The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #5,836 of 17,484
  the new firmware will be released in days and it will supports USB DAC features, remember it supports 192k/24b USB DAC in asynchronous mode.

it means that you get two but only paid one.

LoL, the big bold red text looks like a banner ad saying "buy one get one free"

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #5,837 of 17,484
  Hi!
I'm new here. I wanted to keep the thread moving.
I have a X3 for quite a while and I'd like to add some interesting info:
Playing gapeless (for suitable file types) is automatic. You just need to browse your files (which is better than going in Category>Album) then turn off and on the device. X3 goes on playing in gapeless. As the X3 has a very fast initialization, I use this feature a lot.
I'm gonna try gapeless function with all the file types and I'll show the results here later. I believe that it doesn't work with lossless files.

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"!

That would be great.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #5,838 of 17,484

I believe that was the intention.
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #5,839 of 17,484
Maybe someone can help me here. Was wondering what will sound better or if there will be an improvement in sound quality? X3 coaxial to bifrost to lyr vs imac USB to bifrost to lyr. The audio are lossless and 320kbps mp3. I know X3 is a dap but if it'll outperform the imac, why not use it.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5,840 of 17,484
Maybe someone can help me here. Was wondering what will sound better or if there will be an improvement in sound quality? X3 coaxial to bifrost to lyr vs imac USB to bifrost to lyr. The audio are lossless and 320kbps mp3. I know X3 is a dap but if it'll outperform the imac, why not use it.

The answer is 100% subjective - it will depend entirely on personal preference. That said, I do use my X3 as my music source quite a bit. Probably more than I use my Mac these days, but maybe for a different reason. I use my MacBook Pro as a true laptop (eg. it sits on my lap when I'm using it) and hate being tethered to it by a USB cord when I need to get up and grab something to drink or just move around. With the portability of the X3, I can take it with me while I move about, a lot easier than I can with the Mac.

You'll have to try it yourself and see which you prefer. The Mac might offer better sound quality than the X3 but I think they are very similar. It's the portability that gets the X3 the majority of my recent usage.

Dale

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #5,841 of 17,484
  X3 as a portable source on the go is very unlikely due to its digital output design. It's meant to be more of a portable source that you can move around and connect to large desktop setups. 

can you elaborate on the x3 as a "portable source on the go" being unlikely? that was my intention for getting one, plus using it as a dac+amp with my thinkpad (generic soundcard) once the new FW is released. thanks

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #5,842 of 17,484
Oct 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #5,845 of 17,484
Wow. Going from 1.31 to 2.05 is a pretty big jump for a firmware. Wonder what has been changed (except the obvious that you can now use it as a USB DAC).

Your player can now be used as a USB DAC with mac and windows.

Also, there is some fixing with gapless playback. And also they generally psot a changelog on facebook or something.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #5,848 of 17,484
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Also, there still is an issue when doing a fast forward on a long track.

oh no 
frown.gif

this is so annoying,

i cant see why they didnt solve this.
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #5,850 of 17,484
Your player can now be used as a USB DAC with mac and windows.

Also, there is some fixing with gapless playback. And also they generally psot a changelog on facebook or something.

I know. Didn´t want the DAC function, but... oh well, people seem to want it. 

The changelog hasn´t been posted yet, that´s why I asked in the first place.

From the few moments I´ve had with the new firmware I found that it might be slightly faster. For me, a track change doesn´t take as long as before. Still longer compared to others but now it feels usable. I definitely think it´s an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back