The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,667 of 17,484
The only time I want gapless playback is when I'm listening to an album, beginning to end.  So, the implementation is fine by me...

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,668 of 17,484
Quote:
James,
Can you chime in please and clear up the matter of gapless playback?

Somebody doesn't listen to Pink Floyd
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #1,671 of 17,484
Quote:
+1 here, a must for Pink Floyd and for a lot of classical symphonies, too. But here too, album play would work just fine.

Could someone explain exactly what "Album play" means? 

Does it require the use of "tagged" files in cumbersome software like Media Monkey, or will it also work with a regular file folder containing flac files in this format?:

Folder name:
Artist Name 2013 - Album Title

File names inside folder:

01 - Track 1
02 - Track 2
03 - Track 3

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,672 of 17,484
Quote:
Agree, way too much neediness happening in this thread.

It was already confirmed that gapless works via album playback mode which makes sense. It may be convenient for it to work via file browser but not a deal breaker.

James is obviously working hard to make a lot of people happy by creating a full featured dap at an affordable price point. It's certainly not easy to please everyone. It takes time and money to refine products and usability.

I think we can do without the threats of "I refuse to buy your product unless you implement this feature the way I want it". If everyone makes these requests it would be impossible to satisfy them all.

I for one will be buying one and I appreciate the fact that fiio does involve the community in order to bring a product to the masses that will satisfy the majority.

Sorry, but you are way off base here.  It's not a matter of people threatening to refuse to buy the product if some obscure feature is not included.  Gapless playback is so basic and elemental that it is inconceivable to me that anyone would even bring a player to market without this functionality. 

Moreover, this thread is several months old, and there is another thread on this product that goes back much further.  One of the first questions raised was whether the X3 will support gapless playback.  The answer given was YES.  The answer was not "Yes, but only in 'Album playback mode" or "Yes, but only with tagged files." 

Further, the inference that implementing gapless playback is somehow complicated or price prohibitive is unpersuasive.  If Sansa can implement gaplesss playback flawlessly in the $24 Clip, then it can certainly be done at any price point.  What is most perplexing to me is the fact that gapless playback is native to lossless formats like FLAC.  So I don't undestand exactly what these DAPs are doing that is proactively adding a gap between tracks on playback.  

I think everyone here loves and fully supports FiiO as a manufacturer based on all of their previous products.  That's why it's so diappointing that their first DAP would be brought to market with such a serious liability.  Of course, I will reserve final judgment until I understand more about what "Album play" mode is, and whether it would require me to use "tagged" files. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,673 of 17,484
Quote:

Sorry, but you are way off base here.  It's not a matter of people threatening to refuse to buy the product if some obscure feature is not included.  Gapless playback is so basic and elemental that it is inconceivable to me that anyone would even bring a player to market without this functionality. 

Moreover, this thread is several months old, and there is another thread on this product that goes back much further.  One of the first questions raised was whether the X3 will support gapless playback.  The answer given was YES.  The answer was not "Yes, but only in 'Album playback mode" or "Yes, but only with tagged files." 

Further, the inference that implementing gapless playback is somehow complicated or price prohibitive is unpersuasive.  If Sansa can implement gaplesss playback flawlessly in the $24 Clip, then it can certainly be done at any price point.  What is most perplexing to me is the fact that gapless playback is native to lossless formats like FLAC.  So I don't undestand exactly what these DAPs are doing that is proactively adding a gap between tracks on playback.  

I think everyone here loves and fully supports FiiO as a manufacturer based on all of their previous products.  That's why it's so diappointing that their first DAP would be brought to market with such a serious liability.  Of course, I will reserve final judgment until I understand more about what "Album play" mode is, and whether it would require me to use "tagged" files. 

The Sansa Clip has maybe matches 3 of the features the X3 has, so yes price has a lot to do with what is featured in a product. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,674 of 17,484
Quote:

The Sansa Clip has maybe matches 3 of the features the X3 has, so yes price has a lot to do with what is featured in a product. 

You are missing the point entirely.  I never said features were not a determining factor in the price of a product.  I said this specific feature (gapless playback), if it can be imlpemented in a $24 player, should not be too costly or complex to implement in a more expensive player.  

Besides, if a basic elemental feature like gapless playback insn't implemented properly, then why even discuss the other features?  Get the basics right first. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,675 of 17,484
Gapless is supported,...the question has been answered. It would only work while playing back an "album" so the implementation is correct. I don't see why this is becoming a debate over semantics - again.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,676 of 17,484
Quote:
Gapless is supported,...the question has been answered. It would only work while playing back an "album" so the implementation is correct. I don't see why this is becoming a debate over semantics - again.

Who decides what is "correct"? 

Why doesn't "correct implementation" include gapless playback in file mode? 

And all of the questions have not been answered.  Specifically, does "album playback" require tagged files? 

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,677 of 17,484
I think album playback requires files to be properly tagged. In fact some of my albums are now grouped under 'Unknown Album' after I updated the library on my X3 yesterday 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Who decides what is "correct"? 

Why doesn't "correct implementation" include gapless playback in file mode? 

And all of the questions have not been answered.  Specifically, does "album playback" require tagged files? 

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,678 of 17,484

No one said that its cost prohibitive to implement gapless playback. I merely made the point that it takes time and money to refine a product and even though it was already confirmed that gapless works the conversation continues.

The reality is that we shouldn't really be complaining about a product that isn't even in our hands yet and the software is still a work in progress. Once there is a user base and all details are known about how everything works then constructive criticism can be made and at that time additional suggestions can be made for future firmware releases.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,679 of 17,484
Quote:
The reality is that we shouldn't really be complaining about a product that isn't even in our hands yet and the software is still a work in progress. Once there is a user base and all details are known about how everything works then constructive criticism can be made and at that time additional suggestions can be made for future firmware releases.

Normally, I would be inclined to agree with you.  However, James already stated in Post #1654 that gapless playback, at least in file browser format, cannot be fixed.  So it does not appear that it is something a future firmware update could remedy.  :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,680 of 17,484

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back