The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,651 of 17,481
Quote:
i dont get whats so important about gapless playback.... can someone explain?

Some albums don't have a silent pause between tracks. For studio albums, that's mostly a bunch of prog metal concept albums. For live albums, that's pretty much all of them. Without gapless, this will happen:

Live : "thank you! *clap *clap *clap *cheer ... SILENCE ... *cheer *clap *clap alright, this next song..."
Concept album : "guitar riff, maybe a voice over/lyrics ... (SILENCE) ...continuation of lyrics/voice over, guitar riff"

That's, at a minimum, annoying, mostly because "Hi-Fi" includes that fact that people aren't just going to stop clapping like that. Or for Mephistopheles and a guitarist to stop what they're doing for two seconds and start right up where they stopped two seconds ago.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,652 of 17,481
Quote:
Live : "thank you! *clap *clap *clap *cheer ... SILENCE ... *cheer *clap *clap alright, this next song..."
Concept album : "guitar riff, maybe a voice over/lyrics ... (SILENCE) ...continuation of lyrics/voice over, guitar riff"

That's, at a minimum, annoying, mostly because "Hi-Fi" includes that fact that people aren't just going to stop clapping like that. Or for Mephistopheles and a guitarist to stop what they're doing for two seconds and start right up where they stopped two seconds ago.

I never noticed or thought about gapless before. I probably will now though. Damn you! 
size]

Hmm, now I'll have to see if my rockboxed clip zip handles gapless...

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,653 of 17,481
Quote:

I never noticed or thought about gapless before. I probably will now though. Damn you! 
size]

Hmm, now I'll have to see if my rockboxed clip zip handles gapless...

Rockboxed players do gapless just fine.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,654 of 17,481
Quote:

This sounds like it would drive me crazy.  I always play my music using the file browser. 

James - Can gapless playback be implemented for file browser playback in a firmware upgrade? 

sorry, it can't be fixed . 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,657 of 17,481
Quote:

Rockbox does that well enough, that's probably why you never noticed the need for it (was probably enabled by default; maybe you noticed less battery life after Rockbox?)

Rockbox usually improves battery life over stock. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,659 of 17,481
Anyone complaining about this apparently doesn't tag their files...this doesn't bother me in the least because my files are all properly tagged.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,661 of 17,481
Agree, way too much neediness happening in this thread.

It was already confirmed that gapless works via album playback mode which makes sense. It may be convenient for it to work via file browser but not a deal breaker.

James is obviously working hard to make a lot of people happy by creating a full featured dap at an affordable price point. It's certainly not easy to please everyone. It takes time and money to refine products and usability.

I think we can do without the threats of "I refuse to buy your product unless you implement this feature the way I want it". If everyone makes these requests it would be impossible to satisfy them all.

I for one will be buying one and I appreciate the fact that fiio does involve the community in order to bring a product to the masses that will satisfy the majority.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,662 of 17,481
Quote:

It was already confirmed that gapless works via album playback mode which makes sense. It may be convenient for it to work via file browser but not a deal breaker.

James is obviously working hard to make a lot of people happy by creating a full featured dap at an affordable price point. It's certainly not easy to please everyone. It takes time and money to refine products and usability.

I think we can do without the threats of "I refuse to buy your product unless you implement this feature the way I want it". If everyone makes these requests it would be impossible to satisfy them all.

I for one will be buying one and I appreciate the fact that fiio does involve the community in order to bring a product to the masses that will satisfy the majority.

+1 :)

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,663 of 17,481
Quote:

Agreed, either way gapless has been reported to work in some way. Convenience is relative, and typically comes at a cost. In this situation, FiiO has done all they can for the price. Honestly... it is unrealistic that the X3 will check all the boxes for those people that are wanting a premium audiophile DAP for $200. Compromise is the name of the game, and it seems like many people won't have to compromise much, or at all.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,664 of 17,481
O.K. let me start over.

Gapless playback is an absolute must for me. If I have to spend 3X the price...O.K....but it is not a point of compromise that I am willing to accept.

All I want to understand...and PLEASE, recognize that I am a newbie here...is this:

If I have all my albums burned in FLAC with proper tags and a nice clean 600x600 jpeg file in the folder for art BUT NO CUE FILE - Do I get gapless playback or not?

If this is a yes, "BUT" answer then please explain the "BUT"

If it is a No "UNLESS" answer then please explain the "UNLESS".

Sincerely,
Confused in New York

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,665 of 17,481
O.K. let me start over.

Gapless playback is an absolute must for me. If I have to spend 3X the price...O.K....but it is not a point of compromise that I am willing to accept.

All I want to understand...and PLEASE, recognize that I am a newbie here...is this:

If I have all my albums burned in FLAC with proper tags and a nice clean 600x600 jpeg file in the folder for art BUT NO CUE FILE - Do I get gapless playback or not?

If this is a yes, "BUT" answer then please explain the "BUT"

If it is a No "UNLESS" answer then please explain the "UNLESS".

Sincerely,
Confused in New York

Ok, this should explain it. Gapless mode is used for albums, so fIIo implementing in "Album Mode" is actually the correct way to do it on this device. Why do it another way, when this makes the most sense.

And gapless is there for your codec of choice, no cue file needed.

Gapless is there, and there's no missing promised features. It's all good!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back