The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #8,326 of 17,484
Question for James/Joe. Does Fiio have any plans for offering some of the same accessories from the X5 to X3 users?. I'd like to grab a TPU case if one was available. Even one of those silicone ones with the port plugs would be a nice option to have.
Cheers, looking forward to the new firmware...hope it's worth the wait
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #8,327 of 17,484
When trying to copy .m4a files from my pc to the x3, I get an error message asking if I want to copy these files without their properties. I think that this is because the x3 is formatted fat32 ( I have a 64 gb card). Is there a workaround for this?

thanks...

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #8,328 of 17,484
When trying to copy .m4a files from my pc to the x3, I get an error message asking if I want to copy these files without their properties. I think that this is because the x3 is formatted fat32 ( I have a 64 gb card). Is there a workaround for this?

thanks...

Correct, Its because there are "extraneous" properties that fat32 is not able to keep, like ratings, author etc - though all the pertinent id tagging we use stays ok in the file header. So its not deleting your painfully beautifully audio tags.

Normally from ntfs, hfs type to fat32 is the cause in my experience.

Have you tried copying from command prompt? But I don't know of a force copy option. :mad:

You cant turn off the warnings I believe, but perhaps Tera copy (free) will help. here

It will at least allow you to copy all the files it can then list the files it couldn't - so you don't have to sit there. :xf_eek:

[COLOR=FF00AA]EDIT > Actually I would recommend Tercopy to all who are copying audio files x3 fat32 formatting notwithstanding:)[/COLOR]

T.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #8,330 of 17,484
I recently extracted audio from an mkv using "Hybrid" on the mac. It came out as a flac file 16 bits 44.1kHz. Playback on vlc is fine but when i copy it onto the x3 the playback is slowed down many times, as in theres sound but the timer counts very slowly and its like playing in slow-mo.

Anyone know why its like that?

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #8,331 of 17,484
  I recently extracted audio from an mkv using "Hybrid" on the mac. It came out as a flac file 16 bits 44.1kHz. Playback on vlc is fine but when i copy it onto the x3 the playback is slowed down many times, as in theres sound but the timer counts very slowly and its like playing in slow-mo.

It probably has more than two channels.Make sure that you convert to stereo when exporting the audio if that is the case.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #8,334 of 17,484
  It seems to me that the high and low gain settings produce a slightly different sound once volume-matched. Can others confirm this, or is it just a matter of offering more driving power and I'm imagining it?

Definitely, I currently use mostly over-ear headphones with the X3 and no matter how hard to drive or sensitive these cans are they always sound better with the amp set to high gain. Bass has better structure, better layering and soundstage as well. That's at least how I hear it. The low gain setting always sounds a bit brighter but less engaging in comparison.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #8,335 of 17,484

have you got looked at the file info in vlc? (cmd i). have a look at the codec tab  > stream, it might be that hybrid is doing something weird to it?
Should only say 
Type: Audio
Codec: Flac
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate 44100 Hz
Bits per sample 16

Apologies in advance if you know this already:  I recon Hybrid is doing something weird (not knowing it save for its a QT based thang), as it sounds like a sample rate decoding  issue.  FLACS on my X3 have been the most stable format-  from a myriad of extraction apps. Someone more knowledgeable will help I am sure.

T

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #8,336 of 17,484
Definitely, I currently use mostly over-ear headphones with the X3 and no matter how hard to drive or sensitive these cans are they always sound better with the amp set to high gain. Bass has better structure, better layering and soundstage as well. That's at least how I hear it. The low gain setting always sounds a bit brighter but less engaging in comparison.

If one were to use a higher gain setting with a somewhat sensitive can, would it somehow be possible to change the max volume to a lower number? (I really like the max volume feature :)).

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #8,337 of 17,484
  It seems to me that the high and low gain settings produce a slightly different sound once volume-matched. Can others confirm this, or is it just a matter of offering more driving power and I'm imagining it?

Wow, and I haven't even tried high gain yet.

Sounds like I'm making a mistake using low gain with my S680, I will try high gain on my way home from work later.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #8,338 of 17,484
After compare high/low gain. I like to set X3 at high gain. I think that it has better separation between each note and instrument. I also feel that, when listen to the same song, at high gain set make me feel more fun.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #8,339 of 17,484
Same experience here.

Meanwhile, I am glad to have lurked around here long enough to realize that for the price, learning to "work with" its limitations makes X3 really enjoyable. Of course, like the other owners here, I also have my short wishlist. I got mine today :)

[size=x-small]I can keep on pulling my hair for what the X3 in its current [/size]incarnation[size=x-small] cannot do or need to do better, or appreciate the improved quality of my music.[/size]

[size=x-small]To James of Fiio, thank you for creating products that are relatively inexpensive, so music lovers without deep pocket can enjoy good music much better "_[/size]

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #8,340 of 17,484
Those who never tried out the free R3 with the X3 really missed out. On high gain, with treble +2 and bass -2, they sound sublime. It's a real shame that the design damned them to be the ugly duckling in the Brainwavz line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back