The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #12,211 of 17,484
  Anyone else have Led Zep Remasters I, II, III 96/24 WAV files? How are they playing with your X3? Mine don't work and I've tried everything short of asking HDTracks if I can download them again. FWIW, they played just fine with the previous firmware.

I've tried contacting Fiio support, but haven't heard back from them.

I have them in FLAC and they work fine on the X3, just convert the WAV's to FLAC

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #12,212 of 17,484
Hey guys.
After reading this forum for a while,  a couple of months ago I decided to finally buy the X3. 
I love the sound quality, like every one else, but I do have one important complaint, and I was wondering if you guys could help me:
My X3 freezes very often. I like to listen to songs on 'shuffle', and I skip them constantly. Unfortunately, my X3 freezes every time I start skipping songs... If I wait about 4 seconds in the song to skip it, it usually won't freeze, but if I skip away (like I'm used to do with the Clip+) it eventually freezes, sometimes just after the first or second 'skip'.

Anyone experimenting anything similar? Any ideas on what might be causing it?

I'm using a sandisk 64 microsd card, and the new firmware.

Thanks in advance :)  

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #12,213 of 17,484
  Hey guys.
After reading this forum for a while,  a couple of months ago I decided to finally buy the X3. 
I love the sound quality, like every one else, but I do have one important complaint, and I was wondering if you guys could help me:
My X3 freezes very often. I like to listen to songs on 'shuffle', and I skip them constantly. Unfortunately, my X3 freezes every time I start skipping songs... If I wait about 4 seconds in the song to skip it, it usually won't freeze, but if I skip away (like I'm used to do with the Clip+) it eventually freezes, sometimes just after the first or second 'skip'.

Anyone experimenting anything similar? Any ideas on what might be causing it?

I'm using a sandisk 64 microsd card, and the new firmware.

Thanks in advance :)  

Maybe try switching gapless on/off and see if that helps. I used to have this problem with the 2.14beta firmware, but not once since if upgraded to 3.0. Also try unplugging/plugging your earphones if it does freeze, supposedly that would get get it running again (but again that was with pre 3.0 firmwares)

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #12,216 of 17,484
@Luc33: I had a similar problem on fw 3.0 using a 64GB FAT-formatted Sandisk card. Switching back to fw 2.1 solved the problem but I really loved the new firmware. It used to freeze after a couple of songs (skipped or played didn't seem to matter at all) during the first few seconds of the offending track. It wasn't repeatable, it occurred on random tracks (using the same tracks/albums after the system restore showed no problems at all most of the time) and it was absolutely independent from the playback mode.
I blame it on the card, maybe it was file system related.
Now I have a 128GB Sandisk microSD card (exFAT) and I'm using the new beta firmware 3.0EX with the same exact files (+3.000 tracks comprised of MP3s, AACs and ALACs tagged and sorted in iTunes). I have also disabled gapless playback and resume mode. I hadn't a single problem since.

If I were you, I would try the beta fw with an exFAT-formatted card.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #12,217 of 17,484
All is cool...

I'd still like to know what I did, you can PM if you want to, I am one of the first to declare "My Bad" when it is.

I had a serious hate on for the X3 after that first firmware update, music locking up, that foolish spin wheel interface and the sound change. So I switched over to Mr. Trev's list theme which got rid of the Metro Style boxes. Still had the music lockups and they were so bad that I was either going to bift it at the wall or sell it. Well they were selling for $150 in the FS forum with free shipping so instead of taking a severe beating on it, I just threw it in the drawer and went back to my C3.

Firmware 3.0 was released so I installed that with Mr. Trev's theme again and no lockups... The X3 played without issue, the sound was better, UI is still the Schiit's but you can't expect much from a device that doesn't have enough buttons. Compared to a Sansa Clip+ with the Rockbox Interface, the proper amount of buttons and stuff just works as it should.

The SQ on the X3 is excellent, so back out it came and has been my primary player ever since.

You mentioned PRS getting dismissed, his main problem was the sound from the X3 and no equalizer. Well many tried to assist him with the sound issue to no avail, he claims the X3 just sounds bad to him. I was probably a bit curt with my suggestion of possibly the A&K to go with his $1K+ customs, but that was met with a, not paying that kind of money and it probably doesn't sound any better. Someone else suggested that he ask in the Miracles thread for player recommendations and he did.

The first reply, the very first reply was the AK240... So he just doesn't like the sound of the X3 and has possibly moved onto a DX90.

I know the angst you feel for a player that just doesn't work like it should, basic functions do not work like they should... Unfortunately it is a proprietary firmware as Rockbox in my opinion would fix this player. I can see once the X7 gets released and the X1 sales start to take off, the X3 will take a back seat to any fixes or improvements, possibly even abandoned... Back in the day I had my share of ATI video cards and Soundblaster card drivers getting abandoned... Hopefully not but I feel the X3 is FiiO's red headed step child.

So like it was mentioned earlier I see an iDevice in your future, or get a hold of FiiO and have them fix it, tracked shipping back to China would possibly not be feasible and a nice 160GB Classic might just be the better choice.

This was cranked out on my phone so ignore and formatting errors etc...
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Trolldragon - my apologies. I was fairly fed up with the X3 last night and vented my spleen far too much in your direction. I thought you were a bit flippant with PRS but undeserving of a broadside. I hope you'll accept mea culpa.

I think the problem with my little 'ol X3 centres around the micro SD card. I have no concerns with anything on the internal memory. When it started to become unstable last time I wiped the card and started again. All was fine until I added a few more albums and the hissy fits started. It is mightily frustrating.

Steve

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #12,219 of 17,484
  I owned the AKG K550's and now own NAD Viso HP50's and much prefer the sound and fit of the NADs, and they are much more conducive to portable use than the K550's. I have not owned the Sennheiaer Momentum's, but have auditioned them multiple times and I would be tempted to say that they would probably outperform the K550's as well, for my taste.

They may be better but the price difference is huge. From what I can see anyway. On amazon.co.uk there is £100 difference between the two. My K550s now at £99 and the NAD Viso HP50s at £199.
I agree they look much easier to carry around and that is what you want portable headphones for I suppose
biggrin.gif
. I just have a small laptop case that my X3 and K550s fit into nicely.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #12,221 of 17,484
  But more data has to be read off the card, and that also consumes power. Probably less, but maybe not.

Okay, but if you put the WAV file in internal storage, I'm sure the WAV file would consume less power than a FLAC equivalent. It's just got to. In my mind the processor should be working twice as hard to read the FLAC file. Then again, there are a lot of wrong assumptions in my mind!

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #12,222 of 17,484

Trolldragon - my apologies. I was fairly fed up with the X3 last night and vented my spleen far too much in your direction. I thought you were a bit flippant with PRS but undeserving of a broadside. I hope you'll accept mea culpa.

I think the problem with my little 'ol X3 centres around the micro SD card. I have no concerns with anything on the internal memory. When it started to become unstable last time I wiped the card and started again. All was fine until I added a few more albums and the hissy fits started. It is mightily frustrating.

Steve

This is a huge thread and the majority of problems are micro SD card related. Have you considered why Apple don't provide such expansion slots?

But more data has to be read off the card, and that also consumes power. Probably less, but maybe not.

FLAC is designed to have a low resource requirement for decompression, no matter what level of compression. It is much more likely that the longer read time of the WAV will draw more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back