The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 29, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #11,836 of 17,484
I will say you will find the X3 sound better than your existing setup.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #11,840 of 17,484
I just ordered an X3 off of Amazon. I really enjoyed the house sound of Fiio, plus I like having the eq options, bass and treble. Curious to see how this compares to my zx1, which I love, just hate the EQ as its not very effective. I love bass, which is another reason I went with the X3.Very curious to see how it pairs with my Ref1,id like to get some additional bass out of them.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #11,841 of 17,484
I think the combination headphone, player makes the final signature
The shure srh 840 I have has flat with a little warm signature, the x3 has a warm signature. But what I get is very low bass not prominent, maybe a little recessed, mids are great, highs good not to bright, sound seems a bit muffled lack of extension, anyway the whole sound has good definition and clarity, and good soundstage with weak bass less than necessary sometimes.
I like the sound I have, with this combination, classic and jazz are great, electronic loose big part of the bass.bass and treble controls responds good without causing distortion.
Anyway these are my findings, sure with a different headphone changes alot.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #11,842 of 17,484
I think the combination headphone, player makes the final signature
The shure srh 840 I have has flat with a little warm signature, the x3 has a warm signature. But what I get is very low bass not prominent, maybe a little recessed, mids are great, highs good not to bright, sound seems a bit muffled lack of extension, anyway the whole sound has good definition and clarity, and good soundstage with weak bass less than necessary sometimes.
I like the sound I have, with this combination, classic and jazz are great, electronic loose big part of the bass.bass and treble controls responds good without causing distortion.
Anyway these are my findings, sure with a different headphone changes alot.

Thanks, you're making it real tempting.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #11,843 of 17,484

Not sure about the warmer, I have a headphone with warmer signature and on the X3, I do not feel it warm at all...
On the Mac headphone out, yes the headphones are warm as expected.

How would you describe the sound?  Remember, I'm coming from an iPod and an E17, so that's my reference.

I had the E17 and used it with my iPhone 5 (similar audio circuitry as the iPod) and found it warmer but also more detailed when using the E17 as the DAC. I haven't been able to use my X3 as a DAC with my iPhone but it really isn't necessary - the X3 does a great job on its own and is very close in sonic signature to the E17 (they use very similar audio output circuits as mentioned by Fiio). I was happy enough with the X3 that I sold my E17 (and companion E9 desktop amp) to a friend, who now is looking at the X5. I too looked at the X5 but it has a more neutral signature and isn't quite as nice of a match with my HD800s, HE-560s and SE-530s, so I'm staying with the X3. I think you'll find it quite enjoyable.

Dale

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #11,844 of 17,484
  Thanks, you're making it real tempting.

Here is the link for you from the Headphone Bar in Vancouver with free shipping!

http://www.headphonebar.com/fiio-x3/

Just add it to the cart... 
L3000.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #11,845 of 17,484
Jul 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #11,848 of 17,484
That combo sounds quite good. The DN-K is quite versatile, and the X3 certainly doesn't hold it back. It's a very enjoyable combo for classical, and handles rock rather well.

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #11,849 of 17,484
  haha, no kidding.  I'm almost over the edge.  Still have a few things to consider.  I actually just got PM'd by a member, who lives in town, has an X3, and is willing to let me try it.  Just trying to nail down some details.

You are not going to regret, having such Audio Quality on a portable device, is priceless !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back