The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #6,961 of 17,484
Just recently got my X3 through the Adorama sale...

A few questions/observations:

1) Upgraded to the latest firmware after a few days.  Started hearing the dreaded "popping" noise, mostly just before playback, almost always from startup.  It's not created any problems with playback, but it is distressing nonetheless...

2) This thread is huge, but I've sampled posts here and there regarding file browsing.  My only issue so far has been if I have artists with multiple albums, there is no way to browse by Artist and then by Album...you get every single track from every single album.  Is there any workaround to this?  Something to hope FiiO fixes in a firmware upgrade?

3) Some screen protector questions...one was on the player out of the box, 2 new in the box.  There were a few air bubbles under the screen protector...I attempted to peel off the sticker, which wouldn't come off cleanly and left a ton of adhesive.  Now the screen protector is nothing but air bubble pockets and cosmetically looks pretty bad.  Any tips on putting on one of the new ones?  Can you even find extras to buy if you need to?  I found this listing and was wondering if anyone's tried these yet:  http://xoskins.com/media-player-skin-protectors/fiio-screen-protectors/fiio-x3-screen-protector

4) This has only happened once, but...the player was idle and turned itself off.  Wouldn't start up again until I plugged in the USB cord and began a charge.  Should I have hit the reset button?

Other than those issues, have been enjoying the sound quality of all my 16/44, 24/96, and 24/192 FLAC files.  Amplification is more than adequate for my Beyerdynamic DT1350s.  I noticed a slight cyclic noise when I turned my amp all the way up when I tried it out as a DAC, but this didn't get in the way of the sound of files during playback at a lower volume.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #6,962 of 17,484
  Today I successfully added the SDHC adapter with a 128GB card to my X3. I put a piece of wire under the flat cable that comes out of the adapter and just taped the whole mess to the back of the X3. It all fits inside the rubber case nicely. I am using a Lexmark "Professional 400X' SDXC card that I formatted to FAT32. It seems to be working nicely. So $40 for the adapter and $130 for the SDXC card and it's done. It was easy and fun and now I have twice the tunes to carry with. Thanks to Buruma for the help in getting this going!

Back view, not slight bump

Not clear but it says 119. GB.

Still slim.

That looks really good!

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #6,963 of 17,484
  Been looking at that one myself. How's the cable on it? Some of the comments on that site say the cable seems fraglie. I figure between this adapter and a 128gb Patriot card, I could be set for only ~$100.

The ribbon cable is fine for what it is. As long you make sure the adapter stays put (e.g. with double-sided tape) you won't have any issues but all those ribbon adapters aren't made to withstand a lot of tug and pull so 'letting it dangle' isn't recommended. I shrink-wrapped one of these adapters and did the same with the cable (after folding it in to shorten it) a few years back and that adapter is still going strong.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #6,965 of 17,484
Just bought x3 and facing a strange problem. Same songs when played in DAC mode are getting played fine but in DAP mode, I hear loud popping and crackling. I am using the same earphone (CKM 500).Could someone please help? I am on latest firmware.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #6,966 of 17,484
Just bought x3 and facing a strange problem. Same songs when played in DAC mode are getting played fine but in DAP mode, I hear loud popping and crackling. I am using the same earphone (CKM 500).Could someone please help? I am on latest firmware.

Dumb question ( from me)but where is your headphones plugged into? Are using an amp, explain the scenario more please.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #6,968 of 17,484
So just got my x3, read a little of the user guide. Is this right? You have to use a card to upgrade firmware and it has to be empty? Not a huge deal I guess but I don't have empty microsd cards lying around. And I'm not going to delete/add 30gb of music every time I want to upgrade firmware.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #6,969 of 17,484
So just got my x3, read a little of the user guide. Is this right? You have to use a card to upgrade firmware and it has to be empty? Not a huge deal I guess but I don't have empty microsd cards lying around. And I'm not going to delete/add 30gb of music every time I want to upgrade firmware.

Just got mine too - not only that, but it has to be a 32gb microsd. Hmm.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6,971 of 17,484
Got my X3 today. Charged it for 4 hours. Turned it on and received this message that I can't read then it shuts off after 4 or 5 seconds. Anyone know what's wrong? There appears to be an error message over the language select opening screen. Button pushes while it is up do nothing and it just shuts off.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #6,972 of 17,484
  Got my X3 today. Charged it for 4 hours. Turned it on and received this message that I can't read then it shuts off after 4 or 5 seconds. Anyone know what's wrong? There appears to be an error message over the language select opening screen. Button pushes while it is up do nothing and it just shuts off.

You have enabled key lock! Move the lever "HOLD" on the right side of the player.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #6,974 of 17,484

Do you have any old phones around? I found a 1GB card in an old Samsung feature phone I had in a drawer. If not, the 1GB cards must be dirt cheap on eBay. Your local phone store probably has a drawer full of them, too, you could ask around.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #6,975 of 17,484
RE: Upgrade with an empty card.....

When I got my X3 I used a fully loaded 64GB card to upgrade the firmware. I put the Firmware in the root on the card and gave it a try. It worked fine. You may have a different result but my player survived. I have since purchased a 4GB card cheap and I keep that around for future upgrades. But again, I used a nearly full 64 GB card successfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back