The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 27, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #12,347 of 17,484
Marat Star: You just might've been using my gray & orange mod with FW 2.X :wink:. FW 3.X took a much different approach made it harder to mod back to a list-based UI. I'm just glad Mr Trev put in some time and developed a list-based mod for 3.X. The stock UI drives me bananas :banana::banana::banana:

Was it the one that displayed a grey cityscape when there was no album art? If no, then still thank you for modding - if yes, then please mod 3.0 too! :D

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #12,348 of 17,484
Oddly, while I have more DAPs than I need, I've been troubleshooting my old ipod video.  At this point the battery's probably 9 or so years old, so I should consider replacing that too.  I just hope the hard drive doesn't go soon, or else I may as well look at the 128gig CF cards and swap that in.  Already had to wipe reset to factory settings just to get audio back as it is, seems to work again at least.  I'm just glad the rest of my DAPs are behaving.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #12,349 of 17,484
Was it the one that displayed a grey cityscape when there was no album art? If no, then still thank you for modding - if yes, then please mod 3.0 too! :D

Nope. I used that one as a springboard for a series of simpler gray + color themes with simplified startup & shutdown animations.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #12,350 of 17,484
Oddly, while I have more DAPs than I need, I've been troubleshooting my old ipod video.  At this point the battery's probably 9 or so years old, so I should consider replacing that too.  I just hope the hard drive doesn't go soon, or else I may as well look at the 128gig CF cards and swap that in.  Already had to wipe reset to factory settings just to get audio back as it is, seems to work again at least.  I'm just glad the rest of my DAPs are behaving.

I cracked my old iPod Video open awhile back, replaced the battery, and did the SD mod. Broke a couple clips in the process, so the front cover doesn't settle back in place perfectly anymore. I also lost the ability to Rockbox it for some reason. Guess it didn't like the SD mod. Didn't bother to troubleshoot after getting X3 and then X5. Maybe I'll try and get it back up and running one of these days...

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #12,351 of 17,484
My main curiosity is I keep seeing diyMods going for 300-500, and I'm curious what else they do besides things like the CF card, battery, and nifty clear faceplate...  whatever it is, I get the feeling swapping battery and going to CF is about the extent of my modding desire for this old thing.

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #12,352 of 17,484
My main curiosity is I keep seeing diyMods going for 300-500, and I'm curious what else they do besides things like the CF card, battery, and nifty clear faceplate...  whatever it is, I get the feeling swapping battery and going to CF is about the extent of my modding desire for this old thing.

I *think* they bypass the amp circuitry so you just get a permanent line out from the headphone jack. Cleans up the internal audio chain. Not something I have the skill to do. If I did, I'd much rather try swapping opamps in my X3 like ClieOS did.

Hey, maybe someone would like to mod my X3 for me. Any takers?

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #12,353 of 17,484
Nope. I used that one as a springboard for a series of simpler gray + color themes with simplified startup & shutdown animations.

Good springboard.

There is a lack of firmware 3.0 mods out there, to take advantage of the improved playback capabilities and faster switching inbetween tracks - that one list-based mod is not enough - do YOU want to be...

A INTERNAT SUPER HERO?!

...selflessly providing the people with superior modded content, just to disappear into the night. Leaving behind the whisper: nmatheis...

Are you motivated? :D 

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #12,354 of 17,484
Utterly outside my capabilities as well, but at least it makes a little sense how it'd be an expensive prospect.  Which reminds me, I really need to get a LOD for my ipod that has an aux jack instead of a cord for my car...  sorry for all the off subject ramblings btw.

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #12,355 of 17,484
Good springboard.

There is a lack of firmware 3.0 mods out there, to take advantage of the improved playback capabilities and faster switching inbetween tracks - that one list-based mod is not enough - do YOU want to be...

A INTERNAT SUPER HERO?!

...selflessly providing the people with superior modded content, just to disappear into the night. Leaving behind the whisper: nmatheis...

Are you motivated? :D 

Well, if it were FW 2.X, I'd be all over it. FW 3.X is a bit more complicated, so I leave it up to more talented people like Mr Trev :wink:.

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #12,356 of 17,484
Utterly outside my capabilities as well, but at least it makes a little sense how it'd be an expensive prospect.  Which reminds me, I really need to get a LOD for my ipod that has an aux jack instead of a cord for my car...  sorry for all the off subject ramblings btw.

I tried to bring it back on topic, bro :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #12,357 of 17,484
Well, if it were FW 2.X, I'd be all over it. FW 3.X is a bit more complicated, so I leave it up to more talented people like Mr Trev :wink:.

You're too kind 
beerchug.gif

I´ve tried the 3.0 firmware with that mr Trev mod, and although it certainly makes the main menu a bit less useless, the DAC and album art replacements still look horrific compared to the orange and grey mod that was done for firmware v 2.14. And since there is no bass and treble straight in the main menu, adjustments and navigation in general takes a bit longer. 

Then again - having changed back to 2.14 I´m experiencing slow-down and more freezing. And I´ve heard there are sound differences too, although I´m not one to install/uninstall firmware to check out if that´s true. 

Plus there´s no eq.

So, what´s the optimal here?

Maybe I should just look into it and further mod the mr Trev versions of the DAC and no album art files, but then again, man, I don´t wanna get into that s***t :D 

Don't think I bothered spending much (if any) time on those artworks, but it is really easy to just unpack the fw and replace em with what ever you want.
BTW CH23 also posted a litegui link that will give you a psuedo-simulator for testing.

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #12,358 of 17,484
Hey, maybe someone would like to mod my X3 for me. Any takers?

I sent a pair of AD8620's to a Head-Fi'er in the Philippines for his X3 and he seems to like the sound, I find the AD8620 a little too bright sounding. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #12,360 of 17,484
  Hi guys

I would like to ask something about X3.

I'm listener classical, symphonies and acoustical musics. I just ordered Vsonic GR07BE and I would like to know how it will be the tune with GR07BE for these kind of musics?

Sorry for my terrible english :)

You cancheck the sony XBA-H3's they sound superb. alittle bassy but Ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back