The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #11,882 of 17,481
Definitely a nice little player for sure. Gets loud, nice bass.

I have recently upgraded from X3 to ClipZip and this tiny piece of plastic drives all my portable phones with ease! I said "upgraded" for the only reason that its PEQ allows me to equalize my ety hf5 to a very neutral sound. Once the X3 can do that, I'll be happy to upgrade again, this time back to X3 for its better build and haptic quality and the more powerful amp, just in case I might ever need that. I hope FiiO take their time and do it right. But maybe I'm expecting too much...

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #11,883 of 17,481
HI guys,

first time poster. been reading this and few other treads for a while now. I am after an IEM for my Fiio X3. I also have the Fiio E12. My budget is about 200-300 GBP. I was thinking of the Dunu DN1000 and then did some reading on the Dunu DN2000. Recently I also came across VSonic GR07 as to be a good match with it. I am open to suggestions. I am also saving up for a DAC so if the marginal gain isnt too much then i will like to spend little less if possible.

I like little warmer/tubish sound. detailed but not too harsh treble. and a good sound stage. Not sure if i managed to explain what im looking for correctly. The headphone setup that i own are Bottlehead crack+ speedball with HD650, iFi Micro iCan with AKG702 and HE-400. I like the cracks sound alot but the hifiman is also fun from time to times. I use the hifiman with E12 and X3 often indoors :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #11,884 of 17,481
What headphones were those? Some don't scale a lot better with better gear, or conversely, scale badly with lesser gear (so when you use a better player or better amp it sounds a lot better).

Same thing I was wondering since the philipwareham mentioned M50 as a step up. Sounds like the X3 was auditioned with entry level phones to me...

I took the xiaomi piston and JVC HA 500S, then tried various shure/beyerdynamic/grado ones belonging to the store in the price range i plan to shop in. think i may have had fatigued ears by then.

Yes with a good heaphone you will see the differences, it does not matters if the x3 delivers good and detailed sound if the headphone is not capable to reproduce it. Use some 24/96 samples to see how good it sounds.

My take home thought was that the headphones are always said to be more important, so i should deal with them first and put more of my budget there. I took a usb with flac tracks to the store, will do that again next time.

Thanks, everybody.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #11,885 of 17,481
What store did you go to? I didn't manage to find any store in the UK that had the FiiO X3. I would have preferred to hear it before I got it but I like it anyway.

I'm still in guangzhou at the moment (back in the uk on friday night). i contacted fiio customer services and they told me where to find a stockist. shocked how good the shop looked. like the pics on here of meets. a rack on the wall covered in tester headphones, glass cabinet with portable amps and daps including x3, x5, dx50. a table covered in desktop headphone amps and several pairs of hifiman over ear models to try. was genuinely very surprised. first and only store remotely like this in guangzhou, and it must be a rarity elsewhere as well.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #11,887 of 17,481
I'm still in guangzhou at the moment (back in the uk on friday night). i contacted fiio customer services and they told me where to find a stockist. shocked how good the shop looked. like the pics on here of meets. a rack on the wall covered in tester headphones, glass cabinet with portable amps and daps including x3, x5, dx50. a table covered in desktop headphone amps and several pairs of hifiman over ear models to try. was genuinely very surprised. first and only store remotely like this in guangzhou, and it must be a rarity elsewhere as well.

You can visit our factory next time . 
L3000.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 31, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #11,889 of 17,481
I'm just done trying to prove to the Clip+ people that anything else can approach their favored device. Leave them to enjoy their decision. My Clip+ has not been used in years. Sure it is tiny, hooray. Sure it is Rockboxed, hooray. I'm over it. But to many, the secret truth is nothing will ever top the Clip+. We believe and accept, move on.

Look at the context: A clip plus sounds better than a phone (and spares battery and memory). I'm talking about whether I can hear the additional difference between that and a premium player whilst mostly listening on the subway or noisy urban bus rides. from there it occurs that i might wanna spend more of my budget on a desktop amp or open phones for listening at home instead, and spend less on portable. i don't see anything illogical in that, and i've read posts on here from more knowledgeable people on here saying similar things.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #11,890 of 17,481

I'm just done trying to prove to the Clip+ people that anything else can approach their favored device. Leave them to enjoy their decision. My Clip+ has not been used in years. Sure it is tiny, hooray. Sure it is Rockboxed, hooray. I'm over it. But to many, the secret truth is nothing will ever top the Clip+. We believe and accept, move on.

Look at the context: A clip plus sounds better than a phone (and spares battery and memory). I'm talking about whether I can hear the additional difference between that and a premium player whilst mostly listening on the subway or noisy urban bus rides. from there it occurs that i might wanna spend more of my budget on a desktop amp or open phones for listening at home instead, and spend less on portable. i don't see anything illogical in that, and i've read posts on here from more knowledgeable people on here saying similar things.

I am so happy for you!

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #11,892 of 17,481

I have a clip+, a clip zip, and an X3. I can hear the difference during my commute, but only with good, isolating headphones/iems, and with the volume turned up higher than I would normally listen (I generally have the volume on the low side of average). So, I use the clip zip unless I'm going somewhere where I can listen to music when I arrive, or if I'm in the mood to turn the music up! Actually, the clips are so convenient, I usually take one along anyway, in case I want to listen to the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back