The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 11, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #7,801 of 17,484
  ..may be it does a grilled cheese sandwich...

Just to fan, ahem.. the flames we wouldn't want to draw attention to battery expansion caused by heat, charging etc and the possible impact on performance. No, no, no - not a good idea.

Grilled Cheese if grilled with the sandwich and cheese already in it is suggested to be grilled at 275F. If grilling just to melt the cheese, 200F is said to be fine.

Mobility CPU's in smartphones typically can reach up to 140F with no problems. 160F is more of a worry but also still no problems(some can even go to 200+F but not too often). The one in the X3 seems to be between 90 to 150F during the times it 'feels' hot.

Batteries are typically best kept under 125F (the heat generated from the surrounding area) to best prolong life.

Overall, the typical smartphone and or device with a full hardware set like the X3 will during prolonged high operation have such a temperature of 90F(32C) to 150F(65C) in terms of the heat of the highest heated component inside it(of which then heats the parts surrounding it).

With this, I, The GLORIOUS MOST AWESOME EVER PANDA TO EVER GRACE HEAD-FI, can conclude that scientifically, the X3, can not grill a cheese sandwich by itself under most normal to strenous operating situations. 

This is because the SoC in the X3 and even ones used in smartphones today generally do not sustainably operate within the 200+F degree range. And thus since it can not produce, sustainably, the minimum 200F of about 5-10mins for a grilled cheese sandwhich, and by the heat dissapation of the metal of the X3. That it can not make a grilled cheese sandwhich.

Next post will be my 500th post here? hmm 

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #7,805 of 17,484
Yeah, it has gotten hot before. And it is within normal device functionality. 

Most smartphones heat up to about the same degree. The specs of the X3 hardware wise to make it 'similar' to a smartphone in a sense that its not using whatever CPU SoC are in Sandisks and what not. So yeah, it does and will exhibit some of those infamous heatups that phones get as well.

For the most part, the device will not get to the stage of burning unless it was also indirectly or directly heated by another source.

I brought this down with me to Florida, and the sun can definaely increase the temperature if you expose the device to the suns rays. 

Thanks man. Now I'm assured that it's a normal occurrence and not limited to my particular set. :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #7,806 of 17,484
Spent some time today with the X3 on my Man Cave system. Sad to say I wasn't very happy. I was using the line out into my Millett that I am using as a pre, feeding into my  amps and that mid bass hump was very annoying. I can eq it out, but then any other source I hook up is out of whack.
This was only my first attempt as my usual preamp is in use by a friend right now, so I will reserve my opinion until I have tried the X3 with it.
I forgot how much output the X3 lineout has and it caught me off guard compared to my Clip Zip
basshead.gif

Rick

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #7,808 of 17,484
  I keep hearing people say that the reason some are having problems with songs showing up when going to "category" then to "album" or "artist" is because they aren't tagged properly.

Well, here is a picture of mp3tag of one of the albums that don't show up. BTW, nothing shows up. The "album" and "artist" does show the albums and artists, but then when I click on those, I get a blank screen.

Everything looks good to me. But maybe I'm missing something. Is it possible I am missing something else???!! Not in the tags?

Also, someone help me with this. When I pull out my SD card and then update the library, all my artists and albums still show up under "category". But the card is out??! There is no music on the internal memory.

It behaves the same no matter what firmware. I tried a different card, same thing. I put an album on the internal memory. Same thing.

I don't want to give up on this thing, it sounds great. But, damn!

Ok. No one wanted to comment on my question about songs not showing up under Category>Album and Category>Artist

But can someone answer why if I pull out my SD card, so there is no music on the player except the pre loaded album, then I update library artist all my music, albums and artists still show up even under "browse files". When you click on them it says "file not supported" because there is nothing there.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #7,809 of 17,484

Ok. No one wanted to comment on my question about songs not showing up under Category>Album and Category>Artist

But can someone answer why if I pull out my SD card, so there is no music on the player except the pre loaded album, then I update library artist all my music, albums and artists still show up even under "browse files". When you click on them it says "file not supported" because there is nothing there.

I think it's because the information gets saved to a database file. That's why some folks recommend deleting the database file and then doing a manual update if you're having file problems.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #7,812 of 17,484
Anybody brave/crazy enough to take a flyer on one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/MICRODIA-microSDXC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89-Class6-128GB-25112/dp/B00HA2U6JQ/ref=pd_cp_computers_0
http://www.microdia.com/ebiz/jsp/site/product_details.jsp?ccode=000003100011100&pcode=301

Class 6 should be fast enough for flac (not sure bout hi-res), but amazon.jp also has class 10 listed as well.
If you click the specification tab on the microdia link they do have 128gb listed so it might be legit. Unfortunately by the time I get it to Canada shipping and taxes would drive the price high enough that I wouldn't want to risk it.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #7,813 of 17,484
Hello all. I just got the X3 to replace NWZ-E465 Sony Walkman 16GB NWZ-E465. It's been a great little player but it's inability to pay lossless and not having enough space for all .wav means it was time to go.
So far the X3 sounds amazing with flac files I got from hdtracks.com. However this thing sounds just good awful when playing mp3 tracks.
Tried line out and headphone in my car. Line out is so distorted that it's unusable. Headphone jack sounds better but there is still distortion on loud parts like I'm somehow over driving the amp on the device.

This was purchased as a lossless and everything else player. Not very useful if all it can do is lossless.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #7,815 of 17,484

Users who are viewing this thread

Back