The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #14,641 of 17,484
I certainly think so with my mid-fi cans, but ymmv. I recently pulled out my iPod 5.5 and was surprised at how veiled it sounded.

That ^

:)

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #14,642 of 17,484
Is there anyone here that how much improvement will i get if i upgrade my dap from an ipod 5.5g to fiio x3? thanks in advance

There is no comparison at all, I pretty much did the same upgrade. The cirrus chip in that i****e is a mess.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #14,643 of 17,484
  Is there anyone here that how much improvement will i get if i upgrade my dap from an ipod 5.5g to fiio x3? thanks in advance

fuller sound -  deeper - hardware bass & treble controls - way better & more powerful amp - more powerful line out - 
digital out ( coax ) - expandable memory 

the only down is the tiring UI .. what i mean is if you want to do a simple thing you should press many buttons to do it 

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #14,644 of 17,484
fuller sound -  deeper - hardware bass & treble controls - way better & more powerful amp - more powerful line out - 
digital out ( coax ) - expandable memory 

the only down is the tiring UI .. what i mean is if you want to do a simple thing you should press many buttons to do it 

If you use a theme with modded list ui this isn't an issue anymore :wink:

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #14,645 of 17,484

Depends if the ipod is paired with an amp may you notice a slight difference

if the ipod is not amped, then the fiio x3 will win the ipod with fuller, great soundstage, warm sound.

My ipod 160GB sucked at SQ even with lossless, sounded so veiled, so boring

ANYWAYS i doubt there are spare parts for the ipod as now is discontinued, I tried to repair mine but all shops that i Dialed told me we no longer repair those due to lack of parts

GET THE FIIO X3, be brave with the UI and quircky bugs 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #14,646 of 17,484
If you use a theme with modded list ui this isn't an issue anymore
wink.gif

i am not talking about the ui theme or appearance i use of course a modded list theme .. and didn't had a problem even with the original theme ... i am talking about the bass&treble adjustments which disappeared from the quick menu .. making a simple tweak is a pain with all those presses and no short cut for the eq too............................. plus it don't remember the path of the played song ( the least important to me to be honest ) 

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #14,647 of 17,484
There is no comparison at all, I pretty much did the same upgrade. The cirrus chip in that i****e is a mess.

We're not discussing iPhone. We're discussing iPod 5.5g, which uses Wolfson DAC - not Cirrus DAC.

Depends if the ipod is paired with an amp may you notice a slight difference

if the ipod is not amped, then the fiio x3 will win the ipod with fuller, great soundstage, warm sound.

My ipod 160GB sucked at SQ even with lossless, sounded so veiled, so boring

ANYWAYS i doubt there are spare parts for the ipod as now is discontinued, I tried to repair mine but all shops that i Dialed told me we no longer repair those due to lack of parts

GET THE FIIO X3, be brave with the UI and quircky bugs :D

We're discussing iPod vs. X3 - not iPod+amp vs. X3. If we hooked-up the same amp to iPod 5.5g vs. X3, I'd expect the X3+amp would sound better.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #14,649 of 17,484
Currently, i have the ipod 5.5g and an e11k amp. It also sounded veiled to me after listening to a colorfly c4. Will the x3/ dx50/ ihifi 770 remove this veil? I really regret listening to that colorfly now.

can you tell how "better" the x3 is from the ipod setup? Also there is the problem of the X3k. Damn upgrade itch

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #14,651 of 17,484

X3 does sound better. But you won't hear it with a low quality headphone. The better headphone you use, the more difference you hear. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #14,652 of 17,484
i have a fischer audio dba-02. I tried it with x5, alien and colorfly c4. Its really great. Detailed, fast and the bass is there (for me just the right amount, fast and detailed) and the highs on all three daps are very great. Not to forget the mids which for me are stellar. I just dont know if the x3 will deliver just as good as the x5, alien or the colorfly. 

The ipod 5.5g is getting really pretty old and no more parts available for it so i guess i really need to upgrade. just dont know what dap to get.

Appreciate if anyone can help :)

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #14,653 of 17,484
i have a fischer audio dba-02. I tried it with x5, alien and colorfly c4. Its really great. Detailed, fast and the bass is there (for me just the right amount, fast and detailed) and the highs on all three daps are very great. Not to forget the mids which for me are stellar. I just dont know if the x3 will deliver just as good as the x5, alien or the colorfly. 

The ipod 5.5g is getting really pretty old and no more parts available for it so i guess i really need to upgrade. just dont know what dap to get.

I find the X5 easily worth the difference in price, having owned both. Haven't heard the alien or colorfly.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #14,654 of 17,484
Jan 14, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #14,655 of 17,484

It depends on your budget. X3 has amazing sound for the price. UI is not great, button layout is also something, you have to get used to. (Especially, if you are coming from ipod.) But if you are a "sound quality over all" kind of guy, you will be very happy with it. If you have more money to spend, go for the X5. Not because you will experience a big sq difference with the dba-02, but because of the overall user experience. (And later on you might wanna upgrade your earphones, or buy a headphone.) 
I would consider X1 as well, if you do not really need DAC function. 
In my opinion you can go for any of the mentioned players, you won't be disappointed sound quality wise. Choose according to your wallet, and preference. 
If you enter the world of $400+ IEMs and headphones, than it can be a more difficult choice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back