I have that there.
Help?
Thanks!
-- Monte

For me not having the leading '1-' does help. My tracks all start with '01. ... 02. ... 03. etc. and the X3 sorts them exactly the same way as they are on the HDD.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #6,258 of 17,483

Oh, that´s interesting and therefore I have to ask... system noise? What do you mean? I haven´t found any trace of noise caused by the system yet.

I could be wrong about this but I saw a very expanded line or dig out graph where there were minor beats that I suspect were from the voltage splitter. Nothing to worry about but the sort of thing that can be further improved or filtered with more funds available. Why I said quieter instead of quiet. It already appears quiet but in a very revealing high end type player, a smoother PS can make a difference. I believe these are direct coupled out so it's important that the V rails stay balanced to avoid DC offset. The sort of thing only safely achieved with an active and accurate V splitter but they need to be smoothed. The other option is capacitor coupling the output which is less desirable for a couple reasons. 

I plan on trying an X5 at some point. I do like all the bits they've chosen, including the PCM1792. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #6,259 of 17,483
  I have a question about track sorting (sorry if it's been covered; I searched various ways to no avail).
Since the X3 works off song titles rather than tags, I renamed all of my music, so within the album folder each is "1-01 - First Title", "1-02 - Second Title", etc. The problem is that the X3 sometimes puts the last track at the end and vice versa -- so the King Crimson album Islands is:
   1-01 - Formentera Lady.m4a
   1-02 - Sailor's Tale.m4a
   1-11 - The Letters [RehearsalOuttake].m4a
   1-12 - Ladies of the Road [Robert Fripp & David Singleton Remix].m4a
On the X3 it is sorted:
   1-12 - Ladies of the Road [Robert Fripp & David Singleton Remix].m4a
   1-02 - Sailor's Tale.m4a
   1-11 - The Letters [RehearsalOuttake].m4a
   1-01 - Formentera Lady.m4a
This is annoying generally, but especially so with this album because Formentera Lady and Sailor's Tale are sort of a single 2-part song.
I figured out that it does NOT do this is the leading "1-" is removed, but there are other reasons I have that there.
Help?
Thanks!
-- Monte

What about naming them as <disc number - 2 digits padded with 0s><track number also padded> - <title>?

Would be easy to do with most tagging software(mp3tag, etc).

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #6,262 of 17,483

What about naming them as <disc number - 2 digits padded with 0s><track number also padded> - <title>?

Would be easy to do with most tagging software(mp3tag, etc).

I gather you mean it would then be:
  0101 - Formentera Lady.m4a
  0102 - Sailor's Tale.m4a
  0111 - The Letters [RehearsalOuttake].m4a
  0112 - Ladies of the Road [Robert Fripp & David Singleton Remix].m4a
That indeed works, as does leaving off the initial 0 (that digit was put in to deal with multi-disk albums, and I've none that are more than 1 digit).
Thanks, I'll ponder....

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #6,263 of 17,483
I gather you mean it would then be:
  0101 - Formentera Lady.m4a

0102 - Sailor's Tale.m4a

0111 - The Letters [RehearsalOuttake].m4a

0112 - Ladies of the Road [Robert Fripp & David Singleton Remix].m4a
That indeed works, as does leaving off the initial 0 (that digit was put in to deal with multi-disk albums, and I've none that are more than 1 digit).
Thanks, I'll ponder....

That is exactly why, I have some jazz collections which have 10-15 cds and I wanted a one liner to do the job on mp3tag. I'm glad to hear it works as my x3 hasn't arrived yet, thanks.

I don't know if this is the right place to post but mp4nation has a sweet deal on the x3. I'm quite pissed I already bought it last week :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #6,264 of 17,483

I apologize if by chance the information has already been given and I have not seen it but... with the Apple Camera Kit it's possible to connect the x3 and use it as a DAC for the ipad ?

Yes you can - but not unlike some other usb DACs, you'll need a powered hub (I have verified with an Ipad 2/iOS7 with powered hub and Apple CCK) or something instead of the powered hub you could use something like this: http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=55 (I have also verified this to work - this has been a handy device to have - seems to stop the usb device(in this case x3) from asking for any power from the Ipad).  I (like others) am not able to get it to work directly (without powered hub) with the x3 and the camera kit.

Sorry, it's not possible to use the X3 as an external DAC for iOS devices. Both the original 30 pin and the new Lightning CCK only work with external DACs that offer support for USB audio Class 1. The X3 is designed and implemented as a USB audio class 2 device. To use the X3 with iOS will require an app written that includes a built-in USB audio class 2 driver.

Dale

I don't think it is a driver issue (as it worked which makes sense since iOS is based upon OS X which natively supports class 2 usb audio) ... I think most people have a power issue

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #6,265 of 17,483
X5 will have a 10 bands EQ, maybe we will add it into X3 in the future but can't promise righ now.

Yes please, James. It would be nice if those 10 bands are parametric EQ.  In the following thread, 76 Headfiers have voted there and 85%/65 of those want parametric EQ on X3: http://www.head-fi.org/t/677571/poll-parametric-eq-on-fiio-x3

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #6,266 of 17,483
Yes you can - but not unlike some other usb DACs, you'll need a powered hub (I have verified with an Ipad 2/iOS7 with powered hub and Apple CCK) or something instead of the powered hub you could use something like this: http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=55 (I have also verified this to work - this has been a handy device to have - seems to stop the usb device(in this case x3) from asking for any power from the Ipad).  I (like others) am not able to get it to work directly (without powered hub) with the x3 and the camera kit.

I don't think it is a driver issue (as it worked which makes sense since iOS is based upon OS X which natively supports class 2 usb audio) ... I think most people have a power issue

Wait, did you get the x3 to work as a dac for the iphone 5?

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #6,269 of 17,483
  James, I've put comments in the Parametric EQ thread started by zzffnn.  TL;DR version: You can have a 10-band EQ that is easy to use for beginners and have it be parametric for the experts -- the best of both worlds.

I'd take a parametric where I can select any frequency for any band, with Q adjustment. Some parametrics only allow a certain range (ie, 3-band is low, med, high), the advantage for which I am not sure about, but sometimes a problematic range can't be easily covered by a wide Q on one band.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #6,270 of 17,483
Guys I need some help

I bought x3 player now I want to use it as a dac on my car stereo with an xperia z ultra phone, I bought the otg cable so how do I setup things so the my x3 becomes a dac on my car stereo where there is a 3.5 mm jack for audio on the car stereo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back