The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 10, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #13,921 of 17,484
  Does Fiio X3 play six channel audio ?

The X3 and X1 (and I assume the X5) will actually play 5.1 channel WAV files. It's obviously a fold-down to 2 channels. But at least you can listen to the music.  It seems to only work on WAV files. I tried ALAC, FLAC and AIFF, and it didn't work. These were files created with DVD Audio Extractor.

Someone else here (I think on the X1 thread) was able to play files pulled from DTS Audio CDs. I tried that, but only got it to work on the first track of the DTS albums. (It's still curious that it actually decoded the DTS at all!)

I stopped experimenting with this, since I don't have much use for files that can't play in other players, and don't have a 5.1 channel setup.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #13,922 of 17,484
I preferred it when it had a maximum volume of 60 too.

I think that it would be good if another firmware had the two options. One that has a max volume of 60 and the other having a max of 120. So long as they are just as loud as each other when at max, I think it will work out well. The other day, I went back to FW2.1 and the volume control was so much more responsive. I didn't need to hold it for ages to make a big difference.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #13,923 of 17,484
I think that it would be good if another firmware had the two options. One that has a max volume of 60 and the other having a max of 120. So long as they are just as loud as each other when at max, I think it will work out well. The other day, I went back to FW2.1 and the volume control was so much more responsive. I didn't need to hold it for ages to make a big difference.

I've toyed with the idea of going back to an older firmware but I used to get so much freezing that I haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll try out FW2.1 again today. I liked the layout of the old FW better too. It's a good idea though of having the two options in one firmware.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #13,924 of 17,484

I tried the old firmware but it still freezes on me too much. I actually went to FW1.31 and that  was really buggy. I do like the maximum volume at 60 but FW 3.22 works too well for me to stay on the old buggy firmware.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #13,925 of 17,484
I've toyed with the idea of going back to an older firmware but I used to get so much freezing that I haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll try out FW2.1 again today. I liked the layout of the old FW better too. It's a good idea though of having the two options in one firmware.

The issue I had in 2.1 was a hissing/crackling sound during playback. This was mainly noticeable on quiet tracks. Other than that, I liked the layout and quite a few other things about FW2.1.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #13,926 of 17,484
The issue I had in 2.1 was a hissing/crackling sound during playback. This was mainly noticeable on quiet tracks. Other than that, I liked the layout and quite a few other things about FW2.1.

Yes I get the hissing too on quiet tracks with FW2.1. But as much as I like the volume at 60 and the nice layout I think I'll stay with FW3.22. I never get freezing and gapless works well too. It would be good if they could use the old layout with the improvements of the most recent firmwares and have the max. volume at 60.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #13,927 of 17,484
Yeah just tried 5.1 flac it doesn't play.. What is best way to convert to 2.1 flac

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use dbpoweramp music converter, it has a cost but is a nice sofware

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #13,929 of 17,484
Yes I get the hissing too on quiet tracks with FW2.1. But as much as I like the volume at 60 and the nice layout I think I'll stay with FW3.22. I never get freezing and gapless works well too. It would be good if they could use the old layout with the improvements of the most recent firmwares and have the max. volume at 60.

I only noticed this background noise when playing Mp3s on FW2.1. Every other format sounded fine. I too will stay with FW 3.22b as the battery indicater is more accurate than on FW 3.24b and I think it looks better too.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #13,930 of 17,484
I only noticed this background noise when playing Mp3s on FW2.1. Every other format sounded fine. I too will stay with FW 3.22b as the battery indicater is more accurate than on FW 3.24b and I think it looks better too.

I was using FW3.24 for less than a day and I couldn't stand the tiny percentage number for the battery indicator and it didn't seem to be accurate so I went back to 3.22. I agree the bars on the battery indicator look better and it does seem fairly accurate. At least accurate enough for a music player.

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #13,931 of 17,484

I agree the bars on the battery indicator look better and it does seem fairly accurate. At least accurate enough for a music player.

+ 1

In my case, a percentage of 78% -84% when supposedly fully loaded appears. In fact, it seems to me that the battery lasts less. I do not like battery percentage indicator
biggrin.gif

Back to 3.22 fw too.

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #13,932 of 17,484
Been using this player for about 3 weeks now and still hoping for a miracle that the so-called burn-in process can fix its so unusual sound signature. But it gives me nothing but fatigue and head aches. Anyone can explain why it sounds sooooo different than any DAP's in the market? 

Using Sony MDR EX510 (neutral sounding)
FW 2.1, 2.14B, 3.22B, and 3.24B. 

2.1 sounds powerful than the rest, offers better volume with slight hiss and noise here and there but its what I use. Because other FW sounded small. Knowing how capable the hardware of the player is compared to a phone or iPod. Or I am just expecting more out of it. Come on! It was built and engineered to play music. For the asking price it should kick every music player out built on a phone or tablet! Or even players from Cowon, Apple or Sony with less capable hardware.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #13,933 of 17,484
You still didn't try to use other headphones with it to make sure that it's the player ..not a synergy issue?
Most players you mentioned has a neutral sound and most of them had slightly rolled off bass ...so they with the slightly bassy sony makes a good combination... On the other hand fiio has an overly sound signature with slightly recessed mid range .... So with sony headphones the sound would seem muffled or so ( from your description)
Try to use other quality headphones ..or use the line out with any headphone amp and your sony to change the signature
You tried to use the high gain ??? I know this sounds weird to some but actually it is the setting i use permanently because i find that it offers Better sound !!

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #13,934 of 17,484
I tried it with another IEM. My brother's Sony MDR XB90EX which has high emphasis on bass. Still sounding muffled. Even worst than that of the 510's. On a Sennheiser CX870, it is bassy and the treble makes your ears bleed to death. I don't know. Hi-gain somehow improves the overall sound quality with the expense of tiny hiss and noise but it still toooo far from what I expect and read based on those countless reviews of many self proclaimed audio enthusiasts before buying it.

My problem with its sound signature is that it tends to focus on some part which is not the case on any DAP, HiFi Component or even on a PC with a decent sound card. Then focus' less on those are focused on the equipments I mentioned. This makes songs sound sooo different on this thing. 

I am no audiophile but I've been into this earphone-player thing even before Steve Jobs introduced the first iPod and was listening to the same songs til now. 

Can anyone explain why it sounded different? Can Fiio play more with its SQ and create a moreGENERIC sounding player that will not go beyond the usual sound signature? Generic but still coming out on top in terms of details, bass, and stereo separation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back