The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #12,857 of 17,484
I did some listening and comparing these days. Maybe unimportant since sound is a matter of taste and combinations of hardware. But for us who like to dig..

I use the x3 as an audio player and also as usb dac connected thru coax to a Tentlabs, Apogee and Arcam DAC. 

I found out that the digital coax output puts out different digital signal in the various firmware versions. The sound of the same wav played on the x3 is being changed in the digital domain.

The only firmware where it the same or close to the "straight" wav is firmware 2.14b.

Starting on fw 3.. something drastic happend. Maybe due to the introduction of the new codec 44.1 files sound somewhat resampled and have less resolution. I have a strong feeling 3.00Ex is the same base has just some eq added. And so is 3.2, just a little more. 

This also explains why the line out sounds different in the various firmware versions. I checked this and in comparison to the other dac's 2.14b sounds the closest.

It seems to me the 2.14 sounds the most hifi.

And i dig it a lot!

Excuses for the bold statement.

EDIT

I recorded the signal of the digital out and it appears to be exactly the same. 
I'v been in placebo hell i guess.
Sorry about that.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #12,858 of 17,484
  I did some listening and comparing these days. Maybe unimportant since sound is a matter of taste and combinations of hardware. But for us who like to dig..

I use the x3 as an audio player and also as usb dac connected thru coax to a Tentlabs, Apogee and Arcam DAC. 

I found out that the digital coax output puts out different digital signal in the various firmware versions. The sound of the same wav played on the x3 is being changed in the digital domain.

The only firmware where it the same or close to the "straight" wav is firmware 2.14b.

Starting on fw 3.. something drastic happend. Maybe due to the introduction of the new codec 44.1 files sound somewhat resampled and have less resolution. I have a strong feeling 3.00Ex is the same base has just some eq added. And so is 3.2, just a little more. 

This also explains why the line out sounds different in the various firmware versions. I checked this and in comparison to the other dac's 2.14b sounds the closest.

It seems to me the 2.14 sounds the most hifi.

And i dig it a lot!

Excuses for the bold statement.

Have you tried to record the SPDIF output and compare with original wav in Audio DiffMaker?
Last time I've checked (FW 2.10 I think) the SPDIF output was bitperfect.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #12,859 of 17,484
Is there a way to play the fiio x3 through a av reciever using optical cord, because the x3 has a coaxial out
does that mean i can use this in the end of the coaxial adapter and it should output the sound through my 5.1 system?

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #12,860 of 17,484
  Is there a way to play the fiio x3 through a av reciever using optical cord, because the x3 has a coaxial out
does that mean i can use this in the end of the coaxial adapter and it should output the sound through my 5.1 system?

No.

S/PDIF comes in two format: Coaxial relies on electric signal. Optical (TOSLink) relies on, well, light of course. Having one does not mean having the other - and X3 only has coax-out.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #12,861 of 17,484
Either get an adaptor like this one from monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2) or get a Astell & Kern

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #12,862 of 17,484
Either get an adaptor like this one from monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2)

Alright then thanks for the help, I might just buy a coaxial cable, all the av recievers have one of them aswell :p

or get a Astell & Kern

Just looked it up... got a bit of a fright 1k is a bit much for me :p

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #12,864 of 17,484
I have tried my X3 with the coaxial out going to the FiiO D03K. It only sounds a little bit better that the line out. maybe because it is a cheap DAC.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter-Optical-black/dp/B0068IPE40/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410761725&sr=8-2&keywords=fiio+d03k

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #12,865 of 17,484

Have you tried to record the SPDIF output and compare with original wav in Audio DiffMaker?
Last time I've checked (FW 2.10 I think) the SPDIF output was bitperfect.

Not yet, at home i have no coax spdif in or out on computers, one of the reasons i use the x3 like this. But i will look into it.
Right now i listened to 2.1 spdif and that sounds right now the same to me as 2.14b. With morning-ears.
Hm. It needs some more testing.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #12,866 of 17,484
Hey guys, I am interested in purchasing a x3 but am wondering how you guys manage your playlists. Right now I am coming for an iPod which has a pretty friendly interface with easy to manage playlists. How do you guys do and did any of you like me come from an iPod? How was the change?

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #12,867 of 17,484
Hey guys, I am interested in purchasing a x3 but am wondering how you guys manage your playlists. Right now I am coming for an iPod which has a pretty friendly interface with easy to manage playlists. How do you guys do and did any of you like me come from an iPod? How was the change?
The X3 does not have full playlist support yet, you can however use the "Favorite" tag and use that like a playlist.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #12,868 of 17,484
The X3 does not have full playlist support yet, you can however use the "Favorite" tag and use that like a playlist.

Is there playlist support coming out in the future?
With making a 'playlist' with the folders if you drop a song in there will it appear on the all songs list? And can you control the order of it (folder playlist)?

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #12,869 of 17,484
Is there playlist support coming out in the future?
With making a 'playlist' with the folders if you drop a song in there will it appear on the all songs list? And can you control the order of it (folder playlist)?
You can play files from induvidual folders, so yes you can sort your music that way. Though it will still show up as usual in the library browser. Playlists are in the works, as far as i know.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #12,870 of 17,484
You can play files from induvidual folders, so yes you can sort your music that way. Though it will still show up as usual in the library browser. Playlists are in the works, as far as i know.

Thanks! One last question how is the scrolling? Would I have to press the down button 100 times to find a song somewhere at the bottom of the songs or is there a shortcut/ press and hold and if so how good/bad is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back