The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 21, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #16,066 of 17,483
Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before in this thread, but could someone please point me to an explanation on how to create/manage external playlists on the X3? 
Thanks in advance

May 21, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #16,067 of 17,483
Hey all,

How do you guys organize your files? Actually, is it usual that when I update the library, it's actually taking a lot of time? Can't entirely remember how long but I think it's like 5min. I have to wait x min every time I move files over to the memory card. I read somewhere that organizing your files might improve the indexing. Also, if it's definitely about organization of files, do you guys use some tool? Or manually organize them yourselves?

Thanks!

May 21, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #16,068 of 17,483
I put my files into a genre folder followed by Artist and then the albums are planted in there in album folders.

It does take time to scan everything if you have a lot of files on your card. That's pretty normal.

May 21, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #16,069 of 17,483
  Hey all,

How do you guys organize your files? Actually, is it usual that when I update the library, it's actually taking a lot of time? Can't entirely remember how long but I think it's like 5min. I have to wait x min every time I move files over to the memory card. I read somewhere that organizing your files might improve the indexing. Also, if it's definitely about organization of files, do you guys use some tool? Or manually organize them yourselves?

Thanks!

How many tracks do you have? It takes less that a minute for me and I have about 3800 taking up about 45mb. If your tracks take up more space than that then it could well take longer but 5 minutes seems unusual.  I normally have to manually update the media library each time I add an album or else it doesn't see them. It sometimes does this automatically but I still have to wait while it counts up the tracks.

Every now and then, I look at my artist list in browse files and the music has appeared without me having to do a library update. This isn't often though.

I think it is normal having to update the media library every time you add something but I can't be sure why it takes so long for you. Some other people have said that you don't need to update it each time so again, I can't be sure.

May 21, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #16,070 of 17,483
 Hey all,

Thanks!

i use MP3tag: export tag to file name: %artist%\%year% - %album%\%artist% - %year% - %album% - %discnumber%$num2(%track%) - %trackname%

which creates:

Depeche mode (folder)
         1990 - Violator (folder)
               Depeche Mode - 1990 - Violator - 101 - World in my eyes.flac (file)

and i have one image, 500x500 pixels, called "cover.jpg" per album folder. no embedded albumart.

May 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #16,074 of 17,483
i use MP3tag: export tag to file name: %artist%\%year% - %album%\%artist% - %year% - %album% - %discnumber%$num2(%discnumber%) - %trackname%

which creates:

Depeche mode (folder)
         1990 - Violator (folder)

I do something similar. My folder structure is the same, but I use "Track# TrackName" for the file name.

The "Year" tag in the album folder level is really nice - keeps all your albums in order of release :L3000:

CH23 - I don't see Track# in your tagging schema. How do you get songs to play in the correct album order?

May 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #16,075 of 17,483
I tend to just listen alpabeticly using the browse files option. The pain here is that I now have 160 different artists. Some contain over 10 albums. I have already got it split in to A - H, I - Q and R - Z. I may have to split it into more soon.

I would like it if I could listen to each artist with their albums in date order too but it doesn't seem to be that easy. It doesn't bother me enough to try though. When I tag tracks, for some reason, if they are Mp3s, the artist name, and album title doesn't appear. It just says unknown for both even though I tagged them. What is good though is that I can see the name of the artist and albums in browse files and that is all I am bothered about.

May 21, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #16,076 of 17,483
TheGiantHogweed - MP3Tag can automate naming files/folders so you get Year + AlbumName as a folder level. I do this with all my FLAC files before dragging the folders over to my DAP. For anything I've got from iTunes, I rename after dragging the folders over. It's really easy and doesn't take long. Just set it up, walk away to do something else, and it should be done :)

Oh yeah, alphabet folders like A-C, D-F, etc are your next step fo-sho :wink_face:

May 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #16,077 of 17,483
@TheGiantHogweed - MP3Tag can automate naming files/folders so you get Year + AlbumName as a folder level. I do this with all my FLAC files before dragging the folders over to my DAP. For anything I've got from iTunes, I rename after dragging the folders over. It's really easy and doesn't take long. Just set it up, walk away to do something else, and it should be done
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, alphabet folders like A-C, D-F, etc are your next step fo-sho
wink_face.gif

I have got a program called EasyTAG. I think that this can do the same but I am not at all sure how I do this. Lots of my music is stuff I record from Spotify. (Using Audacity) I split and name each track and I do give the artist and album names as well as the year of the album on each track. On my PC, if I go into a tracks properties, all my information is on it. Once it gets put on the X3, it is gone. What is most strange though is if I export the files as oggs instead of Mp3s, the X3 sees everything is should. There is something strange about the way Audacity does things or it is just me doing this wrong.

I would say most of the music I have tagged had all the information I want in the properties. I would be useful if I worked out how to get it to show up on the X3. If this program would somehow do this without me having to do all of my tracks or albums individually. If it takes a long time, I don't mind but what would be a pain is having to keep going back to it every few minutes. I have 1331 tracks at the moment that I have named and tagged and most of them already have this info on them, just not on the X3.

May 21, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #16,079 of 17,483
i use MP3tag: export tag to file name: %artist%\%year% - %album%\%artist% - %year% - %album% - %discnumber%$num2(%track%) - %trackname%

which creates:

Depeche mode (folder)
         1990 - Violator (folder)

I do something similar. My folder structure is the same, but I use "Track# TrackName" for the file name.

The "Year" tag in the album folder level is really nice - keeps all your albums in order of release :L3000:

CH23 - I don't see Track# in your tagging schema. How do you get songs to play in the correct album order?

Oops! I just wrote that from the top of my head, and accidentally had the discnumber tag instead of tracknumber. I've fixed it now. %discnumber%$num2(%track%)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back