The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 8, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #16,038 of 17,484
  it never ends ! 

Never
confused_face.gif

May 8, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #16,040 of 17,484
I  used my X3 as a DAC a few times on my computer and found I far prefer my Dragonfly and far, far prefer my Geekout 450.
I never bothered to try using my X5 as a DAC on my computer because of this. I am wondering what I may have missed. Have you guys tried other DACs than the X3?

May 8, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #16,041 of 17,484
I  used my X3 as a DAC a few times on my computer and found I far prefer my Dragonfly and far, far prefer my Geekout 450.
I never bothered to try using my X5 as a DAC on my computer because of this. I am wondering what I may have missed. Have you guys tried other DACs than the X3?

Personally speaking, I've only used FiiO's own E07k and Audinst HUD Dacs till now, but my point was that the X3 in USB Dac mode sounds better in all aspects when compared to its standalone DAP mode IMO.

I'm sure most of us know that usb Dacs like the Geek Out and Dragonfly, or even Audioengine D3, sound pretty great, and don't cost a lot more than the X3. Which is why the urge to upgrade to a better amp comes around (again, imo).

May 8, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #16,042 of 17,484

no , i don't because i listen to my music from my players only ..

May 8, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #16,043 of 17,484
  Personally speaking, I've only used FiiO's own E07k and Audinst HUD Dacs till now, but my point was that the X3 in USB Dac mode sounds better in all aspects when compared to its standalone DAP mode IMO.

I'm sure most of us know that usb Dacs like the Geek Out and Dragonfly, or even Audioengine D3, sound pretty great, and don't cost a lot more than the X3. Which is why the urge to upgrade to a better amp comes around (again, imo).

Oddly enough, both my Dragonfly 1.2 and my Geekout were cheaper than my X3. But they are lousy players and can only store 0 songs.  :wink:

May 9, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #16,044 of 17,484

I also listen to music from the player only (with line out), I used X3 as a DAC for movies, and just tried music sometimes. The DAC on the 2nd gen X3 is a great improvement compared to the 1st gen...

May 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #16,045 of 17,484

Be it as DAC or DAP, I don't like my X3 through headphone out which is why I always have amp connected thru line out.
I might upgrade soon

May 9, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #16,046 of 17,484
Be it as DAC or DAP, I don't like my X3 through headphone out which is why I always have amp connected thru line out.
I might upgrade soon

i like the HO fine, but i do prefer the LO in most cases. with headphones, i always use a portable amp (E12 v1). in addition, i use my X3 as a source almost everywhere in my life: home stereo, bedroom stereo, portable speaker, and car. problem for me is that the LO level is a bit too high and so louder recordings can be distorted with some of my devices' aux in circuits, specifically my bedroom stereo, portable speaker, and car. and so in those cases i have no choice but to use the X3's headphone jack. but it doesn't really matter because none of these lesser systems are revealing enough to hear much difference.

May 11, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #16,047 of 17,484
Controversial?

Sorry about the quality, my phone's cam is pretty bad.. I painted the X3 because I am not a careful person and tend to drop things, so the X3 was pretty beat up. I wanted to try something new 
biggrin.gif
 Some might not like it and if I were to do it again, I would maybe only paint the sides and tape the brushed back. But overall, I'm quite satisfied. A qualified painter would probably have got a better result and I also did not polish it (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back