The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 8, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #13,891 of 17,484
  Yeah there are stores that sell 24/96... including qobuz and the Classical shop and of courseyou can also get music from the Ol' P2P
biggrin.gif

Yes, i know, there are some stores, who sell 24/96 and 24/192 khz music files.
But i want to know, there are a physical carrier ( DVD? Blu-Ray?) from what i can rip music in higher quality than from audio-cd?

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #13,892 of 17,484
Did you at one point use the AKG K550s with the X3? I use mainly them with the X3. I sometimes use my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s with the X3 when I am at home. The K550s to me sound good at everything but bass response when I am travelling. Strangely though, I think that when I use them at home, it is the bass that is the best thing about them. I use the X3 when on the move and normally my E10 or E11 when I am at home. The E11 through the line out of the E10 strangely does sound a bit better than the Headphone Out of the X3 does.

Yes I did use the K550 with the X3 and I thought they paired well. My headphone usage is mostly at home so I can't really comment on how the pair sounds on the go. I loved the hardware implemented bass/treble control on the X3 and the K550 responded well to some minor bass lift, so if you need more I'm sure the X3 could provide it on the go.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #13,893 of 17,484

Yeah there are stores that sell 24/96... including qobuz and the Classical shop and of courseyou can also get music from the Ol' P2P:D

Yes, i know, there are some stores, who sell 24/96 and 24/192 khz music files.
But i want to know, there are a physical carrier ( DVD? Blu-Ray?) from what i can rip music in higher quality than from audio-cd?

That would mainly be DVD-A. SACDs can't be ripped without jumping through hoops like a crazed circus dolphin... :deadhorse:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 8, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #13,894 of 17,484
now there is Fiio X3 Stacking Kit "HS15" in Fiio's website !! this is awesome
beerchug.gif

i am wondering when it will be available !
and i want to know is the stacking frame is made of metal or plastic ? because i am little worried about the breaking of the frame lips with continuous usage !

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #13,895 of 17,484

I think you would be able to tell the difference on much better equipment but it is just so minor that it is hardly noticeable at all when comparing the two on the X3 with my headphones. I can tell the difference between 320kbps Mp3s and 24bit flacs though
biggrin.gif

I've only purchased 2 albums that were 24 bit flac files. I've listened to them on my X3 with the same album in iTunes aac format so that a track plays in flac and then one plays in aac and for one album I can definitely tell a difference in sound. The flac files from HD tracks sound more powerful and detailed but the other I cant tell the difference between the two at all.

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #13,896 of 17,484
I received email from fiio customer support containing the warranty fill-in form, but they ask me for a copy of the invoice or recepit (this is normal,every seller asks you for this under warranty claims), but the seller gave me NO invoice or recepit, so i have no proof of purchase

Also sending the product back to fiio factory in china and paying the return fee is more expensive than purchasing a new DAP

I'm not saying that fiio products suck, I loved it while it lasted had great SQ and they try hard for the customer support but.. the local seller is the messy part thus it ruins the warranty claim (see above)

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #13,897 of 17,484
New user here. Been using X3 for 2 weeks now and I would say my experience so far with this player has been underwhelming. I like the power and clarity it has got, but there is this subtle surround sound enhancement like thing going on in there instead of plain stereo output which is ruining everything for me. It is making the bass feel empty and higher parts skewed. It is very slight but it is there and becomes more noticeable when I sink into the music after listening for a while. Is this the way this unit is suppose to sound like and guys here like it or is something wrong with one I got?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #13,898 of 17,484
New user here. Been using X3 for 2 weeks now and I would say my experience so far with this player has been underwhelming. I like the power and clarity it has got, but there is this subtle surround sound enhancement like thing going on in there instead of plain stereo output which is ruining everything for me. It is making the bass feel empty and higher parts skewed. It is very slight but it is there and becomes more noticeable when I sink into the music after listening for a while. Is this the way this unit is suppose to sound like and guys here like it or is something wrong with one I got?

Hmmm which headphones, songs and format?

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #13,899 of 17,484
  now there is Fiio X3 Stacking Kit "HS15" in Fiio's website !! this is awesome
beerchug.gif

i am wondering when it will be available !
and i want to know is the stacking frame is made of metal or plastic ? because i am little worried about the breaking of the frame lips with continuous usage !

Just about time! Going to wait for it
Finally I could get these velcro off from my amp.
But is the L16 included? If it is, my L16 that I ordered gonna be a waste....

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #13,900 of 17,484
This is standard practice from any business to need a copy of proof of purchase (especially in a warranty claims).

Always purchase your fiio gear through an authorised dealer, this will give you a return and exchange point within your country. And you will avoid huge postage costs.
(Their website shows the audtharised dealers)

To be fair I found fiio support very good, (even with a language barrier) all in all every issue I've had has been addressed, in a positive, timely manner.

I received email from fiio customer support containing the warranty fill-in form, but they ask me for a copy of the invoice or recepit (this is normal,every seller asks you for this under warranty claims), but the seller gave me NO invoice or recepit, so i have no proof of purchase

Also sending the product back to fiio factory in china and paying the return fee is more expensive than purchasing a new DAP

I'm not saying that fiio products suck, I loved it while it lasted had great SQ and they try hard for the customer support but.. the local seller is the messy part thus it ruins the warranty claim (see above)

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #13,901 of 17,484
This is standard practice from any business to need a copy of proof of purchase (especially in a warranty claims).

Always purchase your fiio gear through an authorised dealer, this will give you a return and exchange point within your country. And you will avoid huge postage costs.
(Their website shows the audtharised dealers)

To be fair I found fiio support very good, (even with a language barrier) all in all every issue I've had has been addressed, in a positive, timely manner.

The dealer is listed in Fiio's website as their authorized dealer for Mexico... nice one, many small merchants do this of mexico of not giving the customer a proof of purchase because they are informal workers not paying taxes

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #13,903 of 17,484
Best thing to do is ask for a receipt and let them know you won't buy it without one.
This sounds like dodgy business practice to me, best to avoid dodgy sellers that will not provide an invoice. It is in a way saying "you know you have no warranty" as you buy it.

The dealer is listed in Fiio's website as their authorized dealer for Mexico... nice one, many small merchants do this of mexico of not giving the customer a proof of purchase because they are informal workers not paying taxes

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #13,904 of 17,484

Verry interesting.
In what way you think, you can proof, you have an a warranty for your X3, if you do not have any document about purchase? :-O
Ok, apart of your mistake, if really that "distributor" is "authorized dealer", and is in fiio website, you can write them about situation: that must be FiiO problem, if his official dealer do not provide 
purchase proof, and do not make warranty exchange.
in that case, i think, FiiO must resolve problem, and without paying from purchaser side...

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #13,905 of 17,484
I get 24/96 files from HDTracks. You should also check the artist's own website. I paid too much for McCartney through HDTracks. Should have gotten it from his own site.
Again, the resolution itself is not the improvement you're hearing, it is the audiophile remastering, and mostly, that's lessening dynamic compression.
the problem that creates bad information is expectations bias. If you shell out the money and know it is 24/96, then for you, the emperor has clothes. I wonder if a large part of burn-in is all about adjusting to equipment deficiencies.
I don't want to start a flame war with statements like "In my opinion" "To my ears" "I heard the difference." It's just opinion. When a truly blind test was performed, 16/44 was indistinguishable from 24/96. That's with electrostatic speakers, musicians, music producers, etc. as listeners. But that test was done by taking a 24/96 file and reducing it to 16/44.
When the commercial CD release is compared to the commercial DVD-Audio or SACD, the high rez sounded much better. The Boston Audio Society authors contacted the sound engineers and found that since the engineers knew that anyone who was an early adopter of DVD-Audio or SACD would have a quiet listening environment with equipment properly set up, the engineers could be free to mix accordingly. Otherwise, they go for maximum loudness and peak compression. Regular broadcast radio needs to limit peaks because they are licensed to a particular signal strength, no more, yet if they were too quiet to leave room for the peaks, people in the fringe listening area would turn the dial. So sound engineers (many of them don't like it), have to mix for the market. They actually love us, the people who are music enthusiasts who want to hear better sound, and are glad to let us hear what they heard in the studio or on the original live recording.
So even if it seems strange, you could burn a 16/44 FLAC of a 24/192 file and use it on the X3, saving space and not sacrificing sound.
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back