The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #12,256 of 17,481
Is MP3tag easy to use? I'm ripping most of my files with Foobar (Flac) then putting them on a Kingston 64g micro SD. The song order is sometimes scrambled (mainly alphabetical) and so I go back in and number the songs to get them in order. My card has been freezing recently so I've wiped it, downloaded the Beta exFat and am starting again. Hardly played it since but the songs are updating fine.

Daps are more frustrating than turntables and valves! I tried EAC a while ago and couldn't get my head around it.

Yeah - I think mp3tag is easy to use, especially for basic tagging operations. Definitely download it and try it out. Nothing to lose as it's for free (though I think it's nice to make a contribution to the author if you end up liking it!)

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #12,257 of 17,481
The X3 works very nicely plugged into valves... :)

MP3Tag is easy to use, I use Tag&Rename a commercial product but has a steeper learning curve.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #12,258 of 17,481
Personally, I use dbPoweramp to rip and tag my songs.  It's really easy to use, applies the right tags to the songs so they play in the album order, searches out album art for you, shows you if a song rips correctly or needs to be done again, and puts music in any file system you prefer.  I have a folder on my desktop named FLAC files, and I use the "Dynamic Folder" option, and it always puts the music in the correct artist folder.  It's a great program, rips cleanly, can convert 24/96 files to 16/44.1 if necessary, and comes with a complete program suite to do whatever you need to do.  It is pay to play, but I've had such great success with it, I don't mind paying the money for the program.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #12,260 of 17,481

The only good thing to say about SACD was that it worked well as a surround format. It is now completely blown away by DTS HD blu-ray.
DSD may be a wonderful recording format, but that doesn't necessarily translate into the playback medium.

True. I´d even extend the dislike: if I´d be a recording engineer, I´d take PCM anytime.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #12,261 of 17,481
I'm starting to get some freezes and they are reproducible. I have the Pearl Jam greatest hits album, and every song causes the player to freeze. Removing the headphones doesn't help.
Running v3.0 firmware.
I've tried converting the mp3s into flacs and putting them back on the SD card, still freezes.
The files play fine on every single piece of hardware/software I tried. These files worked before too, so it's not like I transferred bad files.

What else can I do?
I've re-applied the 3.0 update and manually rebuilt the database. Help.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #12,262 of 17,481
I'm starting to get some freezes and they are reproducible. I have the Pearl Jam greatest hits album, and every song causes the player to freeze. Removing the headphones doesn't help.
Running v3.0 firmware.
I've tried converting the mp3s into flacs and putting them back on the SD card, still freezes.
The files play fine on every single piece of hardware/software I tried. These files worked before too, so it's not like I transferred bad files.

What else can I do?
I've re-applied the 3.0 update and manually rebuilt the database. Help.

So if you reverted back to the last FW does it work for you? If so I would have to believe it has something to do with the way the new FW it working in relation to the files you have.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #12,263 of 17,481
So if you reverted back to the last FW does it work for you? If so I would have to believe it has something to do with the way the new FW it working in relation to the files you have.

That's the thing, these songs worked on v3.0, even while in Beta. The X3 just started freezing up recently and before it was just 1 or 2 songs, now it's the whole album that is causing a freeze.
Gapless is turned off also.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #12,264 of 17,481
That's the thing, these songs worked on v3.0, even while in Beta. The X3 just started freezing up recently and before it was just 1 or 2 songs, now it's the whole album that is causing a freeze.
Gapless is turned off also.

Well one thing I can suggest it to wipe the Pearl Jam and rescan to make sure it is off the X3 than reload it, see if that will get you some where. What are youmusimg to transfer music? I use Media Monkey and have good luck.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #12,265 of 17,481
I just tried that today. I copied the albums' MP3s over to my computer and SHIFT+DELETE the Pearl Jam folder off the SD card (SanDisk 64GB). I then converted them to FLAC, then copied them back to the SD card, figuring that would solve it but no.
One thing I just noticed is that while playing to songs on VLC, the album art is quite large, does the X3 have a size limit to album art?

I use this: http://www.poikosoft.com/audio-converter.html to convert/rip/burn/tag my music, but these were downloaded off the net as I lost that CD long ago, so can't rip it.

That might be it, the embedded album art is 2000x2007 px, and 1,756 KB jpeg, holy crap that's huge!

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #12,268 of 17,481
  I just tried that today. I copied the albums' MP3s over to my computer and SHIFT+DELETE the Pearl Jam folder off the SD card (SanDisk 64GB). I then converted them to FLAC, then copied them back to the SD card, figuring that would solve it but no.
One thing I just noticed is that while playing to songs on VLC, the album art is quite large, does the X3 have a size limit to album art?

I use this: http://www.poikosoft.com/audio-converter.html to convert/rip/burn/tag my music, but these were downloaded off the net as I lost that CD long ago, so can't rip it.

That might be it, the embedded album art is 2000x2007 px, and 1,756 KB jpeg, holy crap that's huge!

Yeah I've heard you should keep it around 750x750

Hi guys, maybe this thread can help you: http://www.head-fi.org/t/717873/reference-table-for-album-art-tagging-and-lyrics-support-on-the-x3-and-x5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back