The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 8, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #10,801 of 17,484
  That's worrying.

I seem to need much more volume than those reported here.
An average volume of 90 -100 on 3.0, using an HD558 and M50.

Is this normal?

The total amount of output volume does not change with firmware, as that is limited by hardware. The newer firmware does however give finer control as there are more 'steps' now.

As for how much volume you use, it also depends on your listening habit as well. Are you on high gain?

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #10,802 of 17,484
Thanks for the clarification ClieOS, and I dig the finer volume control on the 3.0.

I listen on low gain. Shift to high gain occasionally when using it as a USB DAC for watching downmixed 5.1 video (which seems to lower the volume level) on my laptop.

Does my level of 90-100 seem unusually high?

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #10,803 of 17,484
Does the Fiio X3 support .m3u and .pls playlists?
this is a deal breaker for me.
also, considering that all my IEM are maximum 100$ brands (VSonic VSD1S, id America Spark etc.)
will i hear significant SQ upgrade over Android smartphone? (Galaxy S1)

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #10,804 of 17,484
  Does the Fiio X3 support .m3u and .pls playlists?
this is a deal breaker for me.

No, still no support for playlists. I had thought this would be addressed in the new firmware but it wasn't.

I'm waiting for this too ... in the meantime I uses the X3 at home when I have time to kick back and enjoy the music, but won't take it to work as I don't have the time to constantly fiddle with it - I just want to pick a large playlist and let it play. I hope this is addressed, and quickly.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #10,805 of 17,484
  Thanks for the clarification ClieOS, and I dig the finer volume control on the 3.0.

I listen on low gain. Shift to high gain occasionally when using it as a USB DAC for watching downmixed 5.1 video (which seems to lower the volume level) on my laptop.

Does my level of 90-100 seem unusually high?

I've never gone >85 with dunu dn1k 

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #10,807 of 17,484
For anyones interest:
I just swapped back over to OSX and thought I would try ALAC again, as I had real issues with them in the last firmware - not playing, freezing, ID tags not showing etc - making them unpredictable and thus unusable for me.

So far, on latest V3 firmware:

Not a problem, all tags showing (all info, genres etc,  artwork showing), smooth and fast transitions between songs in different albums. 

These were ALL converted from .flac, a mixture of 16/44 24/96, artwork at 500x500 px and occupying 61gig on a Sandisk Ultra 64gig microSD.

I'll keep listening and report, though it all seems VERY smooth, sounding great.

Thanks
T.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #10,808 of 17,484
Hi everybody, I'm interested in buying this portable player but I read this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/677470/more-fiio-x3-64gb-microsd-issues
It mentions severe issues indexing files (disappearing data) and creating a proper library using 64GB sd card, that is needed using FLAC imho.. 

How is the situation with the last updates? Has anyone had similar problems with 64 GB sd card?

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #10,809 of 17,484
Hi everybody, I'm interested in buying this portable player but I read this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/677470/more-fiio-x3-64gb-microsd-issues
It mentions severe issues indexing files (disappearing data) and creating a proper library using 64GB sd card, that is needed using FLAC imho.. 

How is the situation with the last updates? Has anyone had similar problems with 64 GB sd card?

I haven't had any of that happen with my Sandisk 64gb cards. A lot of the problems people have had can be corrected with formatting the card directly with the X3, making sure your tags are clean, making sure your album art is embedded and not too large, and making sure you don't have unreadable files like playlists and PDFs. Once people invest a little time properly formatting the card and cleaning things, they typically have good luck.

Oh, and people have now moved on and are successfully using 128gb cards :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #10,810 of 17,484

Working absolutely flawless with a Samsung 64gb class 10. Also, the Samsung sd is faster than my Sandisk. And I don't get the issue of the Sandisk where it unmounts itself randomly. I guess it's starting to fail.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #10,811 of 17,484

Gulp! My hearing must be fading. Thanks for your response Ananasov!

Not necessarily. I've got a pair of V-Moda crossfades (M-100) hooked up to mine, and some of the audiophile stuff I listen to that has a really high dynamic range, I'm at 90. Then when I switch to a ripped CD, youch! I drop it back down to 75. So it depends a lot on what you're listening to.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #10,813 of 17,484

I now have 3800+ songs, mostly flac on my 64gb SanDisk, not a single problem.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #10,814 of 17,484
Mr Trev has an excellent theme that is list based... Can't throw you a link on mobile, but it is back a few pages or in the theme thread.

Ah, I found it, many thanks!

No issues on FW 3.0 (formatted the card with GUIformat), there *might* be some issues on the earlier ones.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #10,815 of 17,484

No issues with me ..... with almost full 64GB sd Sandisk  card  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back