The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #9,859 of 17,484
Ive now got my iphone 4s working with a belkin usb hub!and Spotify works!!
The only bad thing is that the cck connector ais a bad fit.
Bingo!!A Fiio and Apple collaboration
beerchug.gif

May 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #9,860 of 17,484
Don't regret it at all. X5 is more neutral and revealing. As @chengsta points out, the X5 does have less bass than the X3. BUT that doesn't mean the X5's bass is inferior. In fact, the X5 has cleaner, punchier, tighter bass - just not as much.

Well, I started the x5 on the wrong foot:  fw 2.0.  I should've listened to 1.23 first because I'm liking that alot more.  x5 fw 2.0 sounds a bit hollow, especially in the bass area while x5 fw 1.23 sounds exactly like the x3(fw 2.14b)  except wayy more crisp and detailed.

so basically x5 on fw 1.23 is a super detailed and slightly more clean sounding version of x3.  Now I can say for a fact that x5 is superior to x3 in every way, I firmly believe that I have found what I have been searching for in a portable dap in the x5.

May 6, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #9,861 of 17,484
I got a similar problem. I believe that it is related with the player freezing instead of turning off.

I found that playing shufle the x3 will freeze 60% of the time when a track finished, this occurs whether gapless is activated or not.  Sometimes I was under the impression that the auto-shutoff had been activated, instead the player was stuck.

Just make sure the player is really off. However, even if it is really off I believe that the battery drains over time faster than with 2.1 when turned off. However, I havent made any measurements in this regard, the battery indicator is not very precise. The x3 is missing a numerical value of the battery charge in the player info tab.

i thought I was the only one having these problem....gapless is not activated and when switching off ...i actually see the logo ( See You) to make sure it is properly off. Battery level is actually depleting too fast whereas before I used to get 4 to 5 days without charging but now it can only play like max 20 minute.

May 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #9,862 of 17,484
The assumption here seems to be OTG = DAC mode, actually that's incorrect and what causing a lot of confusion during discussion.

OTG  = ability to host USB stoage on the micro USB port.

DAC mode = ability to act as an USB DAC for an another {host) device.

They are not the same function. OTG depends on the coding inside X3 / X5 to recognize and read the USB storage connect to its micro USB port, while DAC mode depends on whatever the device you want to connect the X3 / X5 to can detect X3 / X5 as a USB DAC or not.

May 6, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #9,863 of 17,484
I have a cable that has one female USB port, and 2 male connection, on one of these, it can only send data, so no power, and even when i connect the X5 through this to my iPhone ( iphone 5 > camera connector > usb split data cable > usb to mini usb cable > X5 (sorry, no X3)
X5 goes into DAC mode for a moment, but then the iphone says it draws too much power (which is false, as it gets powered externally)

EDIT: i have done this in the past with the X3, and got the same result.

A fully conformant USB client informs the host how much power it will draw when it first connects. Adding a cable in won't affect that negotiation no matter how much power it supplies, whereas adding in a powered USB hub will affect it. This suggests to me that the X3 is "stating" it's power requirements too high for the iphone even if it isn't drawing any power. It isn't unusual for a device to give itself a lot of headroom by making this value higher than is strictly necessary. USB keyboards with hubs built-in, for example, will do this to allow for further devices to be plugged in, even though the keyboard itself doesn't require much.

May 7, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #9,864 of 17,484
Just installed the 2.14b and, man, does it work fast. There's an occasional hiccup or two, but overall everything is just lightning quick, especially after 2.05, it's like it reads my mind and plays the track before i even hit play. The sound is amazing too, i'm not exactly sure what's changed, but i'm finally getting a full kick out of my vsonics gr07. If they iron out the rest of the bugs, the release build will be just bliss for me.

May 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #9,865 of 17,484
  The assumption here seems to be OTG = DAC mode, actually that's incorrect and what causing a lot of confusion during discussion.

OTG  = ability to host USB stoage on the micro USB port.

DAC mode = ability to act as an USB DAC for an another {host) device.

They are not the same function. OTG depends on the coding inside X3 / X5 to recognize and read the USB storage connect to its micro USB port, while DAC mode depends on whatever the device you want to connect the X3 / X5 to can detect X3 / X5 as a USB DAC or not.

This wasnt the assumption,someone asked if they could use the x3 as a dac for there ios device so they could stream from there NAS in the same way you connect the Fiio e7,you can! but only if you connect via a usb hub which tricks the DAC and overides the power issue.
The X3 did not have any DAC capability when it was released, ability to decode from a PC and Mac were added in firmware version 2.05 via some clever hacks. I don't think any further hacks can be made to allow the X3 to decode from a smartphone OTG, though you are certainly welcome to try if it works with current firmware.
It can be used as a dac with android smartphone using otg cable and UAPP.

Although it would be great to have Fiio implement the OTG function in the x3,I cant see it!

May 7, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #9,866 of 17,484
2.1 works so good to me. Never got any freezes nor any kind of problems. Gapless is flawless :) I am very curious about the updated sound but will wait until stable version. Hey guys, tell me do you find any changes in the battery life in the betas?

May 7, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #9,867 of 17,484
For those x3 and dx50 owners, headphone out only, which now has the better sound to you?

May 7, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #9,869 of 17,484
  This wasnt the assumption...

If you read back, there is a lot of comment that intermix the term 'OTG' with USB DAC function. Just saying.

May 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #9,870 of 17,484
:xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back