The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 12, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #14,626 of 17,484
ok after listening a little more closely i'm hearing something different when using the EQ. it's sorta like it's less lively or less clear or something. i can't quite put my finger on it, but something is missing. so now i'm even more interested in hearing from someone who knows what happens when the EQ is engaged.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #14,627 of 17,484
  ok after listening a little more closely i'm hearing something different when using the EQ. it's sorta like it's less lively or less clear or something. i can't quite put my finger on it, but something is missing. so now i'm even more interested in hearing from someone who knows what happens when the EQ is engaged.

I do not know, what happens, but I do not like it either. I do not like to use software EQ on X3 at all. 
I do like a bit of the hardware eq though. It is a shame, it does not work on line out... 

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #14,628 of 17,484

+1 .... enabling the software eq even in flat position do something to the sound making it as you described exactly (not just a volume drop ) .. so i am staying away from it most of times

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #14,629 of 17,484
Near the beginning of this thread it was found that the HO with volume around something like 93/100 was very very close to the sound of the LO (they've changed the volume setting since, but you get the idea). I realize it's double amping but if you turn up the volume to max/almost max you can get the best of both worlds with HW bass/treble. I suggest doing some tests to see if you like it.

The EQ is implemented on the SoC (System on Chip) in software before it goes to the DAC, which is why you can use it with LO. The bass/treble is implemented in the amp section which is why you don't hear it through LO.

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #14,630 of 17,484

Yea I get that feeling too. It's like somewhat muffled? Or veiled sounding, as if there's a thick curtain in the way or something. :confused_face_2:

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #14,631 of 17,484
  I do not know, what happens, but I do not like it either. I do not like to use software EQ on X3 at all. 
I do like a bit of the hardware eq though. It is a shame, it does not work on line out... 

+1 .... enabling the software eq even in flat position do something to the sound making it as you described exactly (not just a volume drop ) .. so i am staying away from it most of times

Yea I get that feeling too. It's like somewhat muffled? Or veiled sounding, as if there's a thick curtain in the way or something.
confused_face_2.gif

ok, good . so i'm not crazy then. well, not in this regard at least.

and i wouldn't say it's a thick curtain. more like a sheet maybe? it's not super obvious to my ear and took me a little while to realize it.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #14,632 of 17,484
Near the beginning of this thread it was found that the HO with volume around something like 93/100 was very very close to the sound of the LO (they've changed the volume setting since, but you get the idea). I realize it's double amping but if you turn up the volume to max/almost max you can get the best of both worlds with HW bass/treble. I suggest doing some tests to see if you like it.

The EQ is implemented on the SoC (System on Chip) in software before it goes to the DAC, which is why you can use it with LO. The bass/treble is implemented in the amp section which is why you don't hear it through LO.

ok yeah, thanks. good to know. this didn't even occur to me, probably due to the stigma of double amping. might be hard to confidently a/b when i have to switch the amp's volume (for my ear at least), but i'll def give it a try. thanks for the tip.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #14,633 of 17,484
ok yeah, thanks. good to know. this didn't even occur to me, probably due to the stigma of double amping. might be hard to confidently a/b when i have to switch the amp's volume (for my ear at least), but i'll def give it a try. thanks for the tip.

Definately worth a try, but I'd suggest being careful not to boost volume past the amount that you are boosting. For example if you boost bass by +6db then I would only pump the HO volume to something around 88/100 (I find that 12 volume units is around 6db difference). Of course this is all relative and approximate but I hope you get the idea. Experiment and find what is the closest to the sound of the line-out. A db meter helps, or you can get an app to measure approximate sound levels.

The reason the SW EQ is automatically pre-amped to -6db when active is to avoid clipping, which is also why it sounds less dynamic. To compensate for the less dynamic sound with SW EQ raise the volume up by +6db (approx 12 units).

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #14,638 of 17,484

Thanks, I tried it. X3 volume on 100/120, and lower volume on my Vali. 
I have to say, I like the result. It just makes me worry a little bit about the X3, if I would always use it like this...

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #14,640 of 17,484
Is there anyone here that how much improvement will i get if i upgrade my dap from an ipod 5.5g to fiio x3? thanks in advance

I certainly think so with my mid-fi cans, but ymmv. I recently pulled out my iPod 5.5 and was surprised at how veiled it sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back