The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #5,941 of 17,483

If you mean plugging a USB OTG cable onto the X3 and connecting a USB flash drive on it, then I just tried it and doesn't work. X3 doesn't see anything being plugged in.

If you mean plugging a USB OTG cable onto a smartphone and connecting the X3 onto it, then it works. I was able to use the X3 as a DAC from my Xperia without needing additional bus power.

The former, sadly.

Does anyone have an Apple device running 7.x laying around? There was an user who couldn't get it to work in this setup. It would be great to stream hi-res files to the x3 through Plex or even iTunes Sharing.

Maybe the latter is what James said a while ago. I'll dig up his post later.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #5,942 of 17,483
  The former, sadly.

Does anyone have an Apple device running 7.x laying around? There was an user who couldn't get it to work in this setup. It would be great to stream hi-res files to the x3 through Plex or even iTunes Sharing.

Maybe the latter is what James said a while ago. I'll dig up his post later.

I've tried the X3 as a DAC with my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, both running iOS 7.0.3. Alas, no go - the X3 fires up in DAC mode but the iDevices don't see it as a DAC and can't use it. The iDevices work with Class 1 DACs, but the X3 is implemented as Class 2. That means we'll need an iOS app written with driver support to directly attach the X3.

How about it James? Any thoughts on having an iOS app developed to support the X3?

Dale

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #5,943 of 17,483
I've tried the X3 as a DAC with my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, both running iOS 7.0.3. Alas, no go. The iDevices work with Class 1 DACs, but the X3 is implemented as Class 2. That means we'll need an iOS app written with driver support to directly attach the X3.

How about it James? Any thoughts on having an iOS app developed to support the X3?

Dale

I think someone mentioned it worked with android. Any others tried with android devices?

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #5,944 of 17,483
I think someone mentioned it worked with android. Any others tried with android devices?

Sandalaudio confirmed it working with Hus Xperia just a few posts above. I have not had any luck getting it to work with either my HTC one nor my Nexus 7, 2'and gen. Both devises work with my other USB DACs....

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #5,947 of 17,483
I was able to update the firmware and install the x3 as dac, but only get unrecoverable playback in foobar. I've tried DS, waspi event and push, asio. What am I missing? I've set the x3 as default playback device and changed it to 24/192.

thanks...

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #5,950 of 17,483
Latest firmware was great with the changelog, noticed a slight speed bump in scrolling, but waiting time lags were still around.

1st. I realized there's no Play All function for a single Artist, > meaning playing all albums for individual artist.

2nd, when in Now Playing Mode, Long Press back to adjust system or player settings, go back to Now Playing, there's no way to go back to the chosen songs/artist/album. I have to browse through the main menu all over again.

3rd. Playlists please.

4th Tag reading

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #5,951 of 17,483
I've tried the X3 as a DAC with my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, both running iOS 7.0.3. Alas, no go - the X3 fires up in DAC mode but the iDevices don't see it as a DAC and can't use it. The iDevices work with Class 1 DACs, but the X3 is implemented as Class 2. That means we'll need an iOS app written with driver support to directly attach the X3.

Dale

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know if it would be possible to anyone to develop an app as soon as 7.x is jb or even on the app store? I mean, as long has there is no proprietary protocol or something like that there shouldn't be any problem, right? (crossed fingers)

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #5,952 of 17,483
Not sure if this is correct place but you can get the X3 for $170 from SonicElectronix. They sell for $189 and have 10% off code on if you use V.me (Visa's payment service, code is on main page banner).

I did it and it was delivered in 2 days to Chicago.

Just a heads up if anyone is considering.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #5,953 of 17,483
Not sure if this is correct place but you can get the X3 for $170 from SonicElectronix. They sell for $189 and have 10% off code on if you use V.me (Visa's payment service, code is on main page banner).

I did it and it was delivered in 2 days to Chicago.

Just a heads up if anyone is considering.

That's a good deal if you can take advantage of it.  The X3+64GB SD+Cables package deal on Amazon is a nice deal at $229.95 shipped with Prime.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #5,954 of 17,483
Starting nov 1, amazon will start collecting taxes from wisconsin residents :frowning2: 
I'll have to buy my gear elsewhere now, even though I got prime.  Newegg lacks in the audio department.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #5,955 of 17,483
Starting nov 1, amazon will start collecting taxes from wisconsin residents :frowning2: 
I'll have to buy my gear elsewhere now, even though I got prime.  Newegg lacks in the audio department.

You tax-evader you :wink:

Latest firmware was great with the changelog, noticed a slight speed bump in scrolling, but waiting time lags were still around.

1st. I realized there's no Play All function for a single Artist, > meaning playing all albums for individual artist.

2nd, when in Now Playing Mode, Long Press back to adjust system or player settings, go back to Now Playing, there's no way to go back to the chosen songs/artist/album. I have to browse through the main menu all over again.

3rd. Playlists please.

4th Tag reading

1: category > artist

If you have the filenames as artist - year - etc
You get them in order too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back