The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #12,466 of 17,483

I think the rest of you guys might have to wait for the official release on the Fiio site. Mr. Trev indicated that the stock FW isn't able to be uploaded straight from the unit. I'm not sure how these things work though, so you might have to ask him about it.

I have no knowledge bout this, but I just meant that I don't think there is a way to dump the firmware off an already flashed device. I assume this means the rest of us are: 1, SOL until Fiio releases the new version (I'd bet a pair of Skullcandy Titans it won't be until after the X1 goes on sale.) or 2, buy a new unit.
As far as some of the earlier posts go.... Big Rock Traditional Ale does improve the X3's sound quality.
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #12,471 of 17,483
Aug 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #12,472 of 17,483
I must say i find it more than a little strange that FiiO would ship the X3 with a beta firmware, but is it beta? The screen shot does not show beta after the 3.2 like it normally would, and did, with previous X3 beta firmware. If it's not a beta firmware then why hasn't it been released to the general public?

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #12,473 of 17,483
  I must say i find it more than a little strange that FiiO would ship the X3 with a beta firmware, but is it beta? The screen shot does not show beta after the 3.2 like it normally would, and did, with previous X3 beta firmware. If it's not a beta firmware then why hasn't it been released to the general public?

... or it is just a typo by the software engineer when they compiled the firmware for the new machine..

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #12,474 of 17,483

... or it is just a typo by the software engineer when they compiled the firmware for the new machine..

Yes, I suppose that is quite possible, but it doesn't coincide with the e-mail response dcFac73 received from FiiO confirming that it is a different firmware on page 828 of this thread.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #12,476 of 17,483
Isn't 3.0 the latest stable release and already compiled? Why would they recompile?

Well, I'll guess there must be more than one software engineer around to complie and loud up the firmware and one of the copy just has a typo and somehow make it to the loading station. That's much more believable than one of them secretly improved the firmware and decided no one else should know about it, isn't it?

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #12,477 of 17,483
Well, I'll guess there must be more than one software engineer around to complie and loud up the firmware and one of the copy just has a typo and somehow make it to the loading station. That's much more believable than one of them secretly improved the firmware and decided no one else should know about it, isn't it?

I don't know. Where I work, if someone's compiling software for a release - one person is responsible for releasing the final product so there aren't multiple versions of final release floating around. It would be pretty bad practice to have multiple versions of final release firmware. I'm thinking there is another version that's just not released yet because Fiio is busy with X1, but maybe I'm wrong.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #12,480 of 17,483
I don't know. Where I work, if someone's compiling software for a release - one person is responsible for releasing the final product so there aren't multiple versions of final release floating around. It would be pretty bad practice to have multiple versions of final release firmware. I'm thinking there is another version that's just not released yet because Fiio is busy with X1, but maybe I'm wrong.

First, we known that X3 firmware is now based on X5 firmware, i.e. X3 v3 is based on X5's v2 coding. Now we also know that X5's latest v2.2 was released just a bit over 2 weeks ago. If you were to consider the time it needed to load the firmware to X3, tested, packed and shipped out to retailer, I'll assume there is a very high chance the so called v3.2 was load onto the new batch of X3 even before X5's v2.2 was released - that means it is likely that the X3 v3.2 in not based on the latest X5 v2.2, which goes against what we have known. That's why I think it is likely a typo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back