The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 15, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #12,871 of 17,484
  Not yet, at home i have no coax spdif in or out on computers, one of the reasons i use the x3 like this. But i will look into it.
Right now i listened to 2.1 spdif and that sounds right now the same to me as 2.14b. With morning-ears.
Hm. It needs some more testing.

When I find some spare time, I'll repeat the test with FW 3.0.
It would be very unfortunate if the SPDIF out is not bitperfect any more ...

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #12,873 of 17,484
Thanks! One last question how is the scrolling? Would I have to press the down button 100 times to find a song somewhere at the bottom of the songs or is there a shortcut/ press and hold and if so how good/bad is it?

Here you go. This shows: Boot time, scrolling, DSD playback, playback with and without album art and some more.

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #12,874 of 17,484
How much difference would this make if you don't listen to flac.
My complete library is made of mp3 @320kbs.
I currently use a Lg optimus G for music with E6 Amp.

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #12,875 of 17,484
How much difference would this make if you don't listen to flac.
My complete library is made of mp3 @320kbs.
I currently use a Lg optimus G for music with E6 Amp.

I suppose you'll have less interference, can fit more music on the device, and have better battery life.

Sound quality wise, i can't tell if it'll be better, but i'm quite confident in saying that it will be...most phones have a poor amp section.

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #12,876 of 17,484
I suppose you'll have less interference, can fit more music on the device, and have better battery life.

Sound quality wise, i can't tell if it'll be better, but i'm quite confident in saying that it will be...most phones have a poor amp section.
In what regard do you mean most phones have a poor amp section? Curiousity.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #12,877 of 17,484
In what regard do you mean most phones have a poor amp section? Curiousity.

A phone doesn't have the space for a high fidelity audio section, and it's a niche market, so they'll have a considerably cheap opamp and other audio parts.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #12,878 of 17,484
Is there playlist support coming out in the future?
With making a 'playlist' with the folders if you drop a song in there will it appear on the all songs list? And can you control the order of it (folder playlist)?

I do the "folder as playlist" method myself. To control the order of the songs/tracks within the playlist, you'll need to put 01, 02, 03... in front of the file name of the file itself (not the track name in iTunes).

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #12,879 of 17,484

I do the "folder as playlist" method myself. To control the order of the songs/tracks within the playlist, you'll need to put 01, 02, 03... in front of the file name of the file itself (not the track name in iTunes).

The big problem with this method is that if you also want to have the full Albums that contain those tracks or want some of the songs in multiple playlists then you end up with a lot of duplicate data taking of valuable space.  

Lack of Playlist support is really the only major shortcoming of this X3.  

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #12,880 of 17,484

Have you tried to record the SPDIF output and compare with original wav in Audio DiffMaker?
Last time I've checked (FW 2.10 I think) the SPDIF output was bitperfect.

I did the test, the digital out signal of 2.14b and 3.0 are exactly the same..I guess i ve been caught in the placebo trap.
So far my credibility. But i m happy that it is this way.

redface.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #12,882 of 17,484
I would imagine that measured at the digital output level the units will always measure the same. With the exception of jitter, what could really change?

To me, the real question is what happens once the digital output is converted to analog and then amplified to either the line out level or the headphone output? Does that piece of the puzzle change over time or is it also static? For most of us, that is what matters not what happens at the digital out.

I suspect that most of time the DAC and digital output capabilities are not used by most of us.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #12,884 of 17,484
I would imagine that measured at the digital output level the units will always measure the same. With the exception of jitter, what could really change?

Some DSP, resampling etc.

For instance my receiver outputs bitperfect digital signal only if switched tu "pure direct", in "straight" mode the output is not bitperfect - even when it sounds the same.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #12,885 of 17,484
  Off topic from the X3, but has anyone tried a Schiit Loki for DSD playback?  I was having a hard time finding a cheap SACD player, and I realized I could rip my SACDs and play them back with Audirvana ---> Loki, which has a bypass for a PCM DAC.  Very inexpensive solution.

(I was replying to Pituky but realized his question had already been answered!)

The loki works fine.  But keep in mind that you need a hacked PS3 to rip SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back