The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 14, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #14,656 of 17,484
Hi,

I have Vsonic VSD3S and would like to upgrade my IEMs my budget is around $100 to $150, I was going for Vsonic MK II or Classic edition, but want to run through you guys first if there is any better options available in this price range.

Basically I want a wide sound-stage and good detailed and punchy bass earphones.

If anyone could help me with this, would really appreciate!

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #14,657 of 17,484
It depends on your budget. X3 has amazing sound for the price. UI is not great, button layout is also something, you have to get used to. (Especially, if you are coming from ipod.) But if you are a "sound quality over all" kind of guy, you will be very happy with it. If you have more money to spend, go for the X5. Not because you will experience a big sq difference with the dba-02, but because of the overall user experience. (And later on you might wanna upgrade your earphones, or buy a headphone.) 

I would consider X1 as well, if you do not really need DAC function. 

In my opinion you can go for any of the mentioned players, you won't be disappointed sound quality wise. Choose according to your wallet, and preference. 

If you enter the world of $400+ IEMs and headphones, than it can be a more difficult choice...

UI can be improved by going into the Sponsor forum, looking for Fiio, and downloading one of the custom firmware setups there. I have a really nice one on mine, everything is labeled with words, font is nice, and good choice of colors. Just thought I'd share.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #14,658 of 17,484
  Hi,

I have Vsonic VSD3S and would like to upgrade my IEMs my budget is around $100 to $150, I was going for Vsonic MK II or Classic edition, but want to run through you guys first if there is any better options available in this price range.

Basically I want a wide sound-stage and good detailed and punchy bass earphones.

If anyone could help me with this, would really appreciate!

Thanks!

Audio Technica ATH-IM70 is quite good for the price. Punchy bass, forward mids with an easy going top end.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #14,659 of 17,484
Hi,

since the X3 v1 will be out of the market, I contacted Fiio's support to buy an X3 battery just in case I might need it in the future.
For everyone who might be interested, they sell them for $15.75.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #14,660 of 17,484
Hi,

since the X3 v1 will be out of the market, I contacted Fiio's support to buy an X3 battery just in case I might need it in the future.
For everyone who might be interested, they sell them for $15.75.

So they gonna discontinue support for the X3 v1? What a bad move.

Unless they are willing to replace everyone's X3 v1 with v2.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #14,661 of 17,484
James said that they were gonna be more update :

Is this the last release ever for this unit or just a final for this round. I am still hoping for a streamlined user interface. Available skipping to next folder in file mode. Easier bRowsing to tone control and file structure of device while playing a file in particular.

for this round only. We will let our user know when we decide to stop the firmware upgrade for X3.

Hardware wise, I'm not sure for how long they are gonna have replacement part, this is why I ordered a battery. I preferred to order one now than taking the chance x years from now to ask for one since the X3 v1 is going out of the market.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #14,662 of 17,484
So they gonna discontinue support for the X3 v1? What a bad move.

Unless they are willing to replace everyone's X3 v1 with v2.

Nobody said that. What makes you think this? Nobody mentioned support is going to stop, sales will though...

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #14,667 of 17,484
Thanks, but do u think 10 ohms earphone will perform @ its best given X3 has headphones Impedance of 16 ~ 100 ohms?

Should be alright I'd think. The X3 has a very powerful amp. Only thing may be that the battery life might be decreased very slightly owing to the relatively higher current requirement. You'd be more likely to max out your ears before the player i think. :D

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #14,668 of 17,484
Should be alright I'd think. The X3 has a very powerful amp. Only thing may be that the battery life might be decreased very slightly owing to the relatively higher current requirement. You'd be more likely to max out your ears before the player i think. :D

I agree, the X3 has no need for an extra amp.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #14,669 of 17,484
At first I thought x3 sounded better line out to nx1, now, not so sure about "better". Less v shaped? Sure, but not necessarily better. Only gain I really like about that combo is insane battery life of nx1, and having a volume knob. But, you also double the size...so as of late, x3 solo for my cheapo havi b3 pro1's makes me insanely happy. Only issue I have is the "unknown artist" thing. But I'm sure fiio will fix this soon and I'm to lazy to try other fw.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #14,670 of 17,484
I agree, the X3 has no need for an extra amp.

R u guys sure about this, cause as far as I have read and understood, more the headphone impedance more amp it requires to drive it, so ath- IM70 being just 10 ohms in my understanding will be over powered by X3 as it's headphone impedance is 16 to 100 ohms?

I'm still studying the ohms and voltage effects of headphones, earphones and amps, so sorry if I'm mistaken.

Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back