The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #8,131 of 17,483
Ha, I knew it lol

Did you order from MP4Nation?
Why you doing that?

I doubt the E11 will have any sort of positive effect on the sound.
Possibly, with future FW updates.

You might wanna post that in the bug/suggestions thread.

i feel adding the e11 to x3 gives a warmer detailed sound, am I wrong in my approach in this.

on another subject which is a better amp e11 or e12 which gives a warm detailed sound, I hate it when mids are so exaggerated and sharp it hurts my ears.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #8,132 of 17,483
i feel adding the e11 to x3 gives a warmer detailed sound, am I wrong in my approach in this.

on another subject which is a better amp e11 or e12 which gives a warm detailed sound, I hate it when mids are so exaggerated and sharp it hurts my ears.

If you're happy with the sound you're not wrong :wink:

That amp in the x3 is more powerful which could give better sound. Many people (including myself) find the x3 to sound better then the e11.

In the end it comes down to personal preference (as long as the amp can drive the phones).

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #8,134 of 17,483
I'm running a Win7 64 bit and the X3 (FW 2.1) does not even get recognized. The settings on the player are set to DAC. What am I doing wrong?

Did you reboot after installing the driversoftware?
Do you use a usb port on the front or back of your computer?
Do you use the USB cable that came with it?

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #8,136 of 17,483
1) It came preloaded with 2.1 when I bought it.
2) It's a laptop and I tried all ports.
3) Yes I did. 

1: the driver software is what you install on your computer, firmware is what you would install on the device.

The driver software can be found through the Fiio website: http://fiio.com.cn/support/download.aspx

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #8,138 of 17,483
1&2 Hardware EQ is fixed in hardware
smile.gif
although I don't know if there are any plans to port the X5's ten band EQ to the X3.
3&4. The update seems to be pushed back to March
redface.gif
Planned possible changes include mp3 decoding optimization and improvements to the media library database system. Now that the initial work of porting our system to the X5 has been completed, there should be little more delay and the promised concurrent upgrades to the X3 and X5 should start happening. Unfortunately Chinese New Year holidays are approaching so we will have to wait a little bit longer
redface.gif

First..... thanks for your kind and detailed reply 
second .. it is a good news to see those two important updates in the next firmware .... specially the mp3 decoding fix 
for me i don't care to a 5 or 10 bands software eq ... it is nice to have but i have dozens of eqs on my ipod touch ! .. i didn't buy this dap for equalizers
take your time and make that update worth waiting 
wink_face.gif
 till that time i will injoy my x3 
............HAPPY NEW CHINESE YEAR TO ALL CHINESE PEOPLE HERE ... SPECIALLY FIIO X MEN
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #8,139 of 17,483
1&2 Hardware EQ is fixed in hardware
smile.gif
although I don't know if there are any plans to port the X5's ten band EQ to the X3.
3&4. The update seems to be pushed back to March
redface.gif
Planned possible changes include mp3 decoding optimization and improvements to the media library database system. Now that the initial work of porting our system to the X5 has been completed, there should be little more delay and the promised concurrent upgrades to the X3 and X5 should start happening. Unfortunately Chinese New Year holidays are approaching so we will have to wait a little bit longer
redface.gif

You indicated previously that OGG playback problems, MP3 decoding, and media library improvements were all going to be in the next firmware update.  Please tell me the OGG fix is still going to be in the next update (you indicated that it was high priority).  I kept the player rather than returning it for that reason, and after speaking with FiiO customer service about the issue for several weeks.  90% of my music is in OGG.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #8,140 of 17,483
You indicated previously that OGG playback problems, MP3 decoding, and media library improvements were all going to be in the next firmware update.  Please tell me the OGG fix is still going to be in the next update (you indicated that it was high priority).  I kept the player rather than returning it for that reason, and after speaking with FiiO customer service about the issue for several weeks.  90% of my music is in OGG.

Yes, ogg vorbis decoding too :xf_eek: Yes, it is also high priority :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 23, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #8,141 of 17,483
Well, my X3 arrived from mp4nation today.
I have only had time to listen to 2 genres (Flac 16/44)
Joni Mitchell: Hijera
Hans Zimmer: Inception Soundtrack.
Both flat eq.
Gain Lo.
FW 2.1

64gig sandisc sdxc
Gapless ON ( and working in limited testing)

I only have my Monitoring headphones here - sen HD280 pro, but I know where I stand with them.

First impressions, warm but not muddily so. I enjoyed hearing some of the sheen on Joni's acoustic - around 5khz at a guess, and REALLY enjoyed the brass on inception (6-7khz).
Inception is pretty heavy on the lows, so I was extremely happy with how the X3 maintained instrumental separation and width here, especially given the prevallent frequency swamping <40hz.

Um.....not sure what else to say, except that I REALLY LIKE IT! :dt880smile:
I am extremely happy, a discreet band eq would be wonderfull yes, and I hope it will come in a future fw, but out of the box......bloody brilliant little thing

Very excited to hear some higher sampled symphonic works as well as a few mp3's.

Very nice it comes with screen protector already attached (and spares) - so simple, but a great touch, thanks Fiio.
Converted.

T.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #8,142 of 17,483
This may have been asked before but can you use the x3 as a dac and hook it up to an amp like the magni? If so what kind of cables would I need?

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #8,143 of 17,483
You'll need a 3.5mm - RCA to hook it up to the Magni. Use the line out from the X3 when its connected as a DAC to the Magni.

I used it like this to my iFi iCan, all I can say is the iDAC sounds much better but that is normal as it costs more than the X3 and is only a DAC+headphone amp, not a DAP. I am enjoying the X3 as a DAP, but it still has a bit of a warm tone to it, which pairs well with my Final Audio Design Heaven II, but not well with my Westone UM Pro30

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #8,145 of 17,483
This may have been asked before but can you use the x3 as a dac and hook it up to an amp like the magni? If so what kind of cables would I need?

I assume you mean a DAC for a computer? Aside from what was mentioned above you just need a USB to micro USB cable, the X3 package comes with a really good one. Oh and iinstall some drivers if you're using windows, you can download them from our website complete with instructions. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back