The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #7,636 of 17,484

I've had the X3 for just over 2 weeks now, and using the thing gets more frustrating every day. Not once have I used the device that it did not lock up (buttons unresponsive), freeze up completely (stop playing and become unresponsive) skip halfway through a track, or exhibit some other bad behavior.

FiiO support has been quick to respond to my request for help, but the replies I have received make all the same suggestions that get posted here: delete the database - turn off features (like gapless playback) etc. I've done these things and yet the performance of the device does NOT improve one bit. I regret buying this player, and as such, I have purchased an AK100 instead (should arrive today). Although I have read that the Astell & Kern device isn't perfect either, I don't see the abundance of comments about it behaving badly/erratically that I see about the FiiO device.

I can't help but wonder if I got a bad piece of hardware, but FiiO seems to be insisting that the problems are all about the firmware, and that the issues can be addressed through the software. I'm not convinced, since the proposed "fixes" haven't helped one bit. This is a DAP for people who like to fiddle, fuss and hack at things - not for someone (like me) who just wants to use the thing and not have to troubleshoot every time I use it.

Really sounds like a firmware issue to be honest. Nothing to do with hardware.

Have you tried totally wiping and installing new firmware from scratch??

Btw, I'm wondering why you didint want to try the Basso DX50 instead of the AK?

Ah, yeah... that's kind of what I was implying. They are more familiar with FAUX than Fiio :wink:

Yeah, at least they managed to say that alright lol

Well, in any case (no pun intended) it is over $22 in the US which still seems high to me. I think it will drop as time goes on and they do more distribution for X3 cases in North America.

I don't think that's too bad to be honest. Still cheaper than the crappier FiiO official case.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #7,637 of 17,484
Really sounds like a firmware issue to be honest. Nothing to do with hardware.

Have you tried totally wiping and installing new firmware from scratch??

Btw, I'm wondering why you didint want to try the Basso DX50 instead of the AK?

I've installed the firmware three times now. How many times does one need to do that before it's correct? FiiO support emailed me last night and said this about FW 2.1:
"the current firmware(FW 2.1) is not stable enough at present"
which suggests to me that improved performance isn't exactly on the near horizon. I'm sorry -- I'm really trying to get my head around this device and get settled in to simply enjoying its outstanding SQ, but the obstacles it throws in my way every time I pick it up are proving to be far too challenging for someone who just wants a plug-and-play DAP.

Why didn't I choose the DX50? Because of reviews like this: http://www.audio360.org/daps_a0013_review_ibasso_dx50.php Also, because it's not easy to actually find a distributor.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #7,640 of 17,484
Hi all, I just received my Fiio X3 from Amazon yesterday. Despite a few struggles getting setup, I did manage to get it working yesterday. So far so good.

My USB port on my laptop caused some errors on the internal memory of the X3. I moved all the files to external storage. I ran scan disk and repaired the errors. My question is this. Will I damage the Fiio X3 if I do a reformat of the internal memory?

Thanks !

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #7,641 of 17,484
  Hi all, I just received my Fiio X3 from Amazon yesterday. Despite a few struggles getting setup, I did manage to get it working yesterday. So far so good.

My USB port on my laptop caused some errors on the internal memory of the X3. I moved all the files to external storage. I ran scan disk and repaired the errors. My question is this. Will I damage the Fiio X3 if I do a reformat of the internal memory?

Thanks !

Maybe try this?

http://www.fiio.com.cn/support/detail.aspx?ID=100000037065714

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #7,644 of 17,484
  Why release firmware that is not stable? Must have some improvements. They should call it 'beta' like Oppo does, until they have a stable change, with a note of caution.

A lot of what people perceive to be stable or not with the X3 hinges on the X3's VERY sporadic and random support for the files they have on the X3.

If you have too many files in too many folders on a level or in some sporadic way, the firmware tends to be much much less stable than if you were to say have 20 songs on the entire device.

I've had problems with FW's that nobody else have had problems with and so on and so forth.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #7,645 of 17,484
Unfortunately, you can't really tell what changes they make from time to time, if they don't document it. This is not unusual among many mfrs.
Unless there is a change that you think will really be a benefit, maybe it's best to always be one rev behind until they stop making changes.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #7,646 of 17,484
  Unfortunately, you can't really tell what changes they make from time to time, if they don't document it. This is not unusual among many mfrs.
Unless there is a change that you think will really be a benefit, maybe it's best to always be one rev behind until they stop making changes.

They 'document' it with change logs but it is hard to go back and find those changes

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #7,647 of 17,484
  A lot of what people perceive to be stable or not with the X3 hinges on the X3's VERY sporadic and random support for the files they have on the X3.

If you have too many files in too many folders on a level or in some sporadic way, the firmware tends to be much much less stable than if you were to say have 20 songs on the entire device.

I've had problems with FW's that nobody else have had problems with and so on and so forth.

What you have described is a FW that's...not very stable.
bigsmile_face.gif

The current FW (2.1) has its quirks and there are varous ways to make it crash without too much effort. Fiio is aware of this and will try to iron out the kinks and implement even more features in the future and I commend them for that. As it stands the X3 is still a bit 'beta' though, sorry to say.
This also includes issues with quite basic functions like OGG and MP3 decoding. Since the X3 seems to sell well Fiio better step up their game with the next FW update.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #7,648 of 17,484
They 'document' it with change logs but it is hard to go back and find those changes
Then someone with "FiiO" influence should request the change logs and dropox them with a sticky for all to read maybe a X3 firmware thread? :D

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #7,650 of 17,484

What you have described is a FW that's...not very stable.
bigsmile_face.gif

The current FW (2.1) has its quirks and there are varous ways to make it crash without too much effort. Fiio is aware of this and will try to iron out the kinks and implement even more features in the future and I commend them for that. As it stands the X3 is still a bit 'beta' though, sorry to say.
This also includes issues with quite basic functions like OGG and MP3 decoding. Since the X3 seems to sell well Fiio better step up their game with the next FW update.

Well of course, they aren't stable in that fashion sadly

But I did say the 'perception of stability'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back