The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 31, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #12,511 of 17,484
I would say that they probably are not legit.  If they tu
  I took a shot and grabbed one.. Worst comes to worst, I'll rwnt the dudes eBay and Paypal accounts if he tries to **** me.

I've been gone a while. 3.2 sounds nice. 

I don't think they are legit. If they are truly a fake after you open it, I would go right to paypal and indicate fraud.  I would think they would get you your money back. I'm not sure how this will work since the seller is in China and maybe part of the scam is a quick shut down of the account since it will take a few weeks before you get the card after they get paid.

In case you didn't realize the best way to check them out:

http://fightflashfraud.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/h2testw-gold-standard-in-detecting-fake-capacity-flash/

Amazon had them cheap this weekend. I think the lowest I saw was $96. Others saw them cheaper. I was going to hop on but decided not to.  I still have about 8gb left on my 64gb and all of the internal memory so I thought I would hold off.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #12,512 of 17,484

This is the EQ menu for the FiiO X3, I found it in the litegui theme for the 3.0 firmware. FiiO possibly was thinking about implementing it, I don't know; but the fact that it's there doesn't change. The problems with using the EQ is that it lagged the entire system when active, I was hoping for that sliver of hope that the EQ would work one day without problems. 

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #12,513 of 17,484

This is the EQ menu for the FiiO X3, I found it in the litegui theme for the 3.0 firmware. FiiO possibly was thinking about implementing it, I don't know; but the fact that it's there doesn't change. The problems with using the EQ is that it lagged the entire system when active, I was hoping for that sliver of hope that the EQ would work one day without problems. 

Yes, it was in the 2.14beta fimware, which was the first implementation of the X5 FW on the X3. I guess the X3's processor couldn't handle it, which was why it didn't make it into the 3.0 release version.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #12,516 of 17,484
  The X5’s EQ is actually implemented in a way as it should, it's people misunderstanding what an equaliser ís, that's in the wrong here. when activating the EQ, it lowers the soundlevel on all frequencies by 6dB, because you'd get clipping if you would be able to just raise a frequency by 6dB.

you have 12dB volume difference between highest and lowest level. Highest level(+6dB) is (close to) the normal, EQ-less level.

This is a software equaliser, unlike the X3's, which, if i recall correctly, has a bass/treble boost/reducer on hardware level.

I have read the explanation for the 6 db drop many times and I have to tell you that I think that it's silly. If the X5 was the very first device to implement EQ maybe you would get me. But it most certainly is not. Name one more device that when you use the tone controls it drops the relative volume by the amount of boost that is possible. Here's my thinking, at low volume when I am nowhere near clipping I could desire a 6 db boost in some frequency and I would still not be in danger of clipping. Granted, if I was pushing the amplifier hard I could drive it to clipping with the EQ. But only if I am driving it hard. If I am intending to use the tone controls to adjust low volume listening levels as in a "loudness" control I am in no danger of clipping.

Think of the all receivers and preamps released over the years with five band (or more) eq. Name one that when you enable the eq it drops the relative volume just by enabling the eq. You won't be able to. I totally get what Fiio is saying and I totally get the theory, it's just not useful unless you are pushing the amp hard. If they did not do the 6 db drop I doubt people would be as unhappy as they are and I doubt the amp would immediately go to clipping even if the pushed the bass up 6 db at anything less than 50% relative volume.

(and yes I know that all you have to do is turn it up a little more to undo the 6 db drop, I get it, I really do)

I have to say bah on this implementation. I do say bah and never use the "tone controls" on my X5. Thankfully I enjoy it a great deal regardless.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #12,517 of 17,484

The X5’s EQ is actually implemented in a way as it should, it's people misunderstanding what an equaliser ís, that's in the wrong here. when activating the EQ, it lowers the soundlevel on all frequencies by 6dB, because you'd get clipping if you would be able to just raise a frequency by 6dB.

you have 12dB volume difference between highest and lowest level. Highest level(+6dB) is (close to) the normal, EQ-less level.

This is a software equaliser, unlike the X3's, which, if i recall correctly, has a bass/treble boost/reducer on hardware level.

I have read the explanation for the 6 db drop many times and I have to tell you that I think that it's silly. If the X5 was the very first device to implement EQ maybe you would get me. But it most certainly is not. Name one more device that when you use the tone controls it drops the relative volume by the amount of boost that is possible. Here's my thinking, at low volume when I am nowhere near clipping I could desire a 6 db boost in some frequency and I would still not be in danger of clipping. Granted, if I was pushing the amplifier hard I could drive it to clipping with the EQ. But only if I am driving it hard. If I am intending to use the tone controls to adjust low volume listening levels as in a "loudness" control I am in no danger of clipping.

Think of the all receivers and preamps released over the years with five band (or more) eq. Name one that when you enable the eq it drops the relative volume just by enabling the eq. You won't be able to. I totally get what Fiio is saying and I totally get the theory, it's just not useful unless you are pushing the amp hard. If they did not do the 6 db drop I doubt people would be as unhappy as they are and I doubt the amp would immediately go to clipping even if the pushed the bass up 6 db at anything less than 50% relative volume.

(and yes I know that all you have to do is turn it up a little more to undo the 6 db drop, I get it, I really do)

I have to say bah on this implementation. I do say bah and never use the "tone controls" on my X5. Thankfully I enjoy it a great deal regardless.

I have predominantly hi-rez tracks on my micro SD cards so I never use the EQ on my X5 either and even on the few 16/44.1 files I do have I I find the EQ on the X5 to be less than transparent so I prefer to listen to these files without any EQ either.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #12,518 of 17,484

The only "mistake" FiiO made, was not shifting either the normal volume 6db lower (when EQ is off) or showing all the switches at +6 DB in the equaliser.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #12,520 of 17,484

Quote:

I think that the X3 boosts the bass very nicely. lots of other devices mess it up but the x3 doesn't. I would maybe like it to boost the lower bass though. I seems to boost the mid bass more that the lower frequencies.

from this thread :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663600/impression-fiio-x3-high-fi-low-price

i really love the eq on the x3, not only the way its implemented but that its not something i try to avoid if possible like on most other device

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #12,521 of 17,484
EQ isn't for "low-rez" tracks though...

Equalising has more to do with your audio end-device (headphones/speakers) than with what files you use. It changes the way the music sounds, indifferent of resolution.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #12,523 of 17,484
When speaking of the X5 specifically, the EQ only works or is active only with files that are a resolution of 16/44.1 or lower. The EQ is inactive and not usable for files of a resolution above 16/44.1, this is what I was referring to. By hi-rez I was referring to any file with a resolution above 16/44.1.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #12,524 of 17,484
  When speaking of the X5 specifically, the EQ only works or is active only with files that are a resolution of 16/44.1 or lower. The EQ is inactive and not usable for files of a resolution above 16/44.1, this is what I was referring to. By hi-rez I was referring to any file with a resolution above 16/44.1.

Oh...? I did not know that, interesting.

My apologies, I thought that you had been using EQ to "compensate" for the "lost" resolution.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #12,525 of 17,484

Correction:

EQ can be used for files 24bit/48kHz and lower. The limitation is for sample rates over 48kHz and not bit depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back