The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5,776 of 17,483
the double "clic" thing is the normal behavior for the X3. those 2"clics" you don't like are in fact the protection system closing the circuit to the amp. this is done for the purpose of avoiding a much much stronger "tac" that you can get on a lot of amps when powering them.
it may sound strong, but it really isn't much. the sound of my pico slim powering ON was oh so much stronger, when not nearly delivering as much power as the X3, so I wouldn't want to hear the X3 powering ON without that "protection" system.

consider that the X3 is much more powerfull than your random ipod and the real thing from zero to turning ON would be really loud if not for that "annoying double clic".
from the noise level of those clics, I would say with confidence that there is no risk at all of damaging an IEM with it.

as for Good Sound's X3 dying on you while walking the dog, I would bet for the battery getting disconnected (the older the batch of the x3 the bigger the chances).

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #5,777 of 17,483
  the double "clic" thing is the normal behavior for the X3. those 2"clics" you don't like are in fact the protection system closing the circuit to the amp. this is done for the purpose of avoiding a much much stronger "tac" that you can get on a lot of amps when powering them.
it may sound strong, but it really isn't much. the sound of my pico slim powering ON was oh so much stronger, when not nearly delivering as much power as the X3, so I wouldn't want to hear the X3 powering ON without that "protection" system.

The protection circuit should click in after a short delay following power-up (and it sounds like it is doing that)... but there should be nothing to engage after one presses play... any noise at that point is software/decode related.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #5,778 of 17,483
Any suggestions on cheap (<60 USD) IEMs that pair well with the X3? I seem to have lost my RE400s :frowning2:

I have the MH1Cs but they are too similar to the X3 to provide balance IMO.

The Monster Gratitudes are great and pairs very well with the x3. You should be able to find them for $60 at the moment.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #5,779 of 17,483
  The protection circuit should click in after a short delay following power-up (and it sounds like it is doing that)... but there should be nothing to engage after one presses play... any noise at that point is software/decode related.

It's for battery conservation. It seems they want the amplifier circuit to be shut off if you are not listening to any music. Try playing music and unplugging the headphone out jack, you will continuously hear clicks everytime you take it out and put it back in (it's happening for me but I am also using an old firmware). 

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #5,780 of 17,483
Has anyone tested the X3 with a 128 GB SDXC card?  I saw some people wonder about it but couldn't find anything about anyone actually testing it.  Thanks.

Also, I apologize in advance if this has been answered.  I tried searching but found no update, and I apparently suck balls at searching.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5,782 of 17,483
  Has anyone tested the X3 with a 128 GB SDXC card?  I saw some people wonder about it but couldn't find anything about anyone actually testing it.  Thanks.

I don't th ink anyone has taken an adapter and used X3 with 128GB yet?

128GB mSDXC is not out yet though

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #5,784 of 17,483
I like the X3 but I must echo the sediment the software is a mess when it comes to accessing individual artists and songs imported from iTunes.  But for some reason the Hi-Res music I downloaded from HDTracks are in their own folder and easy to access.  I hope James is working on this.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #5,785 of 17,483

It's for battery conservation. It seems they want the amplifier circuit to be shut off if you are not listening to any music. Try playing music and unplugging the headphone out jack, you will continuously hear clicks everytime you take it out and put it back in (it's happening for me but I am also using an old firmware). 

+1 with this. you can hear the clic if there is no music played for some time (end of an album) and you didn't set the auto shutdown time too short. and ofc if you use the line out as there is then no point is keeping the amp section ON. I never had a clic in the middle of listening to music or changing track and believe it is indeed a choice and not a bug.

I like the X3 but I must echo the sediment the software is a mess when it comes to accessing individual artists and songs imported from iTunes.  But for some reason the Hi-Res music I downloaded from HDTracks are in their own folder and easy to access.  I hope James is working on this.

I'm not sure james can do anything to make itunes better. :wink:

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #5,786 of 17,483
Would this player really be a noticeable upgrade in terms of the sound quality compared to something like an iPod or Sansa Clip Zip?  I'm using 16/44 CD-quality files, listening with Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #5,787 of 17,483

This adapter:
http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001

works with this card:
http://patriotmemory.com/product/indexp.jsp?source=4&catid=88,90,89&src=4,7#product_line

Formatted at FAT32 on a Mac using Disk Utility.  I had already been using it in a Samsung S4 that I dedicated to DAP duty.  No reformatting was necessary.  It scanned the whole file structure (about 110 gigs).

I had to rig up a little makeshift covering for it, but it works perfectly.  There are other SD-MicroSD adapters out there, but this is the only one I've seen that's on a ribbon cable.  Makes a big difference.

I'm sure that when 128 micro cards come out they'll work, too.  

Just out of curiosity, How many files, and how long did it take to scan that 128gb card. How durable does that adapter seem? From the pictures on their website it looks like it could be pretty fraglie.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #5,788 of 17,483
I have some problems with the X3.

I started to use WMA Professional (please, no comments about its inferiority/uselessness/etc., I use it to conserve storage space) in 24/96. Files are encoded with 440 kBit/s CBR, 2-pass. They pose some problems with the FiiO. Playing them, it sometimes crashes (not on the same files).

Behaviour is always like this: X3 is starting to play one of these files, switches its display off (I configured it to 30 seconds) and when I then press a button the FiiO doesn´t react anymore. It´ll play the song to its end though, after that it simply stops playback but stays switched on (I can remove the headphone and can still hear the click of the relay, as though the FiiO is 'thinking' that it still is playing back). The solution to this problem always is a reset. This is not very convenient.

Another thing: those 24/96 WMA Professional files are decoded as 16/96. 24/48 WMA Professional files are however decoded as 24/48. Doesn´t make sense to me.

I would be glad if these problems could be solved as WMA Professional is a well sounding lossy HiRes format which conserves lots of storage space compared to FLAC or APE.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #5,789 of 17,483
  I have some problems with the X3.

I started to use WMA Professional (please, no comments about its inferiority/uselessness/etc., I use it to conserve storage space) in 24/96. Files are encoded with 440 kBit/s CBR, 2-pass. They pose some problems with the FiiO. Playing them, it sometimes crashes (not on the same files).

Behaviour is always like this: X3 is starting to play one of these files, switches its display off (I configured it to 30 seconds) and when I then press a button the FiiO doesn´t react anymore. It´ll play the song to its end though, after that it simply stops playback but stays switched on (I can remove the headphone and can still hear the click of the relay, as though the FiiO is 'thinking' that it still is playing back). The solution to this problem always is a reset. This is not very convenient.

Another thing: those 24/96 WMA Professional files are decoded as 16/96. 24/48 WMA Professional files are however decoded as 24/48. Doesn´t make sense to me.

I would be glad if these problems could be solved as WMA Professional is a well sounding lossy HiRes format which conserves lots of storage space compared to FLAC or APE.

I've had a similar problem lately where if I leave the X3 playing an album in a continuous loop the display and controls will eventually become unresponsive after a period of time, thought the music keeps playing.  The only way to resolve this was to reset using the pin-hole at the top of the X3.  This is with hi-res (24/96 FLAC from HDTracks).  I believe in each case battery power was getting low - not sure if that had something to do with it. Turning "Sleep" and "Idle Poweroff" to "Off" seems to have fixed this but I can't say with certainty.  I still have "Backlight Time" set to 10s.  Out of curiosity, what do you have for those settings? 

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #5,790 of 17,483

I've had a similar problem lately where if I leave the X3 playing an album in a continuous loop the display and controls will eventually become unresponsive after a period of time, thought the music keeps playing.  The only way to resolve this was to reset using the pin-hole at the top of the X3.  This is with hi-res (24/96 FLAC from HDTracks).  I believe in each case battery power was getting low - not sure if that had something to do with it. Turning "Sleep" and "Idle Poweroff" to "Off" seems to have fixed this but I can't say with certainty.  I still have "Backlight Time" set to 10s.  Out of curiosity, what do you have for those settings? 

In all cases, my battery was half full to full.

'Sleep' is switched off, 'Idle Poweroff' however is configured to 60 seconds. I´ll try setting it to 'OFF' and see what happens. Thanks for the answer BTW 
beerchug.gif

Oh, and 'Backlight' is configured to 30 seconds.

Sadly, all of this won´t solve the 16-Bit decoding problem of 24/96 WMA Professional files 
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back