The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4,096 of 17,484
Most things can't be fixed. In terms of how the UI 'does' things as its not theirs. And its sorta locked

But gapless playback, indexing, tagging songs etc should be able to be fixed by FiiO is what they have more or less said or hinted at.

To be fair, most DAP consumer companies today kinda started from audiophile beginnings. Sony, Apple, iRiver.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #4,097 of 17,484
Quote:

To be fair, most DAP consumer companies today kinda started from audiophile beginnings. Sony, Apple, iRiver.

Have to nit pick here...
iRiver I will buy - their early players had a strong emphasis on sound quality.
Sony started off with tape recorders but their emphasis was first on commercial gear and later on the mass market. Sony audiophile gear was later very much a niche market for them and one which typically has not been too impressive.
Apple? The computer company? How is that anything to do with audiophile?

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #4,098 of 17,484
Quote:
Think about it this way. This here is a discussion forum of the X3. Most that have bought the X3 after seeing this thread will never return back and just lurk. Those that do post, will of course post all their qualms about it.

Yes, we know the X3 has UI inconsistencies and quirks to using it.

I agree that those members who do not notice/aren’t too concerned about/didn’t find any deficiencies with the X3 probably have moved on from this thread and are blissfully enjoying the X3.  I would be right out there with them too as I don’t find the issues related to the X3 as annoying as others do on this thread. 

I do, however, come back to this thread often because of the knowledgeable member inputs, observations, wealth of suggestions (not to mention the friendly and provocative banter) and the satisfaction that there appears to be a “partnership” of sorts between the members and James at Fiio which I find incredibly refreshing in the dog eat dog world of marketing and the growing lack of concern for consumers.  I look forward to any “fixes” that James may have in store for us in the future.  While I have some niggling issues with the X3’s gui, in the end, it’s all about the music and the sound.  In that respect, I have found bliss with my purchase in conjunction with my budget equipment (all purchased from suggestions/reviews by Head Fi members, by the way) and will continue to enjoy it.

So I have to press a few more buttons to get back to the last track/album, use a browser instead of how it works on my iPod (for me, the GUI is the only thing that Apple got right) and there is a small gap and pop in my gapless music.  When the music comes on, I can lose myself in the enjoyment of a quality product that was the fruit of a responsive company and audio enthusiasts here. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #4,099 of 17,484
Quote:
Have to nit pick here...
iRiver I will buy - their early players had a strong emphasis on sound quality.
Sony started off with tape recorders but their emphasis was first on commercial gear and later on the mass market. Sony audiophile gear was later very much a niche market for them and one which typically has not been too impressive.
Apple? The computer company? How is that anything to do with audiophile?

Sony's early walkman's and what not products were considered very 'audiophile' even if they weren't. Not everyone could afford them, and the audiophiles of then bought all the expensive Sony goods.

Steve Jobs was a music-phile with an audiophile under-side. iPod Classic and Video's are some of the most used players by audiophiles here. Their extremely clean line out ability and DAC bypassing function is also important to note as is how relatively clean their headphone out is compared to others. The 160GB iPod Classic that came out almost a decade ago basically screams what people right now want. Utilization of iTunes along with iPod and AAC formats to tag and create a good from computer to 'pod' experience of compatability and quality is also important as James once noted where iTunes tagged and did a lot of the heavy lifting with the songs before it enters into the iPod. The creation of AIFF, ALAC, and AAC formats to allow for great quality in the studio(AIFF), storage full quality(ALAC), and on the go consumer mainstream(AAC). Makes them an important company to the world of modern audio. Not to mention that the Pre Thunderbolt iPods/iPhones with LOD+Amp offered some of the BEST audiophile rigs ever to be had with ultra excellent UI design + extremely clean line out+ ability to use a DAC with it + cost of the device(sub $200) +name brand +build quality etc. Jude and most seasoned head-fi'ers and true audiophiles sport Apple rigs. 
Quote:

I agree that those members who do not notice/aren’t too concerned about/didn’t find any deficiencies with the X3 probably have moved on from this thread and are blissfully enjoying the X3.  I would be right out there with them too as I don’t find the issues related to the X3 as annoying as others do on this thread. 

I do, however, come back to this thread often because of the knowledgeable member inputs, observations, wealth of suggestions (not to mention the friendly and provocative banter) and the satisfaction that there appears to be a “partnership” of sorts between the members and James at Fiio which I find incredibly refreshing in the dog eat dog world of marketing and the growing lack of concern for consumers.  I look forward to any “fixes” that James may have in store for us in the future.  While I have some niggling issues with the X3’s gui, in the end, it’s all about the music and the sound.  In that respect, I have found bliss with my purchase in conjunction with my budget equipment (all purchased from suggestions/reviews by Head Fi members, by the way) and will continue to enjoy it.

So I have to press a few more buttons to get back to the last track/album, use a browser instead of how it works on my iPod (for me, the GUI is the only thing that Apple got right) and there is a small gap and pop in my gapless music.  When the music comes on, I can lose myself in the enjoyment of a quality product that was the fruit of a responsive company and audio enthusiasts here. 

Nice to hear that

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,100 of 17,484
the new firmware will be released soon , which will support the TAGs in .m4a format ( ALAC and AAC). means the X3 will supports almost all the TAGs 

and thanks everyone who support us and report the bugs to us, anyway, don't expect the X3's UI can as good as iPod. it is total different thing because

iPod does not need to support so many different music format and all kinds of features , we are working hard and we believe we can make the best DAP

among DAP designed for audiophile.

Anyway, make sure what you want before  buy X3. just like you can't expect iPod can support CUE, APE, or 192K/24B or with a SD/TF socket or an

standard coaxial output. it is easy for Apple to support such features, but Apple known they will pay for that and they choose don't . 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #4,101 of 17,484
Quote:
Sony's early walkman's and what not products were considered very 'audiophile' even if they weren't. Not everyone could afford them, and the audiophiles of then bought all the expensive Sony goods.

I'm still groovin' to my Sony D311 Discman!!! Still one of my bedside rigs.  Line out!  Sometimes hooked up to my VUUM The Amp tube amplifier (I think it's a re badged Dared amp) with PSB Alpha A/V's or Klipsch's. Not bad through the Fiio E17 and Grado SR80's either! 

But the X3 is where it's at now for sound and convenience! (Since it's the X3 thread, I thought I better throw that in...)

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #4,103 of 17,484
Quote:
the new firmware will be released soon , which will support the TAGs in .m4a format ( ALAC and AAC). means the X3 will supports almost all the TAGs 

This is fantastic news. I don't use the X3 that much a day unlike some people, but this will make my life and others easier. 
Quote:
I'm still groovin' to my Sony D311 Discman!!! Still one of my bedside rigs.  Line out!  Sometimes hooked up to my VUUM The Amp tube amplifier (I think it's a re badged Dared amp) with PSB Alpha A/V's or Klipsch's. Not bad through the Fiio E17 and Grado SR80's either! 

But the X3 is where it's at now for sound and convenience! (Since it's the X3 thread, I thought I better throw that in...)

Groovin all day every day

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4,105 of 17,484
The way the members go on about equipment, technical issues and sound quality (and especially how they are always willing to offer advice to those in need, I would have thought that the members lived and breathed music! I thought their rigs were always with them considering the discussions about cases, rubber bands, portability (ok, some of you really don't know what portable means from what you describe you carry!!!). Am I wrong? At the office I groove via the X3 using either Grado SR80's (when the office is populated) or connected to a Fiio A1 desktop amp hooked up to PSB Alpha A/V's with a PSB Subsonic 6 (when everyone has gone home and I am stuck there). In the car, very sadly, via the X3 hooked up via a cassette adapter to a General Motors minivan stock audio system. Actually it sound pretty good, considering (ok, I can't really tell, if anyone who has experienced the level of road noise in a Chevy Astro can attest). At home, line out to an Adcom GFP 565 preamp via the "pure" inputs, Adcom GFA 555 amp through Mirage OM5's or Linn Nexus speakers helped by a Hsu Research sub the size of a liquor cabinet I cannot move by myself to find the model. Home office consists of running the X3 through a VUUM The Amp re badged Dared tube amp) or a vintage Yamaha Natural Sound A550 integrated with PSB Alphas/Klipch's or (get this) Optimus LX5 Pro Linaeum tweetered speakers. Outside I mate the X2 with Shure SE215's for noise isolation. And bedside? Just the X3 with the Grado's. The X3 works admirably with everything and the EQ helps to tweak it just enough to compensate for the strange set ups. It's extremely functional, adaptable, and just wonderful sounding. It's a great match with the SR80's (although I do strive to upgrade them, watching the forums for advice) as the slightly dark signature of the X3 is compensated for to an extent by the Grado sound. A few steps of X3 bass boost gives the Grado's a bit of ooomph that I like very much, not overdone. Very satisfying. So I recommend that we all groove more and more often! Let James do what he does best and let the rest of us enjoy the music! PS You may take my impressions with a grain of salt as my last dap was the iPod Video 30GB BUT through a Fiio E17. However, I do admit that the X3 is not as good sounding as my Linn LP12:wink:

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4,106 of 17,484
Only issues I have with the X3 is the build quality. I noticed some of the brushed aluminium skin at the front around the buttons starting to peel. Even when I have the silicon skin on most of the time!

And today I noticed a dust speck somehow got inside the LCD screen! :xf_mad:

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,107 of 17,484
I was looking around REI today and came across a great X3 carry case...  It works great with the X3..  the main pocket is a velvet material so it wont scratch the X3..  in front of the main pocket is another small pocket that has room to hold extra memory cards and a set of IEM's...    you can use it fully closed or you can open the top flap and it gets held open with a fold away flap on the back.. so you can use any of the output jacks from the X3.. and it also has a belt loop for using it on the go...    here's the web site to show it a little...   the case comes in two sizes.. the one that fits the X3 like a glove is the Small size...   the order code for it is   868-2-6023   so if you do order one make sure its the small size...  it also comes in Black or Blue...  that number is for the black version...    I got mine at REI but you can order direct from Timbuk2.com too...

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/3way-accessory-case/1914320

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #4,109 of 17,484
Sorry if this is offtopic, but can any of you experts please help me-

Best is to try it yourself. Do you have local stores that carry the different models? Absent that I think the Hifiman would be a good match. And based on my experience with orthos no you won't need an amp.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #4,110 of 17,484
Another thing: is it just me or does the player lag a little when going to next tracks?

It seems to rush through the first ~1-2 seconds of the song before playing normally, gives me the impression that it hanged for a sec before starting to play 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back