The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #10,426 of 17,484
Thanx for reply, but I want use "custom" setting for volume.

May 28, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #10,427 of 17,484

Hi, inside the manual is this:

". Default Vol"

There are two options: Memory and Custom.

Memory: The volume would display as last time.

Custom: The volume would display as the set value.

Short press the “OK” button, get to the default volume settings and press “Next” or

“Previous” button to switch.

When lock on “Custom”, press vol+ to turn up and vol- to turn down; check the set value by

short pressing the “OK” button.

While the vol+ and vol- button would be out of use when lock on “Memory” ."

For me is the option "Custom" not available.  Available is only "Memory".

3.0 is a complete re-write of the X3 FW so quite a bit is different from what you'll find in the (older) manual.
If you want the memory function for the volume on the X3 set the default volume to 0 and the X3 will remember the last volume setting upon restart.

Haha, yes, the manual is a bit out of date even though it's stated to be version 3.0 :xf_eek:

What you want to do is navigate to the Default volume setting using the next and previous buttons and press ok, and use the volume keys to change the default volume. If the default volume is turned down to zero the Memory setting is engaged (remembers the volume before each power-off and applies it when powering on), otherwise, the Custom setting is engaged and the volume is set to the custom volume each time the unit powers on.

Also there is no album art / lyrics setting, lyrics display on top of album art if both are available.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 28, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #10,428 of 17,484
  Cool, but still covers doesn't work. They actually are worse IMO because they don't fit the screen well.

Album art was displayed nicely in 2.1
In 3.0 the same mistake has been made as in X5 2.0 except that the X5 implementation would work better on the X3 and vice versa.
Album art is normally square, so by using the full width to display on the X3's portrait screen, there is space to used for various infos without overwriting the album art. Currently it is using the full height, so the left and right edges are cut off and all the info is written over the album art - result a mess.
The X5 has a screen shape which does not lend itself so well to the display of album art as iy is slightly wider than tall, but a similar, but opposite mistake has been made there in displaying the full width, the top and bottom are cut off and everything is overwritten with info.

May 28, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #10,429 of 17,484
@JamesFiiO 

Amazing update! Highly appreciated that you put so much effort in your products. It will pay of many times. I just purchased my 7th Fiio product.

Many thanks,
K

May 28, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #10,430 of 17,484
Am I right in thinking that if you go 'backwards' from the Now Playing screen into the main menus then you have to negotiate from scratch to find the album again?

If so, I thought this was a massive flaw that needed addressing?

May 28, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #10,431 of 17,484
Am I right in thinking that if you go 'backwards' from the Now Playing screen into the main menus then you have to negotiate from scratch to find the album again?

If so, I thought this was a massive flaw that needed addressing?
It was and still is... but hey we have better DSD playback on a device that does not support OTG. :D

May 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #10,432 of 17,484
It was and still is...

Absolutely astonishing that this has not been fixed. People at Fiio must realise that it is a massive ballache to scroll right through again.

I only recently bought the X3 and have been assuming that this will be fixed in the much-vaunted FW3.0 I have been using a Sony NW-HD5 for nearly 10 years and the interface is very similar - that is to say I have no desire for bells and whistles, just something that is logical.

This is just really poor and probably just pushes a customer like me back towards Sony.

Bad Fiio, naughty Fiio.

May 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #10,433 of 17,484
I am a user who doesn't mind arranging his music files in as many or as few folders. I am also a user who only looks at my X3's screen to change folders or adjust the volume. I just saw an album art that I never paid attention to. It looks nice. Still, thank goodness the screen goes blank when I engage the hold button.

The biggest improvement as far as I am concerned after updating to this latest firmware, 3.0, is the improvement in the sound quality. Vivaldi's strings seem more alive, more airy and basically more engaging. Bach's organ sounds "deeper." For which, I take my hat off to the hard work Fiio's team has put into this upgrade.

Wishlist? Two.  An option to set and play the next folder and so forth. The other one is, an option to have the old list-type UI to go with the improved sound quality. I noticed some lag in this "animated" version. Not really that annoying, but not exactly pleasant coming from the relative quickness of the old UI.

Verdict? A very good job indeed. I was happy with my X3 before the upgrade and now I am a happier X3 owner.

Thank you.

May 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #10,435 of 17,484

Yup, all I have in play settings is bass, treble, balance. I thought I read it didn't work in previous beta anyway.

That is the original EQ on X3.

May 28, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #10,436 of 17,484

Yup, all I have in play settings is bass, treble, balance. I thought I read it didn't work in previous beta anyway.

That is the original EQ on X3.

Okay, but I don't think that was what he was referring to. I believe he was referring to the multi-band EQ with the assorted pre-sets that was part of the 2.14 beta.

Why was this not included in the final version of the firmware? Was it because it did not function with hi-res files, Joe?

May 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #10,437 of 17,484
Haven't had much luck with my unit, crashes atleast 2 or 3 times a day. Even when playing 320kbps mp3 files. Using it with Etymotic HF5, UE 700, Koss KSC75 and Sony MH1C on low gain setting. Gapless playback is disabled cause it causes the unit to crash. Resume mode will sometimes make it crash. Not sure if it's faulty hardware or the software causing this. It always happens when it wants to play the next song even with gapless playback is enabled. And yes I've tried 3.0, it's a bit more stable than the beta 2.14 but it still tends to crash.

May 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #10,438 of 17,484
   Okay, but I don't think that was what he was referring to. I believe he was referring to the multi-band EQ with the assorted pre-sets that was part of the 2.14 beta.

Why was this not included in the final version of the firmware? Was it because it did not function with hi-res files, Joe?

I can't speak for FiiO, but I can speak for myself with the experience of the EQ.
If the EQ was enabled, it would make the UI a whole lot slower during playback.
The EQ would also lower the volume by 10 levels when enabled, requiring another 10 levels to get it back to normal.

I did not have any issues with hi-res files with the EQ however.

Edit: +1 for FiiO!!!

I'm currently running my Q701's directly off the X3. Something that I'd thought I would never do again! Totally beats carrying around an ODAC/O2 for "portable" use.

May 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #10,439 of 17,484
Quote:
  I am a user who doesn't mind arranging his music files in as many or as few folders. I am also a user who only looks at my X3's screen to change folders or adjust the volume. I just saw an album art that I never paid attention to. It looks nice. Still, thank goodness the screen goes blank when I engage the hold button.

The biggest improvement as far as I am concerned after updating to this latest firmware, 3.0, is the improvement in the sound quality. Vivaldi's strings seem more alive, more airy and basically more engaging. Bach's organ sounds "deeper." For which, I take my hat off to the hard work Fiio's team has put into this upgrade.

Wishlist? Two.  An option to set and play the next folder and so forth. The other one is, an option to have the old list-type UI to go with the improved sound quality. I noticed some lag in this "animated" version. Not really that annoying, but not exactly pleasant coming from the relative quickness of the old UI.

Verdict? A very good job indeed. I was happy with my X3 before the upgrade and now I am a happier X3 owner.

Thank you.

Just curious to know if you are comparing the 3.0 sq to the old 2.1 or the 2.14b.   To my ears, the sq of 3.0 is much closer to that of 2.1.  I find the 2.14b to be more open, detailed and airy than 3.0.  More Hi-Fi, at least to me.

I wonder what others here feel about the 3.0 sq compared to 2.14b.   I am sure that the features and bug fixes are all great, and will please many X3 owners, however, for me, it's all about the sound.  So I plan to revert to 2.14b if I don't feel differently after further listening.  Happily, I didn't suffer from any instabilities in 2.14b.

I would be very interested to hear opinions on the sq, 3.0 v 2.14b.   Any thoughts?

May 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #10,440 of 17,484
  Quote:
Just curious to know if you are comparing the 3.0 sq to the old 2.1 or the 2.14b.   To my ears, the sq of 3.0 is much closer to that of 2.1.  I find the 2.14b to be more open, detailed and airy than 3.0.  More Hi-Fi, at least to me.

I wonder what others here feel about the 3.0 sq compared to 2.14b.   I am sure that the features and bug fixes are all great, and will please many X3 owners, however, for me, it's all about the sound.  So I plan to revert to 2.14b if I don't feel differently after further listening.  Happily, I didn't suffer from any instabilities in 2.14b.

I would be very interested to hear opinions on the sq, 3.0 v 2.14b.   Any thoughts?

I have the same feeling as you have. Actually the sound quality of 2.19b was the same as 2.14b and 2.19b is more stable...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back