The Fiio X3 Thread.
Feb 16, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #8,581 of 17,484
Yes from the X3 you can only use the WA7 as an amplifer through the RCA inputs.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #8,582 of 17,484
Hi all. I just filed a big on the Fiio bugzilla.

My X3 just froze. Probably the worst I've experienced so far.

I tried to turn it on with the lock slider on. As soon as I got the warning that it was locked and that the X3 would shut off, I slid the lock slider to the off position. This caused the X3 to freeze. I held down the power button for 10 seconds to power off the X3 and then powered of back on. It was still frozen. I reset it and it was still frozen. I finally powered off, removed the SD card, powered if back on, and if finally worked. I thought for a minute that I'd bricked it and am glad it finally unfroze! Anyone else have this happen? If so, vote up the bug!

Let's get the X3 fixed, so it can finally be the DAP we all want it to be!

Thanks,
Nikolaus

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #8,583 of 17,484
  I would think a 3.5mm to 2-RCA cable would do the trick?  Connect the 3.5mm end to the LO of the X3 and the RCA's to the Left/Right inputs of the WA7, set the rear switch on the WA7 to RCA.

As your recommendation, this connection will use DAC inside X3 and use WA7 as amp only, is it correct?

Is there any way to use DAC in WA7? It seem to have a better DAC.

Please forgive me if this look like a dump question, I'm still in stone age.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #8,584 of 17,484
Yes from the X3 you can only use the WA7 as an amplifer through the RCA inputs.

Thanks for your confirmation
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, continue on X3

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #8,585 of 17,484
I submitted two new requests for enhancement to the UI.

Bug 51 - Return to the Now Playing screen after period of inactivity.

Bug 52 - Toggle between Artwork and Lyrics display easily.
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #8,587 of 17,484
  I have had the same experience as you, but worse: my X3 crashes every time I use it, often multiple times. When playing 192/24 files it often plays two or three tracks and then stops, makes a click sound and then it is locked up until I push the reset button. This often happens several times during an album. FiiO support contacted me and suggested I install newer firmware, then suggested older firmware, and then suggested I reformat both the TF card and the device internal memory and try installing firmware again. None of these things fixed the problem, so now the X3 is sitting in my desk drawer, unused. I bought an AK100 and it is a FAR better device. The X3 wasn't worth the trouble. (And because of that, I will NOT buy the X5, which I was considering)

So now your story is told and you have made up your mind that the Fiio X3 is not for you. Would you please do us a favor and not hang around this thread reminding us of your unhappiness? I'm really happy with mine. Great that you found something you like. Hang around that devices thread. Pretty please.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #8,589 of 17,484

Looks like someone beat me to the answer!

Dear Frank,

Please forgive for my poor English. Never think of beat you at all
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm really have a little knowledge in computer audio, and just hope that there may be some converter device to connect from coax output of X3 to USB input of WA7

Actually, I already pre-order X5 from dealer (in Thailand). But, I really love the sound of X3 with my ATH-W1000, ESW11LTD. And just order ATH-W5000 from price japan. So, I think that if I already love the sound of X3 with my woodies, an additional amp should be a good investment. Since I also have a good offer for new LCD 2 rev 2, an addition amp will be a good route to go.

WA7 has a good reviews and its look has very high WAF. And I just want to find to use its DAC.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #8,590 of 17,484
I just wanted to add my own X3 experience here. I found this DAP sounded pretty good with my Starving Student hybrid amp and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs. Then I went further and used Foobar2000 with Wasapi plugin. The sound was much better. This lead me to believe the X3 is a better DAC than a DAP.
I figured that the only difference with the DAP of the X3 and Foobar was the fact that Foobar was adding ReplayGain for me. I don't like much pre-gain in my music because I feel that clarity is compromised. Therefore, I converted the files on my SD card from FLAC to FLAC with ReplayGain added plus an additional -7db active gain. I used dbPoweramp to do the conversions. In my opinion, my X3 now sounds awesome as a stand-alone player. I feel like the clarity is better and the X3 (in high-gain mode) powers my Mad Dogs excellently.
Just thought I'd share.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #8,591 of 17,484
Being an Amazon customer for a very long time and my experience with their CSR, be polite and send them an email, I am sure they will work something out. They have the best return policy next to Costco IMHO and personal experience. GL!

I have to thank you for prompting me to pursue this option, since I was prepared to just regard this as a "$200-into-the-toilet" experience, but no -- I contacted Amazon and explained why I was requesting a late return (spent six weeks with FiiO trying to address problems), and they are letting me return it for a full refund. So kudos to Amazon for doing the right thing. And thank you for suggesting I pursue it.

Good riddance to bad hardware!

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #8,592 of 17,484
@aangen:
 Been a while now, how has the sd adapter been treating you? Cable/connectors holding up. I keep hearing conflicting reports about 128gb microsd (namely the microdia listed on amazon.jp) and if/when they'll get released. Plus still no word on whether we'll see USB OTG (still would love this. plug my hd directly into the x3 and skip using my laptop).

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #8,593 of 17,484
It's working just fine Mr Trev. I use it nearly every day and I am pleased with the extra storage.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #8,594 of 17,484
I really don't have any issue with the button layout, once I changed from the silicon casing to a custom leather one. Having the buttons exposed makes it rather easy to navigate. But with them hidden? Not so much.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #8,595 of 17,484
  It's working just fine Mr Trev. I use it nearly every day and I am pleased with the extra storage.

My only concern is that I'm a swapper, and I'm not sure durable the cable is. There's a guy on ebay auctioning of 256gb cards right now round $110-120, but he won't ship to Canada. Unbranded korean cards, but a few people from the ipod ssd forum have bought and claim they are legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back