The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #12,331 of 17,484

The problem is, if  Windows does not recognize a file or filing format, it will assume it's corrupt.  I have a 2TB external hard drive I use for work that I know with 100% certainty, there are no issues but every time I plug it in, Windows always wants to scan it.  This can also arise when a device is used on multiple systems.

If you really want to scan it, run chkdsk from a command prompt.  I Windows dose find something, run chkdsk /f.  I never do ANY scanning on my F3.  If I think it's corrupt, I reformat and reload.

Sure, there can be problems if you use a storage device on different OSs (Windows, Mac, Linux) but it shouldn't.
But still, I wouldn't advise to use a dirty filesystem, after some usage the corruption can became much worse and the only option left is format.
One could always run chkdsk without the /f to see what Windows doesn't like and then decide, if to fix it or not.

What problem does Windows find when you run chkdsk without the /f on the 2TB ? It can be some minor problem, like badly counted unallocated space.

PS I always run chkdsk from a command prompt to see what was the problem.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #12,332 of 17,484
  I would like to know what people use to charge the X3. I use a 2.1amp USB socket on a charger that goes into the wall. That charges it in a few hours but it does get very warm. It takes a huge amount of time if i just plug the cable it comes with into my PC. It gets just as warm when charging it from my computer so I hope a 2.1amp charger isn't too much for it.

I really like the fact that you can use it while charging it. I sometimes use my portable charger while on the move and I don't notice any added hiss or interference while charging.

It does get quite warm just when it is playing but it gets quite a lot warmer if it is charging and playing at the same time.

Your player is normal ... Heating things are normal too ... And the current of your charger is very suitable too i am using the same current 2.1amp to charge mine ...nothing to worry about

I got a 2 amp charger too. It does get warm when charging - esp when trying to play at the same time, but this is normal from what I've read. I guess the only thing to mention is to keep it out of it's rubber when charging, just to be on the safe side.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #12,333 of 17,484
I don’t lie so much the fiio x3 firmware 3.0, but the sound quality is improved on this too

I decided to get a fIio, a player from a non respected-big-brand company like Sony f.e, I really wanted to get the sony F-880 series but sony mexico never brought it to my country and amazon sold the 64GB expensive.

I contacted with a guy that is the only distributor of Fiio products in mexico and chance of luck he lives in my city too, so he discounted me the fiio for 3,200 Mexican pesos.

I love it, the sound quality is soooo much better than iDevices, I’m glad my ipod classic 160GB hard drive failed, it sounded like a piece of **** even with ALAC files, lifeless ipod sound.

The sony Walkman F806 (32GB) costed 4,800 mexican pesos, that is the price I got the Fiio X3 + a 128GB micro SD card (sandisk class 10)

The sound stage of the fiio x3 is so impressive 3D like (even if I used it most of the time with XBA-1), I recently got the XBA-H3, and it has imporved a lot, sound quite warm, perfect for classical music.

But I hate the battery life, Ok, I know is because the great Wolfsan WM8740 DAC chip, awesome BTW, but they could put a bigger battery or at least add more  milliamps hours to the battery

Having it for nearly 6 months I can say is a great device, not the greatest looks like iDevices or so, but I chose it because sound quality and because I was getting tired of converting FLAC to ALAC for use on my iPod, , I can say even it  blows sony Walkman out of the water (I haven’t tried a new Hi-res Walkman to judge it)
What I liked form this firmware update: fast media scanning, better sound quality, support for 128GB micro sd card, beautiful 24-bit flac playback
What I dislike: I think the UI needs to be improved, I preferred the List-UI in the previous firmware, is still a little bit slow if I try to go back to all-songs menu when I have at least 5,800 Flac files on it, sometimes it still freezes but now is super-rare it to freeze unlike previous firmware it was constant daily bread to freeze. Song limit is 5,800 (still can see all my 8000 flacs using the file browser), File browser is not gapless (not nice for classical music), slow sync of the internal memory and if you have the microSD inside the fiio also syncs at 4.0 MB/s (I use the micro SD adapter and my vaio syncs the SD at 30MB/s)

Overall nice pair with the new XBA-H3

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #12,334 of 17,484

I got a 2 amp charger too. It does get warm when charging - esp when trying to play at the same time, but this is normal from what I've read. I guess the only thing to mention is to keep it out of it's rubber when charging, just to be on the safe side.

I have my X3 in the X3 Leather Flip Case and I hardly ever take it off. It is a pain to take off anyway. I didn't really like the silicone cases so I stopped using them.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #12,335 of 17,484
Recently i have noted (this did not happen with the XBA-1 BA´s) it gets warm, (but not hot like while  charging and playing at the same time) when i use The sony XBA-H3, perhaps the 40-omhs reuqires more DAC/amplifier power? (i have it at Low gain)

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #12,336 of 17,484
Regarding that you don't like the fiio cases, I use my silicone case only when traveling on my pocket, to avoid scratches (bad ipod classic experience) but when i charge it i remove it as it gest quite warm

But I know bare look cooler

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #12,337 of 17,484
I don't know about anyone else, but I can very happily live with the UI of the X3. I was expecting a complete train wreck after all the critical posts, but it turned out to be quite workable. The sound is completely awesome and the quality is way above what is expected at the price. The size and weight is just about perfect too. All in all, I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and with playlist support coming up, I couldn't wish for more....except for true  gapless support , which it doesn't have. There is a noticeable glitch between tracks on dj mixes. However, cue sheet support for single mp3 files works very well, so I'm still a v happy chappy.

Oh , and I forgot to mention scanning of newly added tracks filling a whole 64gb card takes only about 1 minute! Are you paying attention iBasso and Hisound???

Fiio now has one more loyal customer.

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #12,338 of 17,484
  Regarding that you don't like the fiio cases, I use my silicone case only when traveling on my pocket, to avoid scratches (bad ipod classic experience) but when i charge it i remove it as it gest quite warm

But I know bare look cooler

The fact that Fiio supply the silicone sleeve, AND a few good quality screen protectors says a lot about the company.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #12,339 of 17,484
I love it, the sound quality is soooo much better than iDevices, I’m glad my ipod classic 160GB hard drive failed, it sounded like a piece of **** even with ALAC files, lifeless ipod sound.  
Oh yeah! +1

But I hate the battery life, Ok, I know is because the great Wolfsan WM8740 DAC chip, awesome BTW, but they could put a bigger battery or at least add more  milliamps hours to the battery
You should try iBasso DAPs then- the battery bar goes down about 20% after playing mp3s for about 10 mins. The X3 life is paradise in comparison.
What I dislike: I think the UI needs to be improved, I preferred the List-UI in the previous firmware, is still a little bit slow if I try to go back to all-songs menu when I have at least 5,800 Flac files on it,
I can live with the 3.2 UI. Try listening to 320 mp3, and the UI will be quick and the sound will be the same.
Actually, u could be right. A jogwheel like on the old ipod nano would've been great. But you can't have evrything.
sometimes it still freezes but now is super-rare
Again, use mp3's and there's ZERO freezing.
Oh, and make sure the freezing is not caused by the silcone sleeve being too tight and accidently pressing the play/pause button. This happened to me once.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #12,340 of 17,484
Hi guys

I would like to ask something about X3.

I'm listener classical, symphonies and acoustical musics. I just ordered Vsonic GR07BE and I would like to know how it will be the tune with GR07BE for these kind of musics?

Sorry for my terrible english :)

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #12,341 of 17,484
It matches very well with all of these phones I've tried, all bass heavy. Ref1, Asg2, Shure se846, and Heir 8.0. With these X3 there bass hits very hard. You can adjust it though. Overall it's an amazing device, I prefer it to my Sony ZX1.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #12,343 of 17,484

I contacted with a guy that is the only distributor of Fiio products in mexico and chance of luck he lives in my city too, so he discounted me the fiio for 3,200 Mexican pesos.

Friend, you could've asked and you mp4nation sent directly to our country via Fedex (3 to 4 days) and free. And no custom problems ... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #12,345 of 17,484
I´ve tried the 3.0 firmware with that mr Trev mod, and although it certainly makes the main menu a bit less useless, the DAC and album art replacements still look horrific compared to the orange and grey mod that was done for firmware v 2.14. And since there is no bass and treble straight in the main menu, adjustments and navigation in general takes a bit longer. 

Then again - having changed back to 2.14 I´m experiencing slow-down and more freezing. And I´ve heard there are sound differences too, although I´m not one to install/uninstall firmware to check out if that´s true. 

Plus there´s no eq.

So, what´s the optimal here?

Maybe I should just look into it and further mod the mr Trev versions of the DAC and no album art files, but then again, man, I don´t wanna get into that s***t :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back