The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #12,246 of 17,481
  Just to update regarding the freezing I experienced playing the Led Zeppelin 24/96 remasters from HDTracks - resizing the album art (to 160x160) did the trick.  Worth checking if you run into freezing issues.

While we're on the subject, the album art is not transferring to the X3 on my FLAC converted files. It's not a big deal- the song title is there anyway. But if anyone knows why this is happening, please advise. Using EAC for conversion.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #12,247 of 17,481

While we're on the subject, the album art is not transferring to the X3 on my FLAC converted files. It's not a big deal- the song title is there anyway. But if anyone knows why this is happening, please advise. Using EAC for conversion.

I'm not familiar with EAC, so I can't speak to what it does with respect to album art.  Does it automatically embed artwork? I use mp3tag to update tag data, including embedded album art.  Maybe give that a shot (it's free) to make sure the artwork's there?

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #12,248 of 17,481

Sorry, in North America, and Canada specifically, the list prices of the two are much, much closer.

I did think that they could be closer prices to each other elsewhere. I just think that what I have got could be about the best I could have got for the price. In the UK anyway.

Yes, I would imagine that to be true. There is nothing wrong with the K550, it is a fine headphone. I enjoyed my time with it and liked the sound, except maybe for the bass output, which I felt was a little low, but the bass that is there was some of the most accurate and musical I had ever heard. It simply came down to the fact that for me the 550 was just too bulky and did not provide enough clamping force, for my head, for portable use, which is my primary need for any headphone.

Yes I like the HP50 more in almost every respect, but I would certainly not dare to suggest that it is worth twice the price of the AKG's, as it would be in your case.

I was just trying to give you some suggestions, as you asked, and didn't realize that you were based in the U.K.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #12,249 of 17,481
  ... and didn't realize that you were based in the U.K.

That is why everyone should at least fill out some, if not all of the profile information.
beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #12,251 of 17,481
  Yes, I would imagine that to be true. There is nothing wrong with the K550, it is a fine headphone. I enjoyed my time with it and liked the sound, except maybe for the bass output, which I felt was a little low, but the bass that is there was some of the most accurate and musical I had ever heard. It simply came down to the fact that for me the 550 was just too bulky and did not provide enough clamping force, for my head, for portable use, which is my primary need for any headphone.

Yes I like the HP50 more in almost every respect, but I would certainly not dare to suggest that it is worth twice the price of the AKG's, as it would be in your case.

I was just trying to give you some suggestions, as you asked, and didn't realize that you were based in the U.K.

I agree that the bass on the K550s is a bit on the light side. Still, they have quite a bit more more than my AT AD700s. When I use my K550s with the X3 on the move, the bass doesn't seem to be as noticeable as when I use them at home. That is where the X3's EQ is useful. I normally have in between 5 and 10 while on the move depending on the type of music. When I am at home, I don't have it above 4 with the K550s. My AD700s were over £40 cheaper then my K550s yet overall they sound way better with the X3 and everything else I use them with. But then they are open back.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #12,252 of 17,481

I'm not familiar with EAC, so I can't speak to what it does with respect to album art.  Does it automatically embed artwork? I use mp3tag to update tag data, including embedded album art.  Maybe give that a shot (it's free) to make sure the artwork's there?

EAC uses the FreeDb system to capture album art and song titles- it works well, but it's not transmitting the album art when I drag and drop onto the card. Song titles are sent though.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #12,254 of 17,481
Question! I notice this on my E7 however I was not expecting it on my X3

Whenever the X3 hooked up to USB playing off winamp using format: 24-bit/96khz. All music has a noticeable volume increase at 120 volume step (max) compared to playing the exact same file (and volume step) off the device (from MicroSD). Is this something that normally happens when DAC are plugged into USB port ? 

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #12,255 of 17,481

Is MP3tag easy to use? I'm ripping most of my files with Foobar (Flac) then putting them on a Kingston 64g micro SD. The song order is sometimes scrambled (mainly alphabetical) and so I go back in and number the songs to get them in order. My card has been freezing recently so I've wiped it, downloaded the Beta exFat and am starting again. Hardly played it since but the songs are updating fine.

Daps are more frustrating than turntables and valves! I tried EAC a while ago and couldn't get my head around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back