The Fiio X3 Thread.
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #8,552 of 17,484
Another glaring bug is there should be a time out that returns the player back to the now playing screen when music is playing. If I hit the back button and leave it at the selection screen or hold the back button for the information screen after a few seconds of button inactivity the player should return by itself to the now playing screen. File this as a bug too since it should be a default operation.

So go ahead and file a bug at FiiO's bugzilla page (and create a user profile before that if you didn't already do so)!
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #8,554 of 17,484
  Are there any other known cases for the X3 that allows for clipping it to your pocket or wearing it on your belt? I see the Tuff-Luv case above and though its VERY nice I'm looking for one that's scaled down a bit if possible. 

This is the case I use to take the X3 out and about it a LowePro Rezo30, perfect case for protecting the X3. Pouch up front for a charge cable and Memory adapter card / usb reader. The belt loop on these LowePro cases is one of their best features, you just unsnap the safety and the bottom part is on a Velcro tab to the case. Slip in down over your belt a little squeeze and close the snap.

Rezo 30
http://store.lowepro.com/rezo-30

Side and Top

Belt Loop

If you are looking for a custom moulded OtterBox type case, you'll be waiting a long time... 
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #8,555 of 17,484
Can't say much about cost, as that varies by shipping company/method...

But if I'm not mistaking the CN-22 customs label is all you need for normal mail. Additional forms may be required when using other (quicker) shipping methods, as they can aid in passing customs quicker.
Keep in mind that on labels/documents that can be read by anyone (like the CN-22 label) you want to put a vague and or discouraging item description to prevent people from stealing your package, but don't lie, customs officers don't like that :)
Something like "Defective Electronics" would work for the X3. On the forms/documents that only officials are allowed to read, put the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, as not doing so can lead to your package being in customs for a very long time or even being confiscated...

Another good thing to know is that insurance might not always be the best idea. Insurance might give you peace of mind, but it's also like putting a great big neon sign on your package that says "Hey! Look at this! This contains something that is of value to someone!!". It will increase both chances of being singled out by customs, as well as being stolen. Also, when you do send insured, read the fine print, there's usually some ifs & buts to it...

Also, request that Fiio puts "Repaired under warranty" or something along those lines on the documents when sending it back. It greatly reduces the risk of being charged customs fees. And, if Fiio needs to bill you for some reason, have them send the invoice separately.

Just some tips & tricks from my 10 years of experience with sending & receiving packages all over the planet :)

Thank you for that information. Very helpful indeed. It has helped me make a decision.

Since there is always a chance it could be 1) stolen in transit, 2) take months to get the job done and get a working device returned to me, 3) end up incurring $$$ shipping costs and potentially $$$ customs fees, and who knows what else, I'm just going to write this off as a "lesson learned" (IE don't buy low-priced electronics that promise an experience greatly exceeding it's price tag). I can't believe there isn't a US agent that will handle warranty repairs
Sorry FiiO -- game over. :frowning2:

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #8,556 of 17,484

Personally, I like it the way it is. When I go to *whatever menu* while playing and get distracted for a bit, I can just continue where I left off, rather than having to go through a number of additional actions a second time.

But I see your point and understand that others might like it the way you describe. So it would be a nice feature to have if it can be turned on/off and has a user selectable time out.

Anyway, IMHO this should not be considered a bug, it's a feature request...

All the DAP's I have used in the past go back to the Now Playing screen after a period with no interaction, the Clip+, Colorfly C3, iPod's etc... You get use to a basic funtionality and along comes a device that deviates from the normal way of "expected" operation.

It's like taking a computer program and moving all the drop down menu's around in a different order because you feel they should be alphabetical instead of the "standard" form and function.

Just saying...

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #8,557 of 17,484
I know i said a few post ago i was sending the x3 back but evrytime i looknat the box again i cant help but to take it out and try. But Is it crazy for me to ask you Guys which headphones you all use with the x3 out in the world? Looking for some over the ear with good isolation I'm pretty much set on getting then xba h3 but wanna try something different sometimes and not have something in my ear all the time.$300 budget on them. I have the xb1000 and well those leak pretty bad and only use them at home.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #8,558 of 17,484
I know i said a few post ago i was sending the x3 back but evrytime i looknat the box again i cant help but to take it out and try. But Is it crazy for me to ask you Guys which headphones you all use with the x3 out in the world? Looking for some over the ear with good isolation I'm pretty much set on getting then xba h3 but wanna try something different sometimes and not have something in my ear all the time.$300 budget on them. I have the xb1000 and well those leak pretty bad and only use them at home.

GermanMaestro GMP 8.300 D Pro's with HM5 Pads

But you might want to look into the GMP 8.35 that are lower impedance.
http://www.german-maestro.de/EN/gmp835dmonitor.htm

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #8,559 of 17,484

I use Sennheiser Momentums for over ears

Pairs well IMO with the x3

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #8,560 of 17,484
Thank you for that information. Very helpful indeed. It has helped me make a decision.

Since there is always a chance it could be 1) stolen in transit, 2) take months to get the job done and get a working device returned to me, 3) end up incurring $$$ shipping costs and potentially $$$ customs fees, and who knows what else, I'm just going to write this off as a "lesson learned" (IE don't buy low-priced electronics that promise an experience greatly exceeding it's price tag). I can't believe there isn't a US agent that will handle warranty repairs
Sorry FiiO -- game over. :frowning2:

Before you totally give up on it, I'd say maybe wait until the next firmware is out. Who knows maybe there will be some change that'll get it working.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy from?. I'm kind of surprised that a local dealer wouldn't consider just doing an exchange, or at the very least take the responsibility of returning it for you.
I totally understand not wanting to go through the hassle. I'd probably consider the same thing, but the reason I bought locally was so I wouldn't need to (at least I hope this is the case if I have any probs)
Cheers

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #8,561 of 17,484
Before you totally give up on it, I'd say maybe wait until the next firmware is out. Who knows maybe there will be some change that'll get it working.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy from?. I'm kind of surprised that a local dealer wouldn't consider just doing an exchange, or at the very least take the responsibility of returning it for you.
I totally understand not wanting to go through the hassle. I'd probably consider the same thing, but the reason I bought locally was so I wouldn't need to (at least I hope this is the case if I have any probs)
Cheers

I bought it through Amazon. I frittered away the return period working through the problems with the FiiO support people. Now it's too late to send it back to Amazon :frowning2:

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #8,562 of 17,484
That return policy with Amazon is great, if you take advantage of it. I even have returned items specifying that I did not want it anymore as a reason.That is how I found the headphones that I have.

Sorry to hear about you loss (of money).

Bob Graham

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #8,563 of 17,484
I bought it through Amazon. I frittered away the return period working through the problems with the FiiO support people. Now it's too late to send it back to Amazon :frowning2:

Being an Amazon customer for a very long time and my experience with their CSR, be polite and send them an email, I am sure they will work something out. They have the best return policy next to Costco IMHO and personal experience. GL!

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #8,564 of 17,484
Being an Amazon customer for a very long time and my experience with their CSR, be polite and send them an email, I am sure they will work something out. They have the best return policy next to Costco IMHO and personal experience. GL!

You make a good point here, thanks. I'm a long tern Amazon customer and spend a lot of $$ with them, so it's worth a try.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #8,565 of 17,484
You make a good point here, thanks. I'm a long tern Amazon customer and spend a lot of $$ with them, so it's worth a try.

Absolutely worth a try. My only experience with returns has been really good (external HD that wouldn't work), but it was within the 30 day window. Hopefully being a loyal customer can pay off for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back