The Fiio X3 Thread.
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #8,536 of 17,484
  I've been reading through several threads on the FiiO X3 yet was hoping to be able to get a few questions answered if possible. 

I have a FiiO X3 w/Sandisk 64GB External MicroSD on the way and was wondering what is the very latest firmware (FW2.05?) for the X3 and if anyone has a link to it? I looked for firmware on FiiO's site but didn't see it...I'm sure that its my fault as I've never used their site before.

I'm assuming that the first thing to do is to install the X3's USB drivers to my Windows 7 x64 PC, then update the X3 to the latest firmware version and possibly format (FAT32) the 64GB memory card (from the player itself) correct?

I haven't seen much written on the built in HP amp/output of the X3, should it do well with headphones like the B&W P7's or would I be better off to use my FiiO E11 along with the X3? 

How do most of you carry a DAP like this without any sort of clip or way of attaching it to your clothing, simply in your pocket? I'm use to using a Sansa Clip Zip (40GB w/card), and I'm concerned that putting the player in my front pocket my damage the plug on whatever IEM or portable headphone I use. I apologize if this seems like a silly question, I'm just use to only using player that clip on to your pocket or whatever is convenient. 

Hopefully this player will be a nice step up in sound quality from my Clip Zip. I'm sorry for asking several questions and thanks so much in advance for ANY insight you may provide. 
Take care. 

I'm on 2.1 which can be found on their fiio.net website.

http://fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=100000126778463&page=1

If you're used to using fiio.com.cn like I am, yeah it's a bit confusing, but I got ahold of the firmware via fiio.net

Regarding the built in amplifier, I've had no issues powering my HD600s with it, though most of the time I'm using it with much lower impedance headphones like my Momentums or JH11s. Still, it's more than adequate, and from reading through this thread I think it's SLIGHTLY more bassy than the E17 but just as good.

I simply carry it in my side pocket, I don't really fear damaging the plug on my IEMs or the socket on the X3, both seem to be of good quality. I do have my X3 in the pocket by itself, just out of a bit of worry, but I don't think it's a huge issue honestly.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #8,538 of 17,484
Got my Tuff-Luv case.  Overall I'm quite impressed by the package, which in addition to a well constructed case, includes screen protectors, screen wipe, belt clip, and a clip on ring.  

pics:

Only downside I've found myself is that the X3 tends to get hot after prolonged use when it is stored in the leather case and then in a pocket or similar.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #8,540 of 17,484
For several weeks now, the FiiO support people have been helping me diagnose the problems I have been experiencing with my X3. -- things like the frequent crashes, files skipping during playback, etc, etc. (none of their numerous tests and fixes has helped at all: the unit rarely plays more than a few songs before it crashes and has to be reset)

FiiO has decided I need to ship my X3 to them in China for "repair". I have to ship it to them at my expense. My question to any of you who have done this as well: how much will this cost me, and do I have to fill out export/ customers forms, etc? I don't know if this is just too much trouble to proceed -- it might be easier to just call it a loss and send it to electronics recycling.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #8,541 of 17,484
Another Head-Fi'er in the E17 thread had to send one back to FiiO for repair. He used regular parcel post without tracking and it never arrived at FiiO's repair centre. Tracking the parcel would have cost just about as much as the E17 so what would be the point.

With a few emails and pictures and a some public posts, FiiO sent him a new E17. Props to FiiO but I think the whole ordeal took months.

I'd send it FedEx with tracking, it will cost you half of the price of a new one but at least you'll know where it is.

I sent a cable to a guy in Moscow through regular mail, copied and pasted his address on the package. 8 months later I get my package back in my mail box with a can't deliver sticker on it. So sometimes things do find there way back to you. :)

Either the post office or FedEx centre will help you with the forms for customs. Get pricing and present it to FiiO and see if they will make arrangements to exchange it locally through one of their reps.

Good Luck!

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #8,542 of 17,484
Hi,

I just wanted to show what I´ve done for my Fiio X3 for everyone that is not satisfied with the 64GB limit. As currently the maximum available for a Micro SD card is 64GB, but my lossless collection is rather near 100GB, I bought this gadget: http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001 which is a SD to Micro SD adapter to be able to use a 128GB SD card for the Fiio X3.

What can I say, it´s working nicely, you just have to be a bit creative where to put the SD card adapter, but apart from that everything is working amazingly:

http://imageshack.com/a/img577/3333/66ax.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img824/6426/6dez.jpg

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #8,543 of 17,484
how much will this cost me, and do I have to fill out export/ customers forms, etc?

Can't say much about cost, as that varies by shipping company/method...

But if I'm not mistaking the CN-22 customs label is all you need for normal mail. Additional forms may be required when using other (quicker) shipping methods, as they can aid in passing customs quicker.
Keep in mind that on labels/documents that can be read by anyone (like the CN-22 label) you want to put a vague and or discouraging item description to prevent people from stealing your package, but don't lie, customs officers don't like that :)
Something like "Defective Electronics" would work for the X3. On the forms/documents that only officials are allowed to read, put the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, as not doing so can lead to your package being in customs for a very long time or even being confiscated...

Another good thing to know is that insurance might not always be the best idea. Insurance might give you peace of mind, but it's also like putting a great big neon sign on your package that says "Hey! Look at this! This contains something that is of value to someone!!". It will increase both chances of being singled out by customs, as well as being stolen. Also, when you do send insured, read the fine print, there's usually some ifs & buts to it...

Also, request that Fiio puts "Repaired under warranty" or something along those lines on the documents when sending it back. It greatly reduces the risk of being charged customs fees. And, if Fiio needs to bill you for some reason, have them send the invoice separately.

Just some tips & tricks from my 10 years of experience with sending & receiving packages all over the planet :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #8,544 of 17,484
FiiO has decided I need to ship my X3 to them in China for "repair". I have to ship it to them at my expense. My question to any of you who have done this as well: how much will this cost me, and do I have to fill out export/ customers forms, etc? I don't know if this is just too much trouble to proceed -- it might be easier to just call it a loss and send it to electronics recycling.

I represent some test equipment from China. For spare part, they will send to me via http://www.sf-express.com/cn/en/. It cheaper than fedex or DHL, fast, but lousy tracking information. It will just show tracking when they collect goods, arrive Hongkong, and that's all, then couple of day, it arrive my office.

Please compare the shipping cost with DHL, EMS, Fedex, etc

Anyway, I think either James or Joe can recommend the save and safe courier for you

Good luck

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #8,545 of 17,484
I received yesterday Fiio X3 and I upgraded from firmware 1.31 to 2.1. In the menu - System settings a new line " USB Mode - Storage" appeared, but clic on this line doesn't have any effect and so it seems impossible to choose USB DAC. Perhaps someone had the same problem, but I was not able to find the post in the Forum. What can I do?

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #8,546 of 17,484
I received yesterday Fiio X3 and I upgraded from firmware 1.31 to 2.1. In the menu - System settings a new line " USB Mode - Storage" appeared, but clic on this line doesn't have any effect and so it seems impossible to choose USB DAC. Perhaps someone had the same problem, but I was not able to find the post in the Forum. What can I do?
Like many of the menu functions Volume up and down change the setting...

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #8,547 of 17,484
Did I miss this in the Manual or is there a way to switch from Album Art to the Lyrics screen while a song is playing? Without having to go all the way back to the player settings to switch it as that blows away the file selection position in the browser.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #8,548 of 17,484
Another glaring bug is there should be a time out that returns the player back to the now playing screen when music is playing. If I hit the back button and leave it at the selection screen or hold the back button for the information screen after a few seconds of button inactivity the player should return by itself to the now playing screen. File this as a bug too since it should be a default operation.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #8,549 of 17,484
LiteKirby, Thanks so much for the information! I hope that I don't have nearly as many issues as so many seem to be having as I'm looking forward to hearing a DAP that "should" be a step up from either the Sansa Clip Zip or iPod. The only headphones I plan on using with the X3 are either portable ones like the B&W P7's or IEM's like my 4R's so I imagine that it'll have more than enough juice for either. 

Are there any other known cases for the X3 that allows for clipping it to your pocket or wearing it on your belt? I see the Tuff-Luv case above and though its VERY nice I'm looking for one that's scaled down a bit if possible. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #8,550 of 17,484
Another glaring bug is there should be a time out that returns the player back to the now playing screen when music is playing. If I hit the back button and leave it at the selection screen or hold the back button for the information screen after a few seconds of button inactivity the player should return by itself to the now playing screen. File this as a bug too since it should be a default operation.

Personally, I like it the way it is. When I go to *whatever menu* while playing and get distracted for a bit, I can just continue where I left off, rather than having to go through a number of additional actions a second time.

But I see your point and understand that others might like it the way you describe. So it would be a nice feature to have if it can be turned on/off and has a user selectable time out.

Anyway, IMHO this should not be considered a bug, it's a feature request...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back