The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #5,521 of 17,481
  Just purchased one, awaiting delivery today, and hoping for the best with all my FLAC files.

nice! enjoy your new DAP :D

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #5,522 of 17,481
Quote from James @ Fiio:

"some users connect the LO to their audio device and have problem about the distortion, it is because the lo level of X3 is about 1.7v, and the amps just can't handled high level signal input.

maybe we should decrease the output level of the LO to 1.5V ( the LO level of iPod is 0.8V and the standard output level of most CD is 2.0V )

BTW, some of our customers are helping us test the firmware and the new firmware should be released on 15th, Oct."

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5,523 of 17,481
James I would love to help test firmware too. I don't use the device more than a couple hours a day so it's not really going to impact my experience to help you guys out.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #5,524 of 17,481
  A fault has developed in my x3,the categories function is not working for my memory card,it shows the categories but doesnt see the sub menu/tracks.i have done a reset and a factory reset and nothing,when i take out the sd card it still shows all my albums,its as if the lib. isnt updating,it sill shows the albums in the internal memory.Any help would be much appreciated.

try

clean database - for example - delete old records
delete two files in memory x3 / via windows file explorer / file: usrlocal_media.db and usrlocal_media.db-journal and rebuild unplug volume /x3/, and /Press/ lib updates via menu

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #5,525 of 17,481
Ok guys, I am getting a little frustrated by the X3 running the latest firmware (1.31).

I have a 64GB Sandisk Ultra card and here's what I have done so far:

First, I copied my music folder directly from iTunes onto the SD card ( /artist1/album1,album2).   Then I tried to update the library and it indexed the folders but did not show any music files in the folder when looking through either "Category" or "Now Playing".     The music files were visible in the "Folder View" - however, as I have a whole lot of classical albums, this wasnt too useful for me.

So I then deleted the database files, copied all my album folders to the root directory (about 454 albums), renamed the albums and retagged the album names (in order to figure out conductor/orchestra for each of the 15 different Beethoven album folders I have) - a process that took a fair bit of time, I might add.   I then tried refreshing the library.    This time, it worked - however, I could only browse the files in "Folder view" and not through "Category".    Ok, this was a bit tedious but i could live with it...

.. except that every time the player turned off, it would freeze and would not re-start.   I would have to press BACK / OK buttons simultaneously, at which point it would say "Update File Not Found" and it would reboot properly again.

For my third attempt, I have created 3 root directories - Classical, Rock_Pop,  Jazz_World - and split my music into these folders.   I removed the SD card, refreshed the library, then factory-reset the device, then deleted the database files, then reinserted the SD card and refreshed the database again.   This time, I got a total of 15 music files in the file browser.  The Category folder still shows nothing.

I am getting extremely frustrated at this point.   Any ideas on what to do?

If i need to reformat the SD card, what app do you guys recommend for a Mac?  I used the Disk Utility).

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5,526 of 17,481
Guys, I thought i'd help out with the FAT32 64gb card issue. My beautiful wonderful girlfriend just got me the 64gb card, so I spent the better part of the last hour making it work. Here are the 2 things you need to get, in this order.

1) Bootice. This guy writes like a moron, but follow the picture tutorial that he's made and you will have a 64gb EXFAT partition. Use this every time your drive screws up or something.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36089912#post36089912

2.a) Figure out your allocation size. For >32gb cards, its 32K.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192322

2.b) Gui application of FAT32 Format. This utility will quickly and easily format your microsd card with the given allocation size.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Thats pretty much it. I have not yet tested this. I was going to transfer over my entire collection using my external reader, since the Fiio is rather sluggish and I want to see how fast/slow an external reader actually is. This is a class 10 card I got, and the last one was class 2, so its probably not even the Fiio thats slow. But still.

EDIT: so it turns out my card reader is a POS and cant read microsdXC. It was responsible for telling me i have a 1MB card in, so im using the Fiio to transfer. Seems like its going about 4MB/s. I'd love a fix for this, but w/e.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,527 of 17,481
1) Bootice. This guy writes like a moron, but follow the picture tutorial that he's made and you will have a 64gb EXFAT partition. Use this every time your drive screws up or something.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #5,529 of 17,481
  Ok guys, I am getting a little frustrated by the X3 running the latest firmware (1.31).

I have a 64GB Sandisk Ultra card and here's what I have done so far:

First, I copied my music folder directly from iTunes onto the SD card ( /artist1/album1,album2).   Then I tried to update the library and it indexed the folders but did not show any music files in the folder when looking through either "Category" or "Now Playing".     The music files were visible in the "Folder View" - however, as I have a whole lot of classical albums, this wasnt too useful for me.

So I then deleted the database files, copied all my album folders to the root directory (about 454 albums), renamed the albums and retagged the album names (in order to figure out conductor/orchestra for each of the 15 different Beethoven album folders I have) - a process that took a fair bit of time, I might add.   I then tried refreshing the library.    This time, it worked - however, I could only browse the files in "Folder view" and not through "Category".    Ok, this was a bit tedious but i could live with it...

.. except that every time the player turned off, it would freeze and would not re-start.   I would have to press BACK / OK buttons simultaneously, at which point it would say "Update File Not Found" and it would reboot properly again.

For my third attempt, I have created 3 root directories - Classical, Rock_Pop,  Jazz_World - and split my music into these folders.   I removed the SD card, refreshed the library, then factory-reset the device, then deleted the database files, then reinserted the SD card and refreshed the database again.   This time, I got a total of 15 music files in the file browser.  The Category folder still shows nothing.

I am getting extremely frustrated at this point.   Any ideas on what to do?

If i need to reformat the SD card, what app do you guys recommend for a Mac?  I used the Disk Utility).

A follow-up:   what I have done since then is reformat the card, delete the library files on the FiiO, copies my iTunes Music folder as-is (so the structure is /Music/Artist/Album/songs).  

Then I manually moved my classical folders around, renamed them and re-structured them.    After that, I re-inserted the card and did not update the library.   I can see the files just fine through the File Browser.

I havent bothered trying to update the library as I am pretty sure it will not work.    

So now atleast I can access my songs.   For rock and jazz, this is functionally fine - a litte inelegant but it works.   However, it is a real PITA for classical music where a simple artist/album hierarchy doesnt work.    As it currently stands, I do not recommend this player for people who listen primarily to classical music.   

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5,531 of 17,481
Not sure if this bug has been reported:

Play a song till it almost finished. Hit the rewind button once (to replay the song). What happens is the song starts playing again but not at 0:00. It will start playing at 0:10 seconds or something. If I let it play like that till the end of the track, the player freezes up and will continue playing. No buttons will be accepted as input. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5,532 of 17,481
  Not sure if this bug has been reported:

Play a song till it almost finished. Hit the rewind button once (to replay the song). What happens is the song starts playing again but not at 0:00. It will start playing at 0:10 seconds or something. If I let it play like that till the end of the track, the player freezes up and will continue playing. No buttons will be accepted as input. 

I noted that when I first got it. Mine doesn't freeze up though. It just skips a bit of the songs beginning. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #5,533 of 17,481
I finally caved in and bought the X3.  I have tried a Fiio E6 and E07K and I am impressed with the price-to-performance ratio for both of those devices.  Unfortunately the E6 had a battery charging issue where I had to return it after a couple hours of use, but the E07K was a gem and I would have kept it if not for the X3 offering the ability to act as a DAC.  I used the E07K as am amp for my Sansa Clip+ and as a DAC with my PC.  I figured the X3 would be a better single device solution versus a Clip+ and E07K.  If I need a USB DAC the E18 seems like a better option down the road.

I have read this thread for awhile and I appreciate how everyone has been sharing tips and tricks.  However, I have been concerned over some of the quirks that have been reported.  I like how my Sansa is rock-solid for reliability.

I intend to load this with FLAC files from my music server.  Everything is 16/44.1 for portability between devices.  I have my files organized as Music\Artist\Album.  I do not have my track numbers tagged with a preceding 0 (for example, track 1 is not set as 01).  My file names are not all setup with album and track number since I rely on tags.  My preferred organization on my Clip+ is Artist\Album.  

I have a couple questions.

Should I leave my Music folder out of the organization on the SD card so instead of Music\Artist\Album it will be just Artist\Album on the SD card?

If I use Browse feature will I lose gapless playback when I navigate to an album?  Once in the folder for an album, can all tracks be played?

Can I use the Album view from the menu to find an album for an artist and have gapless work for the tracks on that album and play all tracks for just the selected album?

I have read the manual and so many posts I cannot keep track.  Thanks for helping me out while I wait for the delivery of my X3.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #5,534 of 17,481
I've been listening X3 several days already. Very good sound, but without parametric EQ I can't enjoy all my headphones with it. For example, ATH-M50 and Brainwavz M3 are sound very good, but Vsonic GR07 MK2 and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - very bright, with sibilants. So I hope Fiio will give us EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back