The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #7,668 of 17,484
...just a thought. Lockups. Do they happen on internal memory or SD card or both? If only SD card does it happen on all (different) SD cards or just the one? In other words is it a Fiio problem or external SD card problem? I doubt the processing power of the X3 resembles the processing power of a Gubnant home defence security server so its going to chug through GBs slower than an overfed Chihuahua squeezing through a pipe. I await this challenge with relish.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #7,669 of 17,484
Well I have to report on first connection to the PC USB 2 port, Fiona Fiio (yes, I've named it) went into a right hissy fit and was doing frightful display things and making the PC do disgraceful USB connection noises over and over.

Can't be having that.

Wrenched it off, gave Fiona a damned good telling off and no, no sodding disc check procedure for you, slapped its brushed metal backside and prepared to add some very obscure Swedish harp and nyckelharpa .flac files which EAC didn''t recognise. I why should it? Amazon only had one copy.

Just gotta be damn firm sometimes and not put up with prissy prima donna behaviour.

Don't slap Fiona backside too hard....it might go frigid ....especially the first time.

Me X3 ...ahem "Chuck" don't take too kindly on your treatment toward Fiona....

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #7,670 of 17,484
...just a thought. Lockups. Do they happen on internal memory or SD card or both? If only SD card does it happen on all (different) SD cards or just the one? In other words is it a Fiio problem or external SD card problem? I doubt the processing power of the X3 resembles the processing power of a Gubnant home defence security server so its going to chug through GBs slower than an overfed Chihuahua squeezing through a pipe. I await this challenge with relish.

You have to factor in the SD formal specification, and the card spec along with the device's own.

Your SD card, for the most part, no matter the Class will have slower 'burst' read rates. Sequential and long file size reads are what are used by companies as those typically give much much better numbers. Factor in the device caching and how long it takes for the file to then get back to the device as it had to burst the data through for a quick second, and that is what causes the hold up.

Obviously, faster devices with faster processing and circuits with more efficent and direct paths will allow for the 'lockup' to be rectified if not shorted in perceived time.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #7,671 of 17,484
Yeh,yeh firmware, schwirmware shipped with 1.3, and no micro SD card in Yeknod Villas and I ain't paying Amazon for expedited delivery, for gawds sake Fiona pony up and just make a special effort, Muse and then Gorillaz coming down

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #7,672 of 17,484
Yeh,yeh firmware, schwirmware shipped with 1.3, and no micro SD card in Yeknod Villas and I ain't paying Amazon for expedited delivery, for gawds sake Fiona pony up and just make a special effort, Muse and then Gorillaz coming down
Get some free Amazong Prime Trial my man

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #7,673 of 17,484
That ain't fun..delay gratification and wait for a mini Christmas.

re: SD card class and performance, I'd include hooky copies off Fleabay painted up to look like gold-plated Sandisk extra-special dudes. Bet the X3 is real picky about such things?

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #7,675 of 17,484
That ain't fun..delay gratification and wait for a mini Christmas.

re: SD card class and performance, I'd include hooky copies off Fleabay painted up to look like gold-plated Sandisk extra-special dudes. Bet the X3 is real picky about such things?
X3 isn't too picky about the cards. It just needs to be micro SD following formal mSD specification. It needs FAT32 formating, and it needs to actually be inserted into the X3. The card should be inserted so it appears to be 'upside' down. Or 'if it doesn't go in' turn it around.

The card also should have music on it in formats such as .mp3, .flac, .m4a etc so that the X3 can then proceed to play music on it.

Please note that while hooky files off Fleabay will still work as they are still audio files. That gold painting the mSD card without proper certification could leave you with a mess. If you choose to do so. Make sure to use non toxic paints and ones that have a wide temperature tolerance, doesn't need primer, and doesn't liquify or drop in cooler. Also make sure that the contact prongs on the mSD card needs to be completely untouched and clean.

You can make your cards look like Sandisk special ones, but they will not gain those performances of those cards.

Again, please make sure to actually insert the mSD card into the device with safe paint practices, and with the prongs clean. The X3 is not capable of wirelessly getting data off an unplugged mSD card at this moment(or any).

If you wish FiiO to add such a feature. I will direct you to contact them at their email. Winner's will be contacted and sent into a battle royale where the winner gets his or her idea featured.

Have a nice day.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #7,676 of 17,484
Dear Fiio Support

Many thanks for the advice, you are too kind.

I took several hours following the instructions but me card don't fit!! No matter how hard I try the port won't take it and the long side is just too large.

Please fix or sumfink in next fw release? I tried putting the flac files on moistened tissue paper and shoved them down the SD card hole but they dont work either! What a joke, its 2014 and the flac files don't play in this way!! My Sansa clip does much better for the fraction of a price

Will duct taping it to the port help?

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #7,678 of 17,484
Dear Fiio Support

Many thanks for the advice, you are too kind.

I took several hours following the instructions but me card don't fit!! No matter how hard I try the port won't take it and the long side is just too large.

Please fix or sumfink in next fw release? I tried putting the flac files on moistened tissue paper and shoved them down the SD card hole but they dont work either! What a joke, its 2014 and the flac files don't play in this way!! My Sansa clip does much better for the fraction of a price

Will duct taping it to the port help?

Generally, the long side has to be flipped so that its a shorter side. And then inserted according to the little pic below the slot.

The tissue paper is not compatible with the FiiO X3 as of this moment. The chemically polar effects of moistened paper is also not recommended for X3 internal usage. I recommend putting flac files on a formal mSD card and inserting as I said above.

I do not believe any fw update can make the X3 support tissue paper, but you can ask FiiO.

The only time I would use paper of any kind near the X3 or in its ports is to clean it. Please use the paper in that fashion.

As of this moment, duct tape does not have the capability of transmitting data natively. However it may be feasible and possible with certain kinds of metal laced duct tape. If you are able to get your hands on one. It is theoreticlaly possible to duct tape the card to the X3. You would need to first duct tape the card so that the mSD prongs are in contact with individual strands of the metal in the tape. Each metal strand of the duct tape then needs to be attached to the specific internal prong on the X3's own mSD slot. The mSD should then be securely fastened below the duct tape somewhere nearby. The distance also shouldn't be too much as a longer distance may mean problems with incompatability.

You can try that, but otherwise, as of this moment. Duct Tape is not natively compatable with the X3, nor the X3 with it.

If you are still experiencing problems with the FiiO X3, please contact FiiO through the means below.

http://fiio.net/support/contact.aspx

Tel: +86-20-62679040 +86-20-62859991
Fax: +86-20-62679042
E-mail: market@fiio.com.cn
Address: 2/F, F Building, Hougang Industrial Zone, Shigang Village, Huangshi West Road, Baiyun District,
Guangzhou City, China.
Postcode: 510430

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #7,680 of 17,484

Really sounds like a firmware issue to be honest. Nothing to do with hardware.

Have you tried totally wiping and installing new firmware from scratch??

Hi Lifted,
So this afternoon, after more troubled playback, I did the "please just delete the pop up database file named "usrlocal_media.db "." process as recommended by FiiO support, and - as instructed - told the device to rebuild its library file. Well, guess what? Its been working on that process for 45 minutes now and still churning. Surely this isn't normal behavior??! Do the other X3 owners have to do this kind of maintenance on their players, or have I really got a bad device?!

Update: it's been over an hour since I started the X3 working on the library update.....no sign of completion yet. What?

OK, seventy minutes and still going :frowning2:

Eighty-five minutes and still working on the lib rebuild....

That is not normal, at the most 30 sec. is normal according to fiio support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back