The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #12,481 of 17,484
Only time will tell, unless you're a time traveler, then you should already know the answer and damn you for keeping us in suspense you sadistic person who should burn in a fiery hell of torment and my little pony!

I might need a beer....

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #12,482 of 17,484
  Has anyone dropped their X3 from about waist high or maybe a little lower? I'm thinking about buying one but I've read that the construction in not all that great.

Bought mine last November.  Had it only 3 days when it slipped from my hands (holding many things above waist height) and flew through the open door to the basement.  It bounced off a wooden step halfway down, causing it to spin rapidly into the concrete basement floor.  I was in shock, thinking I'd just destroyed my new X3.  It had the silicon case on it.  Not a mark, has worked perfectly ever since.  I've had one lockup in all that time due to unplugging the USB cable before unmounting (or power off), and one other I think was due to the audio cable not being fully inserted.  Or maybe the USB cable came loose during DAC use (only used that a couple times)  Only the first required a hard reset.  I've stuck with V2.1 (downloaded it immediately upon receipt) the whole time.

I think you can consider construction quality a non-issue.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #12,483 of 17,484
  Does anybody know if it is best to have a bit of space free on the X3's built in memory? I got my micro SD card full so I had to start moving stuff over and I only have about 250mb remaining on the built in storage now. I now have about 7.5gb free again on my card which is a good thing. I'm just not sure if it is best to leave more space that I have on the internal memory.

I have 1.95Mb free in internal storage and 75.8Mb free on the 64Gb card.  No problems.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #12,485 of 17,484

First, we known that X3 firmware is now based on X5 firmware, i.e. X3 v3 is based on X5's v2 coding. Now we also know that X5's latest v2.2 was released just a bit over 2 weeks ago. If you were to consider the time it needed to load the firmware to X3, tested, packed and shipped out to retailer, I'll assume there is a very high chance the so called v3.2 was load onto the new batch of X3 even before X5's v2.2 was released - that means it is likely that the X3 v3.2 in not based on the latest X5 v2.2, which goes against what we have known. That's why I think it is likely a typo.

If you read earlier in this thread you would see that I posted an email response from Fiio customer service saying that the newer batches of the X3 do ship with FW 3.2. That is, it's not a typo.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #12,488 of 17,484
  I have 1.95Mb free in internal storage and 75.8Mb free on the 64Gb card.  No problems.

I am thinking about getting a 64gb card. My 32gb card has about 25gb on it and if I keep start to add flacs rather that Mp3s it will get full very fast. I just hope 64gb cards get cheaper soon. I also am not sure which brand is the best. I have had problems with a Toshiba one.

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #12,491 of 17,484
Unfortunately I do not have a basis of comparison as I got this with fw3.2 installed. Fwiw, it does sound marvellous with HD tracks.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #12,492 of 17,484
  Bought mine last November.  Had it only 3 days when it slipped from my hands (holding many things above waist height) and flew through the open door to the basement.  It bounced off a wooden step halfway down, causing it to spin rapidly into the concrete basement floor.  I was in shock, thinking I'd just destroyed my new X3.  It had the silicon case on it.  Not a mark, has worked perfectly ever since.  I've had one lockup in all that time due to unplugging the USB cable before unmounting (or power off), and one other I think was due to the audio cable not being fully inserted.  Or maybe the USB cable came loose during DAC use (only used that a couple times)  Only the first required a hard reset.  I've stuck with V2.1 (downloaded it immediately upon receipt) the whole time.

I think you can consider construction quality a non-issue.

Good to hear that...I've ordered one from MP4 nation. I've heard so much good about the X3 and very little bad I decided to get it and the price is very good too.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #12,493 of 17,484
  Living on the edge I see.

Not sure what edge you refer to.  I don't recall any posts mentioning required minimum free space on either memory.  Plus I figured if the device does use internal storage memory as processor temporary data memory, 1Mb is a lot for for an embedded controller like this.  The 3 database files now consume 3Mb.   Still, I was watching for any issues when I updated the database.  Do you have info that I'm mistaken?

Since the card is only used for reading during operation, I can't think of a reason it would need to have any free space.  Do you know a reason?

I did fill the internal memory last, updating the library after each album added when it got full.  Of course I'll move stuff off when I upgrade to a 128GB card.

I am thinking about getting a 64gb card. My 32gb card has about 25gb on it and if I keep start to add flacs rather that Mp3s it will get full very fast. I just hope 64gb cards get cheaper soon. I also am not sure which brand is the best. I have had problems with a Toshiba one.

The 64GB cards have come down a good bit since I bought mine last year.  I got my Sony card on sale from B&H for ~ $40 when SanDisk's were running $55 (and up).  Looks like the price of Sandisk 64's is now running about $35.

I've been waiting for 128GB cards to come down in price.  I was hoping other companies would release 128GB cards so competition would drive down prices, but so far not so much.

Last night before shutting down I checked on 128GB microSD prices again.  Ordered a SanDisk 128GB off Amazon for $82 shipped.  This forum may be free but time spent here has a way of keeping one's wallet from getting fat.

If I didn't put anything on the built in storage, my 32gb card would be pretty much full. I would much prefer it if I could have everything on the card which it why I am thinking about sometime getting a 64gb one.

I bought the X3 primarily so I could take my entire music collection (in full resolution and high quality LO sound) with me easily.  I rarely listen to headphones - my main system at home uses upgraded Infinity RS 2.5 speakers.  I'd like to be able to add new stuff I've acquired without having to decide what to delete to make room (when the 128GB card arrives, I can).  The majority of my files are WMA Lossless - another reason I chose the X3, since it didn't require converting all my files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back