The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5,851 of 17,483
I can't update right now since I am at work, but am curious to know if the problem where it can only read 2 folder levels deep when adding to the library was addressed with this firmware update?  Or is that just a permanent feature I wonder?

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #5,853 of 17,483

beerchug.gif
darthsmile.gif
 My God!
gs1000.gif

beerchug.gif

L3000.gif
Full gapeless suport! On Flac files! In Browse mode!
beyersmile.png

biggrin.gif

And I've tested with 192/24 flac files!
                    Now It's the best DAC Player ever...

OK. I still want to give it a taste on the DX100. :) 

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #5,855 of 17,483

biggrin.gif
 Lol
That's was really funny! I believe I've spent already about $1K. US$400 on the X3 and US$500 on my Westone4 due to shipping and customs tax (you know, Brazil...).
But totaly worth it!

What!?

Why didn't you buy it locally from South America?

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #5,856 of 17,483

Doesn't seem to work in Win 8.1.

Installation fails.

Checked inf files and the support is up to Win 7.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #5,857 of 17,483

Doesn't seem to work in Win 8.1.

Installation fails.

Checked inf files and the support is up to Win 7.

In Fiio's instruction PDF (X3 User Guide-2 USB DAC-EN) there was a way to overcome the driver signing issue on Windows 8 64bit. Not sure if it works on 8.1.

I can't install the driver in Windows 7. It says the device is not connected. I unplug and plug it again and nothing. Always the same message. I want to try the DAC :frowning2:

Did you follow Fiio's instruction PDF to switch the X3 to DAC mode before installing the Windows driver?

The driver looks like a standard Thesycon ASYNC USB2 driver that every other USB DACs use, so I didn't experience any issues.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #5,858 of 17,483

Did you follow Fiio's instruction PDF to switch the X3 to DAC mode before installing the Windows driver?

The driver looks like a standard Thesycon ASYNC USB2 driver that every other USB DACs use, so I didn't experience any issues.

Me neither. So far the driver works like a charm... have to admit, I didn´t expect this.

Anyway, this is now my... I don´t know, third or fourth USB interface. Well, it´s only the second one capable of 24/192. Not that I need it but it´s nice to have that feature. Despite my initial reservations about it: thank you, FiiO.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5,859 of 17,483

beerchug.gif
darthsmile.gif
 My God!
gs1000.gif

beerchug.gif

L3000.gif
Full gapeless suport! On Flac files! In Browse mode!
beyersmile.png

biggrin.gif

And I've tested with 192/24 flac files!
                    Now It's the best DAC Player ever...

OK. I still want to give it a taste on the DX100. :) 

All right! Time to load up some live shows.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #5,860 of 17,483
  In Fiio's instruction PDF (X3 User Guide-2 USB DAC-EN) there was a way to overcome the driver signing issue on Windows 8 64bit. Not sure if it works on 8.1.

Thanks. Installed after disabling driver certificate checking. Works like a charm. 
This links helped:
http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #5,861 of 17,483

So far, the DAC mode is working really well. I got everything running on the first go, and I have nothing to complain about the sound quality.

There was measurably no real difference between using the X3 as a player and playing the same music file from a PC with DAC mode. The DAC mode was slightly more noisy (probably power noise from the USB cable) but way below hearing level. The important thing is there are no strange artefacts or distortion.
One interesting bonus was that because X3 is self-powered by its battery, I was able to get it hooked up to an Android phone to use X3 as an external DAC, without the usual error message saying there is not enough power to drive the USB device. I don't know if there is any point in doing this, but it was cool nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back